07/08 Phillies Offseason Thread

Started by MDS, October 07, 2007, 01:02:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SD_Eagle5

Even though its the last year of his deal I don't think Carrasco/Kendrick/Bourne get the Bums Santana. Not to mention they'd probably let him play the season then give the old 'we'll deal with his contract when the seasons over' line.

I would have hung onto Nunez

PoopyfaceMcGee

Quote from: Geowhizzer on October 11, 2007, 07:21:28 PM
If the pipe dream of getting Johan Santana came true, I'd cream myself right then and there.

And he would respond by being dominant for 4-5 games, then blowing out his elbow.

Geowhizzer

Quote from: FastFreddie on October 11, 2007, 07:44:49 PM
Quote from: Geowhizzer on October 11, 2007, 07:21:28 PM
If the pipe dream of getting Johan Santana came true, I'd cream myself right then and there.

And he would respond by being dominant for 4-5 games, then blowing out his elbow.

Yeah, but I'd be really REALLY happy for those 4-5 games.

BigEd76

JRoll was named the NL winner of the 2007 Legacy Award (Negro Leagues MVP).  Howard won the same award last year...

MDS

Anyone who wanted to hang on to Abe Nunez is a moron.

Outside of his miraculous May where he hit .338, the next highest batting average for a month was a stifling .224 in June. He finished the year with 0 home runs, despite playing in a little league park. He knocked in a grand total of 16 runs. He is an absolutely putrid player. Putrid. His above average defense is completely useless seeing as the Phillies will get a full time 3B who doesn't need to come out of the game.

But let's keep him around as a pinch hitter, you might say. Well, how about his amazing performance of 1-23 with 2 walks as a pinch hitter this year. And that's not an anomaly, he hit .140 as a PH between 04-06.

He is useless. He is awful. He is terrible. Good. Bye. 

But a nice little fun stat: Juan Pierre's OPS is only .84 points higher than Abe's.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

PhillyPhreak54

Should have whacked Helms too. Bum.

Unless they get a top notch 3B, I'd have kept Abe and cut Helms. Abe can ball defensively.

MDS

I'm guessing they will. Both Helms and Dobbs are under contract for next year, with Dobbs being a great fit off the bench (the 3B they get will be RH, so Dobbs can split in there and for Burrell, and also be a solid bat off the bench). Helms, on the other hand, is terrible. He sucked as both a pinch hitter and a starter, so who gives a shtein what they do with him.

The point is, Abe is farging terrible. His defense was vastly overrated because Helms and Dobbs are so mediocre. They will get a starting 3B and Nunez will not get another job because he is again, farging terrible.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

SD_Eagle5

Quote from: MDS on October 11, 2007, 10:58:35 PM

The point is, Abe is farging terrible. His defense was vastly overrated because Helms and Dobbs are so mediocre. They will get a starting 3B and Nunez will not get another job because he is again, farging terrible.

I disagree with his defense being overrated, he's one hell of a defensive 3rd baseman. He made some plays only a few other 3rd baseman in this league could make and often at crucial times. Offensively he's horrible.

Sgt PSN

Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on October 11, 2007, 10:48:49 PM
Unless they get a top notch 3B, I'd have kept Abe and cut Helms. Abe can ball defensively.

MDS got his yamaka in a bunch when I mentioned it earlier in this thread, but I'd be ok with Abe as the team's 3b next year.  Yes, he's horrible offensively and this team would have 7-9 hitters that wouldn't intimidate a little league pitcher but they can generate enough offense from the 1-6 hitters.  And his defense would easily save a few runs over the year as well.  So even though he might not be knocking runs in, he'd be keeping them off the board for the other team. 

Obviously, that doesn't mean that I wouldn't like to see the Phils land a Lowell or A-Rod type player who can produce at the plate and in the field.  But I think it was stupid for the Phils to announce that they have no intentions of bringing him back before they sign anyone. 

MDS

You want someone two people hitting under .200 in the lineup (Abe and Pitcher) because Abe saves a few runs here and there in an important offensive position. That would be the first time in baseball history someone has an everyday job at third because of his defense. Normally you see that at catcher, with someone like Henry Blanco getting a nice career (for the most part in the AL), or a shortstop (Rey Ordonez comes to mind). Never at third. It's behind center, short, catcher and second in terms of defensive importance and wasting a spot on a pathetic hitter like Abe because of his above average glove is ridiculous and stupid.

Geowhizzer

I was hoping that the Phils would get to DH Dobbs for Nunez in the lineup.  :D

Seriously, if letting Nunez go is a prelude of getting a real starting 3B over the winter, I'm fine with it.

Rome

Quote from: BigEd76 on October 11, 2007, 10:11:56 PM
JRoll was named the NL winner of the 2007 Legacy Award (Negro Leagues MVP).  Howard won the same award last year...

Holliday deserved it.

reese125

Rowand requesting 6 years $84 milion.

See ya. Take care of yourself

ice grillin you

Quote from: Sgt PSN on October 11, 2007, 11:59:56 PM
Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on October 11, 2007, 10:48:49 PM

MDS got his yamaka in a bunch when I mentioned it earlier in this thread, but I'd be ok with Abe as the team's 3b next year.  Yes, he's horrible offensively and this team would have 7-9 hitters that wouldn't intimidate a little league pitcher but they can generate enough offense from the 1-6 hitters.  And his defense would easily save a few runs over the year as well.  So even though he might not be knocking runs in, he'd be keeping them off the board for the other team.  

mds is an idiot...helmes sucks on offense and defense and he says "who cares what they do with him"...abe is a great defensively and sucks hitting and hes the worst player ever

i want a real full time 3rd basemen no doubt...anyone who would want helms or abe starting is crazy...but i also agree with you sarge that having abe start next year would not kill the team.....provided they significantly improve the SP...if they dont do that then you gotta get bashers at every concievable spot in the lineup and try to hit your way to the playoffs

perfect example is the mets...they had a lineup that went 8 deep but had horrible fielding and they lost the division
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

reese125

Quoteperfect example is the mets...they had a lineup that went 8 deep but had horrible fielding and they lost the division

money