Home Improvements

Started by Wingspan, October 29, 2007, 02:16:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sgt PSN

Like one of those expandable garden hoses?  Dryer hose?  Panty hose? 

PhillyPhreak54

It rubs the lotion on its skin or else it gets the hose again

Sgt PSN

Wtf?  Is thawk building a well inside his house?  Hes gonna throw his baby mama in the hole?!?

PhillyPhreak54

You just gave him an idea

He's gonna rent a backhoe tomorrow and start digging

Diomedes

Quote from: Tomahawk on April 02, 2017, 10:13:21 PM
Anyone have any suggestions on which brand of expandable hoses is the best?

Please no filthy jokes about expandable hoses; this is serious shtein

In my experience they are all more or less disposable. 

Don't leave them pressured up. Don't leave them outside.  In other words, don't do all the things you would normally do with a water hose.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Tomahawk

Quote from: Sgt PSN on April 03, 2017, 12:06:35 AM
Wtf?  Is thawk building a well inside his house?  Hes gonna throw his baby mama in the hole?!?

That woman will never be welcome in my home. Besides that, even a 390F wouldn't be large enough to dig a hole big enough for her fat ass.

Quote from: Diomedes on April 03, 2017, 06:43:04 AM
Quote from: Tomahawk on April 02, 2017, 10:13:21 PM
Anyone have any suggestions on which brand of expandable hoses is the best?

Please no filthy jokes about expandable hoses; this is serious shtein

In my experience they are all more or less disposable. 

Don't leave them pressured up. Don't leave them outside.  In other words, don't do all the things you would normally do with a water hose.

So essentially, buy the cheapest one and plan on replacing it every year or so?

Sgt PSN

If it's garden hose, those As Seen On Tv shrinking/expanding hoses are poorly made...as is pretty much anything that is sold on tv.  My mom bought a couple a few years ago.  They work exactly as intended but aren't built to last.  Cheap plastic valves and connectors break easily.  Maybe there's some better made ones out there that will cost a more premium price, but stay away from the cheap ones.  You might get 1 spring/summer use out of it.   

Do like Dio said.....don't leave pressure in them. Don't get them tangled/kinked up.  Unhook and store inside during the winter if possible.  Even an inexpensive hose should last you several years.  Longer if you take good care of them. 

PhillyPhreak54

Anyone have experience with replacing old cast iron pipes?

My grandmother's house in Phoenixville (built in 1950s) needs the cast iron pipes from her bathroom to the sewage system replaced. What kind of cost am I looking at here?

Anyone know a good plumber in the area up there?

Diomedes

The material cost isn't significant.  It's the labor that's gonna hurt.  Don't know rates up there but in Annapolis/Baltimore area a legit plumber, licensed, insured, etc. starts at around $100 per hour.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

PhillyPhreak54

So I'm guessing probably about $6-10k?

hbionic

You going with a copper re-pipe or pex tubing?
I said watch the game and you will see my spirit manifest.-ILLEAGLE 02/04/05

PhillyPhreak54

Probably the PEX

Gonna have three people bid it just to make sure they're all within the same ballpark

Diomedes

No f'n clue what the cost will be without looking at the situation.  Depends how easily they can access everything/how much stuff has to be opened up and removed, (and then replaced,) etc.   You'll need more than just a plumber.   They don't do drywall or trim carpentry.

hbionic

Sounds like a job for "Home Depot guy"...one of the many standing outside in the parking who can do everything.
I said watch the game and you will see my spirit manifest.-ILLEAGLE 02/04/05

PhillyPhreak54

The drywall and trim can be done by my uncles and cousin, thankfully.

I assuming $10k so if it's less then it feels like a win