Week 1 - Washington: Racial Slurs, Openers & No. Virginian Rednecks

Started by MDS, August 31, 2017, 11:53:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhillyPhreak54

Pretty good summary, SD.

I agree at RB. I like Blount and he has a role here but an every down back isn't that role. We know he's not a polished receiver and he especially isn't going to succeed if Pederson wants to run out of the goddamn shotgun. I know they don't have a FB but they could use Celek or Burton as a lead sometimes. Or just a plain old single back set with Wentz under center would be better than the slow developing running plays out of shotgun. Its one thing to have Sproles there who can get moving quick - but Blount's slothlike acceleration ain't built for that.

Smallwood, I think, can play. He's shown some flashes but I think the OL not really opening much up yesterday didn't help. He's got this year to show he can do something otherwise peace out.

The front 7 needs to continue to play like they did for them to stand any chance of being a good team. McLeod and Jenkins are nice safeties and I like Mills but they need that pressure to make up for the CB problem. Robinson played ok but I think he's going to get picked on pretty quick. Its my hope that Douglas (I always wanna call him Rasul Butler) can be a good player.

QB Eagles

I disagree with a bunch of those points.

- I thought the O line was giving Wentz enough time to get rid of the ball on many plays, but he was taking his sweet time waiting for receivers to get open. If the pocket collapses after a few seconds, to me that's not indicative of bad pass protection, that's what eventually happens to every pocket when you hold onto the ball too long. Obviously the O line play was not perfect, and Big V is not Peters by any stretch of the imagination, but I didn't think they protected like shtein at all.

- In short yardage situations, I thought the O line was bad in run blocking. Maybe they won't look as bad against worse D lines. I agree that Blount and Smallwood didn't do much in early downs. But it should also be said that running plays were rare in this game, so no one really got a chance to get going.

- The CBs were atrocious. A QB who was playing well would have carved them up. Even with Cousins' rough day, there were still a number of Washington drops that would have gained serious yardage. Obviously I don't have the All-22 but from what I could see, I saw many receivers wide open.

- Doug (actually Wentz on the 4th down) called a TO with 2:02 left because the play clock was at 1 second after their attempt to get Washington to jump offsides.

- I thought Bradham played fine overall, but just stood out negatively on a few plays. He had a dumb costly holding penalty... he's not known for being an intellectual. He also didn't reel in that pick early on, but who cares. He made a bigtime play just jumping the route in the first place. He was one of the players that Chris Thompson made fools of on his beastmode TD. He was actually the person in coverage, a blatant mismatch that Cousins exploited. To me the villain of that play was Corey Graham, who missed a tackle and took out a couple other Eagles in the process.

ice grillin you

Quote from: QB Eagles on September 11, 2017, 09:59:53 AM
I disagree with a bunch of those points.

- I thought the O line was giving Wentz enough time to get rid of the ball on many plays, but he was taking his sweet time waiting for receivers to get open.

yeah the time was fine...wentz had mad happy feet yesterday and as i mentioned in the thread yesterday he still has trouble throwing to spots...he can throw to a receiver but he cant yet take a three step drop and throw the ball to an area that he trusts a wr is going to be....the slant to jeffery was the only time he did it yesterday and he rarely did it last year
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

MDS

you can complain about 1000 different things, as we have, but remember this:

their last 2 road division wins, in competitive games, were against a hobbled tony romo and matt cassel.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

SD

We must have watched a different game. I re-watched the game this morning and thought the pass blocking was even worse than what I thought it was yesterday. Wentz never really gets a pocket, when he does it's on designed short yardage plays, when he needs time there's a false pocket that looks like it's forming then collapses on top of him. A lot of the middle of the field throws were on rollouts or he steps out of the pocket to make a throw.

Quote- In short yardage situations, I thought the O line was bad in run blocking. Maybe they won't look as bad against worse D lines. I agree that Blount and Smallwood didn't do much in early downs. But it should also be said that running plays were rare in this game, so no one really got a chance to get going.

I don't disagree with the short yardage run blocking. Most teams employ a RBC. Run pass ratio was 24 rush attempts to 39 passing plays, that's not horrible. It's a passing league. I would have liked to see them establish the run but they're going to ride Wentz.

Quote- The CBs were atrocious. A QB who was playing well would have carved them up. Even with Cousins' rough day, there were still a number of Washington drops that would have gained serious yardage. Obviously I don't have the All-22 but from what I could see, I saw many receivers wide open.

Cousins is a high efficiency QB. He's carved the Eagles D over the past 3 seasons. He barely passed for over 50% and their passing plays only averaged 4.5 yards per pass. Sure the D line was awesome, but saying the CBs were atrocious is a joke. Pryor had a few nice catches because he's a good WR, Crowder was non existent. Reed was covered by CBs for most of the game and had little impact.

Quote- I thought Bradham played fine overall, but just stood out negatively on a few plays. He had a dumb costly holding penalty... he's not known for being an intellectual. He also didn't reel in that pick early on, but who cares. He made a bigtime play just jumping the route in the first place. He was one of the players that Chris Thompson made fools of on his beastmode TD. He was actually the person in coverage, a blatant mismatch that Cousins exploited. To me the villain of that play was Corey Graham, who missed a tackle and took out a couple other Eagles in the process.

Bradham looked lost in pass coverage and missed more than just a few tackles. He couldn't get off blocks either. Again, it's week one, the first team D hasn't had a lot of reps. I was just making an observation about the LBs in general. Kendricks needs to get more playing time. Upon second watch he wasn't on the field as much as I thought he was but he was flying all over the field.

PhillyPhreak54

Quote from: ice grillin you on September 10, 2017, 05:46:41 PM
Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on September 10, 2017, 05:33:08 PM
Quote from: ice grillin you on September 10, 2017, 05:12:48 PM
Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on September 10, 2017, 05:09:38 PM
Quote from: MDS on September 10, 2017, 05:05:33 PM
darby news is as good as it could be

an Rapoport‏Verified account @RapSheet  3m3 minutes ago
More
Sources: #Eagles CB Ronald Darby has suffered a dislocated right ankle. X-Rays were negative. MRI to check for ligament & tendon damage

Proftooball doc dude says if no surgery he may come back mid year

lol you are something else...but don't ever stop

Sidney jones save us

Explain yourself

What in your little world is wrong with what I said? It's what a former NFL team doctor said. Go have another LI

he's out for the year but I could probably get trumps doctor to make him probable for next week

Yo Doc...good call.

Tomahawk

Quote from: SD on September 11, 2017, 09:13:51 AM
Didn't bother reading this thread, some random thoughts:

- Wentz looked sloppy. It was game 1 and he was under duress and didn't get much reps in the preseason games so it's not a concern.

Had you bothered to read the thread, you would understand that Wentz farging sucks.

If he's willing to repeat himself, igy will fill you in on the details

smeags

If guns kill people then spoons made Rosie O'Donnel a fatass.

Quote from: ice grillin you on March 16, 2008, 03:38:24 PM
phillies will be under 500 this year...book it

ice grillin you

Quote from: SD on September 11, 2017, 11:00:18 AM
We must have watched a different game. I re-watched the game this morning and thought the pass blocking was even worse than what I thought it was yesterday. Wentz never really gets a pocket, when he does it's on designed short yardage plays, when he needs time there's a false pocket that looks like it's forming then collapses on top of him. A lot of the middle of the field throws were on rollouts or he steps out of the pocket to make a throw.

to often he steps out of the pocket to quickly....he also had a problem with holding the ball for too long....i doubt you feel like paying for it but its more than worth it to get the nfl game pass that gives you the all 22 film...you can see how many times someone is open almost right away but wentz doesnt see the man or is reluctant to throw the ball...im not saying the line was great but it also wasnt awful and was certainly adequate in yesterdays game

i dont think wentz was terrible or anything he had a solid day....but between the pick 6 and the pts he left on the field with his inaccurate under throwing on deep balls if i had to pick i would say the qb was a bigger issue yesterday than the line

MDS

Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

PhillyPhreak54

Doubt you'll get an answer there.

On another note: yesterday was the first win without a run longer than 7 yards since 10/27/96 vs Carolina per Roob

ice grillin you

Quote from: MDS on September 11, 2017, 01:03:30 PM
is wentz better than cousins

not now....but cousins has no ceiling where as wentz has a considerable one

Sgt PSN

Quote from: ice grillin you on September 11, 2017, 01:16:00 PM
Quote from: MDS on September 11, 2017, 01:03:30 PM
is wentz better than cousins

not now....but cousins has no ceiling where as wentz has a considerable one

His ceiling is the kingdom of heaven.

MDS

SD