2009 Phillies Offseason Thread

Started by MDS, November 05, 2009, 12:05:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhillyGirl

Quote from: reese125 on December 15, 2009, 11:15:04 AM
Quote from: ice grillin you on December 15, 2009, 10:55:27 AM
i wouldnt say its exactly a wash because halladay is definitely better than lee

no question he is, but i was going off the idea of having (2) pitchers that can come in and be lights out come playoff time. you just traded CY Young for Cy Young--wheres the huge benefit?

The benefit lies in the fact that Halladay was willing to work on the extension and take less than market to play for a winner. Lee was not. He wanted much more money and wasn't really interested in an extension this year. He wanted to test the market. If he did, after next season, he'd walk for nothing.
"Oh, yeah. They'll still boo. They have to. They're born to boo. Just now, they'll only boo with two Os instead of like four." - Larry Andersen

ice grillin you

Quote from: reese125 on December 15, 2009, 11:15:04 AM
Quote from: ice grillin you on December 15, 2009, 10:55:27 AM
i wouldnt say its exactly a wash because halladay is definitely better than lee

no question he is, but i was going off the idea of having (2) pitchers that can come in and be lights out come playoff time. you just traded CY Young for Cy Young--wheres the huge benefit?

you have halladay for four years vs. lee for one

but they definitely could have had both for next year if they wanted to go over their budget...which they apparently did not

the key to this whole deal and really the key to the phillies for the next four years is how good is cole hamels going to be
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

phillycrew

It depends on how Drabek turns out.  I would have preferred to trade Hamels and keep Lee and the prospects.

ice grillin you

they couldnt keep lee and get halladay...he wants a lot more money than halladay...no way they could afford both

no one ever wants to trade prospects...including me...but if they win even one world series with halladay it was worth it...and thats only gonna happen if nicole bucks up and pitches like a true two or in a perfect world an ace even

MDS

the lee trade has to be for the prospects. why not just cut joey big nuts loose if its about the $?
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

Drunkmasterflex

No question the biggest part of this trade is NiCole, if he is close to what he was during the WS series run of '08 this team has a very good shot at winning another.  I can't wait to see how good Doc is in the NL.
Official Sponsor of #58 Trent Cole

The gods made Trent Cole-Sloganizer.net

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

mpmcgraw

QuoteGiven that this seems to be two seperate trades, the reality of the situation is that no matter how good of a pitcher your just not going to get much for them when they only have one year left on a deal and everyone knows they won't even consider signing a contract extension with the team they are with before free agency. I get that, and I think the prospects we got for Lee are actually pretty decent value all things considered.

What kills me is that the only reason Lee is being traded now is because A) money, if it wasn't for money we could have kept Lee in the first place and its also the only reason we are giving up thos prospects B) they felt like if they were going to trade Lee it would have to be right away. Why? I don't know. It makes no sense.

Just goes to show you that the powers that be in the Phillies upper management still have no idea what they are doing. Many of the moves Amaro has made over his tenure have been mind numbingly stupid. Some of them worked out, but more in of throw a bunch of **** at the wall see what sticks kind of way. There is no doubt in my mind the Amaro era is going to be incredibly frustrating

Eaglez

It just seems like there is two strictly separate deals but somehow it is called a "three way trade."  It is essentially a deal between the Phils and Blue Jays and between the Phils and Mariners.  I don't see a reason why a trade with the Blue Jays would bind the Phils to a deal with Seattle, but what it seems is like that because the Phillies got Halladay, they have to trade Lee out of necessity because of payroll ramifications and the idea that they wouldn't be able to keep him long-term so they might as well get something for him now.  So I don't think anything binds the Phils to trade Lee, but they probably feel this is the best way to go since they lost top prospects in the Blue Jays trade. 

We'll see what happens.  I'm happy Halladay is here while the core group of positon players are still in their prime, just hope the Phils keep this franchise competitive after this core is on the decline and they need to plug in farm talent so they don't have a repeat of the 90s and early 2000s. 

Drunkmasterflex

From everything that I have read and heard the $140 million payroll is pretty strict they definitely won't go over it. 

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

ice grillin you

its gonna fun and interesting to watch over the next three years

drabek
taylor
arnaud

vs

aumont
gillies
ramirez

because if the phils dont win a world series with halladay the above matchup will go a long ways in judging how bad this trade was

something else not being talked about that is worth mentioning is that halladay turns 33 in the beginning of the season with a monster amount of innings under his belt...phillies are taking a risk there as well...lets hope he isnt on his way downhill starting this season

reese125

Yep-he's got like 2000 innings to Lee's 1100, not to mention he's a sinker ball pitcher which could effectivey reduce his endurance and power even more as age creeps up

LBIggle

sweet, so the still still only win 2 games in the series at this point.  i don't what all the rumblings about the payroll are.  they shipped doc over with $6 million too.  in essence they chose having blanton for a year over having lee.

Drunkmasterflex

Supposedly he is a tireless worker and that may help as far as his longevity.  I agree with IGY it will be interesting to see how these prospects turnout.  I really hate the idea of giving up Drabek, but I guess that is the price you pay for a guy like Doc.

Seabiscuit36

The Gilles kid supposedly is the french canadian deaf version of VIC, who knows.  I'm happy they kept Brown though. 
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

ice grillin you

the phillie prospects are rated much much higher than the mariner prospects...seattle fans and more and more the organization seem to think of aumont like the phillie people did carrasco last year

now that doesnt mean that the guys the phillies got wont be better or maybe all six of them flop but the guys the phillies gave up are way ahead of the mariner guys in terms of major league potential