2009 Phillies Offseason Thread

Started by MDS, November 05, 2009, 12:05:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rome

Who wouldn't?

Blanton is a good pitcher, though, so getting him for $8M/year is pretty good especially considering what other bags of balls are getting paid around the Majors these days.

SunMo

7 million this year, 8.5 the next 2 years.

helps the budget out this year
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

Sgt PSN

it's a solid move without a doubt.  good baseball move, good fiscal move.  it just seems like the phils are now taking the a similar approach as the eagles where they had a legit chance to improve the roster, if only for this year and make themselves ws front runners and they opted to go on the cheap and "invest" in future stability.  granted, i guess i should give them the benefit of the doubt seeing as they made back-to-back ws appearances and won 1 of them, but they practically had a historic team assembled for about 10 minutes with lee and halladay on the roster at the same time and they didn't go all in.  where the farg is jim fassell when you need him?  oh yeah, he's coaching in that upstart football league. 

BigEd76

the leftover money (about $2M-$3M) is going to be used on a reliever when the prices come down

MDS

3 year extension for vic, too. not sure of the $ but its probably around 4.5 or 5.

basically they have a 3 year window before its over. this much is obvious. get it done then you dorks.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

Sgt PSN

is the ext on vic actually done or still in the works? 

MDS

zolecki says its done or as good as done

i was off. 22 mil for the 3 years. solid deal.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

SunMo

i can't believe werth is still on this team after this year, but we'll see, which kind of sucks.  i would have rather kept werth over victorino.

Rome

that's only because you think werth is dead sexy.

Sgt PSN

MDS

its one of werth or choke. thing is they have domonic brown and you can find a random leftfielder any day of the week. so werth might be gone.

SunMo

unless werth is ibanez's replacement and brown moves into werth's spot

PhillyGirl

All of you shut yer yaps.

Werth = all star.

:)
"Oh, yeah. They'll still boo. They have to. They're born to boo. Just now, they'll only boo with two Os instead of like four." - Larry Andersen

PhillyGirl

"Oh, yeah. They'll still boo. They have to. They're born to boo. Just now, they'll only boo with two Os instead of like four." - Larry Andersen

MDS

why not

either a 5th starter or a pen arm.