07/08 Phillies Offseason Thread

Started by MDS, October 07, 2007, 01:02:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigEd76

ha

well, they were both born in the U.S.

Sgt PSN

Nevermind, I googled him and found a pic.  I vaguely remember him but he played for the Phils from 89-91 and again in 95.  

89-91 I wasn't really watching baseball (I stopped following baseball shortly after Schmidt retired and didn't really get back into it until the mid/late 90's) and in 95 I was living in Seattle so I wasn't watching them on tv either.  

rjs246

Did Charlie Hayes eat a bunch of steroids and have one massive season before fading into oblivion?
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

Sgt PSN

Quote from: BigEd76 on January 28, 2008, 05:24:43 PM
he caught the final out of Terry Mulholland's no-hitter

You remember Terry Mulholland, right?  :-\

According to Wiki, he caught the final out of the 1996 World Series and dorked up Mulholland's perfect game with a throwing error.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlie_Hayes

QuoteHe caught the final out of the New York Yankees' 1996 World Series victory. On August 15, 1990, he was a decisive part of a unique baseball game. While Terry Mulholland pitched a complete game shutout victory, not giving up a single hit, walking, or hitting a batsman, and retired every opposing player he faced, the Giants' Rick Parker reached base on a throwing error by Hayes, spoiling an otherwise perfect game.

Rome

Two years for that stiff is ridiculous.

This is exactly the type of move that always blows up in their faces.  I would rather them have gone with Dobbs/Helms this year and then signed a real third baseman next year.

farging idiots.

ice grillin you

Quote from: SunMo on January 28, 2008, 04:16:38 PM
i'm on record right now...i like it

can i be your vp cause im on board
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

SunMo

what "real" 3b would you like romey?

remember that lidge is a pending FA and may not be here next year...this is the year to go for broke.

Feliz is a better fielding Nunez, with power, and yes a pathetic OBP, get over it...he's a 7 hitter

Quote from: ice grillin you on January 28, 2008, 06:46:58 PM

can i be your vp cause im on board

you didn't even have to ask
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

PhillyPhreak54

Me too.

No more Wes Helms.

More versatility with Dobbs (some RF and LF time or PH) too.

His OBP in the 7 hole means shtein because its not like they have an RBI machine hitting behind him anyways. And really, can he be any worse than that farging automatic out David Bell and the shteinbag Wes Helms?

No.

Rome

People wonder why the Phillies are always coming up short.  Signing stiffs like Pedro Feliz is reason #1.

But sure, let's all be happy that they did "something."  Just like they did last year with Helms.

SD_Eagle5

Quote from: Jerome99RIP on January 28, 2008, 07:47:10 PM
People wonder why the Phillies are always coming up short.  Signing stiffs like Pedro Feliz is reason #1.

But sure, let's all be happy that they did "something."  Just like they did last year with Helms.

They did make a good effort to sign Lowell who aside from A-Rod was the top F/A on the market. They don't have any trade bait so I'm not really sure what more they could have done.

rjs246

They could blow it all up and learn a real sport.

Let them eat bootstraps.

Rome

rjs246

Or, as Rome is suggesting, they could blow it all up and get drunk. Either way, everyone wins.

Let them eat bootstraps.

BigEd76

Quote from: Jerome99RIP on January 28, 2008, 06:25:06 PMthen signed a real third baseman next year.

Chipper Jones
Troy Glaus
Hank Blalock

that's next year's FA 3B.  Not much to choose from....

Geowhizzer

There would have been a time I'd kill for Blalock.  But he's fallen to injury and mediocrity too much the past couple of seasons.