2009 Phillies Offseason Thread

Started by MDS, November 05, 2009, 12:05:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ice grillin you

Quote from: Sgt PSN on December 09, 2009, 08:29:13 PM

and now that he only comes with as a 1yr rental, the asking price for him should drop significantly.

not necessarily because toronto can keep him and get multiple #1 picks when he walks at the end of next year
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Sgt PSN

yes necessarily.  his trade value right now is lower than it was at the deadline last season because last year, teams were getting him for 2 playoff runs.  now they only get him for 1.  and lol @ first round picks.  they have the least value compared to first round picks in any other sport. 

see johan santana to the mets.  they got him for a song. 

the picks that toronto would get when he walks at the end of the year are compensation picks.  teams are not allowed to trade their draft picks in baseball. 

ice grillin you

its lower but not significantly...toronto will have no problem getting him for another year and taking the picks...which are big to them because they dont cost anything and are years away from arbitration and free agency...its not like toronto is looking for major league ready players in this deal...

so if you want him now you better blow them away with a deal...and the johan deal if anything raises halladays value as toronto doesnt wanna be crucified like minnesota was in giving away santana...hell they dont wanna be cleveland last year with lee...by keeping him and taking the numbers ones they can just say no one offered them anything close to fair value and they had no choice

Sgt PSN

they won't give him away for peanuts, but his value is definitely lower than it was at the trade deadline.  and while they might not be looking for ml ready players, they definitely want prospects who can/should be ready either late this up coming season or for the start of 2011.  i bet they could get him right now for happ, drabek and some throw in minor leaguer. 

ice grillin you

no chance they would do that....but its a moot point anyway as the phils arent giving up drabek for him

Don Ho

Gazillion dollar question.  When will Drabek be in the lineup?
"Well where does Jack Lord live, or Don Ho?  That's got to be a nice neighborhood"  Jack Singer(Nicholas Cage) in Honeymoon in Vegas.

ice grillin you

barring a disaster in the rotation next year earliest would be a roster expansion sept call up...but most likely he trys to crack the rotation in 2011

MDS

outside shot at this year midseason. most likely rube goes with some sort of inexpensive old guy as the 5, and that has a good shot of blowing up. a cole-like performance at AAA could get him up here sooner.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

ice grillin you

if the phils rotation is in shape it doesnt matter what he does in AAA he isnt coming up

PhillyPhreak54

Quote from: BigEd76 on December 09, 2009, 03:44:34 PM
fap

As nice as it would be, there's no way. Not with the way Amaro has been cramming "budget, budget, budget" down our throats this winter. How would they fit him under their $140M limit? Trading Blanton would be a way to help...but Halladay likely would want an extension. And Amaro said they wouldn't have the payroll to accommodate both Lee and Halladay.

The Gload signing is nice.

ice grillin you

mpmcgraw

Well apparently the Phils came in second for Lyons and he got 3/15 so obviously Rube still has some elbow room. 

BigEd76

Pedro Feliz signed with the EdWades....$4.5M

mpmcgraw

Zolecki says the rumors are real and that the Phillies are definitely in on Halladay with the biggest obstacle being salary. 

The rumor thats being floated right now is Happ and Brown for Halladay.  DO IT.

Drunkmasterflex

If that is truly the case you have to do it.
Official Sponsor of #58 Trent Cole

The gods made Trent Cole-Sloganizer.net

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell