Game of Thrones

Started by Diomedes, February 24, 2013, 07:52:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Munson

I'm slowly coming to the realization that Jaime is probably going to die at some point. His character has been redeemed in the eyes of the viewers/readers and Brienne, but he can never regain his honor in that world. No matter how the story ends, his story will always feel incomplete if he isn't either redeemed in Westeros as an honorable man, or dead...and I don't think the former is possible.
Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

Eagles_Legendz

The kinslaying was unique to the show.  He didn't kill his cousin in the books.  Not sure what the guest right is referencing.

How far did you read in the books Munson?

QB Eagles

Quote from: Eagles_Legendz on December 23, 2014, 11:36:06 PM
Not sure what the guest right is referencing.

Pushing a host's kid out of a window.

QB Eagles

BTW, that gives Jaime kinslaying (at least on TV), breaking guest/host right (against a defenseless child), kingslaying, decades of incest and spawning incest kids.... he's hit for the cycle.

He might be a sympathetic character now, but by the laws of Westeros and the gods, he is the biggest dirtbag in the Seven Kingdoms.

Munson

Quote from: Eagles_Legendz on December 23, 2014, 11:36:06 PM
The kinslaying was unique to the show.  He didn't kill his cousin in the books.  Not sure what the guest right is referencing.

How far did you read in the books Munson?
Still haven't read ahead. Read most of book 3 minus some of the Jon/Sam chapters at the end that you warned me to avoid haha.

Just been thinking about where he fits in the final puzzle, and I can't see him regaining his honor no matter what he does, at least not in the eyes of Westeros, which makes me think he dies at some point before the story is over.

I really love him now, so it'll suck if he doesn't make it.  It's crazy how much my feelings about him have changed since the start of the show.
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

QB Eagles

I think he's on the road to redemption and will ultimately get a chance to sacrifice himself for the greater good. But then again it's GoT so he might just catch syphillis from Cersei (who fargs every blond guy in Westeros) and die.

Eagles_Legendz

I forgot about Bran in terms of guest right.  I never think of it that way but I suppose it would count so that's a good call.

He's definitely interesting.  He's obviously my favorite character because I find him to be compelling and complex.  NCW does a good job with the character on the show but obviously reading inside his head in the book helps draw it out some.

smeags

yeah im pretty sure there is more from the 3rd book that will need to be brought up. im not reading books 4 & 5. not just because of the cold reviews i have seen but i want to watch the rest of the series not knowing whats coming next.
If guns kill people then spoons made Rosie O'Donnel a fatass.

Quote from: ice grillin you on March 16, 2008, 03:38:24 PM
phillies will be under 500 this year...book it

Munson

Most people I've talked to said initially that they liked 5 the least, but as time went on the ended up liking it more than Feast. I'm excited for this season to happen, but also excited because it'll mean I can finally read on, since they'll presumably get the rest of book 3 done and most of book 4 and 5 (that isn't Greyjoy)

smeags

i'll probably read 4 & 5 after the series ends. again eventhough the crazy events of the red & purple weddings were shocking to see on screen, knowing about them ahead of time def took some of the wow factor away.

on an unrelated note - i got silmarillion on google play books and started reading it again. got 1/2 way through last time before i got frustrated. this time its def easier to follow.

Eagles_Legendz

5 is definitely better than 4.  They're both too sprawling though with too many POV characters.

The show is apparently really streamlining them into this one season which is a good thing.   Jaime's storyline though coming up (based on filming reports) is wildly different than in the books.

smeags

i do know jaime's story is being changed big time. the new storyline seems like it could be a real good one though.

Eagles_Legendz

Quote from: smeags on December 23, 2014, 04:59:41 PM
Be interesting to see where they start. This season because there are some key events I think they did not get to.

No doubt,I'll rewatch the entire series to date when they play it before the new season starts.

They're opening the season on a flashback - the first of the series.

smeags

are there any trailers out there for this season ?

Eagles_Legendz

Nope that was a story in EW. 

Trailer last year came out mid-January so that's probably when the first will arrive.  They're done shooting.