2009 Phillies Offseason Thread

Started by MDS, November 05, 2009, 12:05:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhillyPhreak54

Quote from: BigEd76 on December 14, 2009, 10:32:34 PM
They're trading Lee simply for a salary dump.  Damn Moyer....

Jay -- it's basically this:

Lee to Seattle for Aumont (Frenchie from Quebec) and Gillies (Vancouver deaf boy)

Halladay + $6M to Philly for Drabek, Taylor and d'Arnaud

lol - are the Frenchman and Hellen Keller any good?

Why two separate deals? Why wouldn't this be a three team deal?

Dump Lee AND get $6M? Are these fargs crying poor again?

shtein, I have a lot of reading to do to catch up on this.

And why not dump Blanton and keep Lee?

Drunkmasterflex

Quote from: QB Eagles on December 14, 2009, 10:30:15 PM
Quote from: Eagles_Legendz on December 14, 2009, 10:27:12 PM
Zolecki is saying none of the prospects from Seattle are going to Toronto, which means it's two separate trades, which is just farging dumb.  KEEP Lee and find someone to take Blanton, it really wouldn't be that hard.

They'd end up letting Lee leave at the end of the year for nothing.

It wouldn't be nothing if they won a WS.
Official Sponsor of #58 Trent Cole

The gods made Trent Cole-Sloganizer.net

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

MDS

cant they make the 9m back by raising ticket prices? theyd still get 45k a night.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

PhillyGirl

Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on December 14, 2009, 10:37:36 PM
Quote from: BigEd76 on December 14, 2009, 10:32:34 PM
They're trading Lee simply for a salary dump.  Damn Moyer....

Jay -- it's basically this:

Lee to Seattle for Aumont (Frenchie from Quebec) and Gillies (Vancouver deaf boy)

Halladay + $6M to Philly for Drabek, Taylor and d'Arnaud

lol - are the Frenchman and Hellen Keller any good?

Why two separate deals? Why wouldn't this be a three team deal?

Dump Lee AND get $6M? Are these fargs crying poor again?

shtein, I have a lot of reading to do to catch up on this.

And why not dump Blanton and keep Lee?

I'm pretty sure dumping Blanton means they still have to pay his salary this year.
"Oh, yeah. They'll still boo. They have to. They're born to boo. Just now, they'll only boo with two Os instead of like four." - Larry Andersen

BigEd76

Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on December 14, 2009, 10:37:36 PMlol - are the Frenchman and Hellen Keller any good?

Aumont was picked 8 spots ahead of Savery two years ago...decent righty pitching prospect that was converted to reliever to get him to AA faster

Gillies was in the Futures game this summer and is a speedy CF and leadoff hitter

PhillyPhreak54

PhillyPhreak54

Non-tender Blanton...that would be an option, right? Can they do that?

When Lee bolts as a FA, they get two picks/.

Eaglez

QuoteAnd why not dump Blanton and keep Lee?

Do you think Blanton has as much value as Lee? 

Either way I don't think I'm going to be completely satisfied with this trade.  If anything I'm going to probably feel like it will be somewhat of a wash if the Phils have to give away top prospects.  If they are concerned about payroll now why would they ship off their top pitching prospect and one of their top OF prospects who may see playing time soon with an aging Ibanez and Victorino and Werth looking for huge paydays once they hit the FA market in a couple of seasons? 

They know their own finances better than I do but on its face it seems like there could be bigger financial troubles/deficiency of prospects down the road.

Eagles_Legendz

People this is not complicated.  If it's a separate deal, keep Lee for a year.  If he walks after the season you get 2 first rd picks.  Blanton is a FA too.  Blanton only has a 1 yr deal for ~ 7 mil.  There are literally tons of teams that would take Blanton for that price.  Keep Lee, trade Blanton.  You don't get as many prospects back but you get your salary relief and you get to be the best team in baseball for at least a year AND you get picks next year.

MDS

doc
lee
hamels
kendrick
moyer

doc
hamels
happ
blanton
kendrick/moyer

i choose #1
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

PhillyGirl

Its the Moyer part that scares me...in either scenario.
"Oh, yeah. They'll still boo. They have to. They're born to boo. Just now, they'll only boo with two Os instead of like four." - Larry Andersen

Drunkmasterflex

Official Sponsor of #58 Trent Cole

The gods made Trent Cole-Sloganizer.net

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Eagles_Legendz

The other thing that makes no sense about this being two separate trades is there is absolutely no rush to trade Lee.  If you're going to trade Halladay and want to trade Lee to help replenish the farm (which I don't agree with), you have all winter to shop him, or Blanton, or Victorino, or anyone else you want to get prospects back.  No need to ship anyone now if you aren't using the Mariners prospects to get Roy.

LBIggle

if their seriously trading any of their top teir prospects then there's no reason not to tell the m's to farg off and have doc and lee in the rotation together next year.  non tender blanton.. give doc his extension.. and let lee walk and get the 2 picks for him.

i think its stupid to give away any prospects especially outfield ones when that means their going to be throwing money at all 3 outfield positions over the next 2 off seasons and they will still have howard coming up, but i guess if it meant landing doc.. go for it.  they'll need both to actually win the series in '10.. if they trade lee they still only win 2 games like last year.  basically it would still be up to the humongous vagina what this team is able to accomplish.

Munson

I went into work assuming this would be cleared up by the time I got off and there still aren't any details? WTF

I really don't like if Lee, Drabek, and Taylor/Brown are leaving....maybe two out of those 4, but not 3. That's fargin retarded.
Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds