Home Improvements

Started by Wingspan, October 29, 2007, 02:16:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tomahawk

So what's the best way to get wallpaper glue off (preferrably in sheets)? Soap and water isn't doing a very impressive job.

Also, I pulled a lot of wooden planks off the wall, but they were glued down instead of being secured by trim nails. Not only did that leave a lot of glue residue on the walls, but it also pulled some of the wall off with it. They're not holes or anything; more like divets. Do I use the mudding compound they use when they hang the drywall originally or is there a better method of patching?

PhillyPhanInDC

For the wallpaper, get one of these at the local hardware store:

They pierce the wallpaper thousands of times. Then use some wallpaper removal solution to break down the adhesive. It'll come off in sheets, but probably not what you are expecting. Removing wallpaper is a zesty job, and takes forever. No getting around it.

For the drywall, just use joint compound if the "divots" aren't too bad. Remember to feather the edge, sand the shtein out of it, and use a tack cloth several times before painting over it. I would also suggest priming so you don't see the patch spots after you've painted.
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.""  R.I.P George.

Drunkmasterflex

Use that tool, but don't by that bullshtein chemical, use a steamer.  That is by far the best way to do it.  I have removed tons of wallpaper and a steamer does the best job. 
Official Sponsor of #58 Trent Cole

The gods made Trent Cole-Sloganizer.net

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Tomahawk

Thanks for the quick replies. Frugality prevents me from using a steamer, but this is what the worst of the "divots" look like:

The plan, as it stands, is to sand all the glue remnants flush, fix the holes, then sand sand and sand some more

Seabiscuit36

if thats a dudes hands, cut your fingernails freak
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

Drunkmasterflex

That is plaster so make sure you use plaster to patch the holes, not drywall mud.  You don't sand plaster you sponge and trowel it as it gets hard.  If you do use drywall mud, put a bonding agent on the holes first. 
Official Sponsor of #58 Trent Cole

The gods made Trent Cole-Sloganizer.net

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Tomahawk

I was guessing it's plaster since it's a 1938 house but wasn't sure. There's a hole around the light switches that was covered by the plate, but there aren't any slats and I thought plaster needed the slats to bond to

And thanks for the great advice PPinDC and Drunkmasterflex-I'm not sure if it was the scoring tool or the Dif solution I bought with it, but the shtein practically fell off the wall. Saved a shtein ton of time and tedious labor

SunMo

burn the house down, get the insurance money, buy a new house
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

Father Demon

I hope you got a good price, what with all that jiz on the walls.
The drawback to marital longevity is your wife always knows when you're really interested in her and when you're just trying to bury it.

PhillyPhreak54

Quote from: Tomahawk on January 06, 2010, 03:12:11 PM
Thanks for the quick replies. Frugality prevents me from using a steamer, but this is what the worst of the "divots" look like:

The plan, as it stands, is to sand all the glue remnants flush, fix the holes, then sand sand and sand some more

Wall photo or money shot under a microscope?

Tomahawk

Little bit of both - that's the aftermath after I spanked off and shot onto the wall

Tomahawk

Quote from: SunMo on January 06, 2010, 05:03:55 PM
burn the house down, get the insurance money, buy a new house

I don't know how well a brick house will burn, but I'll go get gumby-legged drunk tonight and pass out right after I light a cigarette so we can find out

Tomahawk

Sanding the glue down was labor intensive bad idea. Using a 4" scraper works much much better

Eagaholic

here's a nice little piece of equipment you won't to be without when doing those around the house projects

http://www.viddler.com/explore/failblog/videos/350/

phillymic2000

its freakin awesome how the guy continues to sell the ladder after he bounces his face off of it.