Best/Worst liked Dog Breeds

Started by hbionic, July 12, 2007, 07:48:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Diomedes

Quote from: SD on September 23, 2011, 11:39:27 AMInstead of letting him out before bed time, take him for a walk instead.

Seconded.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Seabiscuit36

Finally got her trained Friday night, she's been great since, just having to teach her how to go on the fly wasnt what i was expecting. 
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

Sgt PSN

My dog threw up a little bit on his front foot and was noticeably disgusted by it.  He wouldn't lick himself clean and just stood there with his paw in the air and whimpered like a little bitch.

SD

hbionic

Big whoop?! It's an AT-AT with a dog mask on. Am I supposed to be impressed?
I said watch the game and you will see my spirit manifest.-ILLEAGLE 02/04/05

Diomedes

There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Dillen

My 11 year old lab passed today. He'd been struggling a little for the past couple months but stuff you expect as a dog ages. Then the past 3 days or so he would hardly eat. Wouldn't do anything but make noises like he's uncomfortable. His belly got huge and everywhere else on his body looked really emaciated and boney. I had set up a vet appointment for tomorrow morning but obviously don't need it now. Something was farging up his stomach or intestines, he threw up a couple times and shtein liquid today. So I let him out, he tried to take another shtein and couldn't, then he just laid down. He couldn't get up on his own, so I tried to help him up but he just gave up and laid on his side. Completely out of it, eyes wouldn't look at me, no whining, nothing. Then he just had some form of seizure and was gone. Really really tough to see. Now my other pup's going to get depressed, he had no idea what was going on, but figured it out when he I fed him and let him out, all alone. Never gets any easier.

Geowhizzer

Sorry to hear about your loss, Dillon.

hbionic

Sorry about your loss Dillen.

I heard that you are supposed to let the other dogs or pets lay next to the pet that just passed...so that they can cope and won't be confused. Sounds weird...but it's what I heard.

Again, sorry about your loss.
I said watch the game and you will see my spirit manifest.-ILLEAGLE 02/04/05

Munson

My 18 year old beagle has had bad hips for years now, but not bad bad. He can still walk (albeit with some balance issues sometimes), isn't in pain etc....Well tonight he was walking around and then sat down. I got down on the ground to pet him for a little bit then got up. He got up too, and his right back leg gave out on him.

He tends to twist in strange ways when he sits down and shifts a lot. He's not acting like he's in pain...he isn't crying out, lets me pet and rub his leg/back, pull his leg in and out. And I know he can still feel it because he was pulling his paw away from me when I tried to trim his nails like he usually does. Is it possible he just pinched a nerve/twisted something the wrong way and just needs a day or two?

Because of his age and all I'm assuming the worst, but nothing has changed in his behavior. He's still the same as he ever was, still ate a full dinner, still went out and took a shtein (that was a fun mess to clean off his backside), still laying in his usual sleeping positions. Just strange how it was fine one second and the next he can't hold himself up on the right leg, but isn't in any pain.
Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

Sgt PSN

Depending on the dog's demeanor, he just might not be a whiner.  My lab that I put down last year broke his leg when he was about 2 yrs old and didn't let out a whimper.  I wouldn't have known anything was wrong had he not been hopping around on 3 legs.  And near the end I think it was probably very painful for him to stand up and also to lay back down but he never whined or anything. 

Only advice I can give is to take him to the vet for an xray if it doesn't get better by tomorrow. 

Munson

That's the weird thing...he's usually a big cry baby, especially when it comes to pain. Accident tail steps and the like over the years have led to very loud yelps. even flea infestations in the past brought out the crying and yelping.

He's still having trouble tonight, if it persists tomorrow i"ll have to take him to the vet that I can't afford. If he can't get up and around enough to go to the bathroom I don't really have a choice.
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

Sgt PSN

Hate to say it, but if he can't stand long enough to piss and shtein, then it's time to put him down.  Sorry. 

charlie

Quote from: Dillen on January 01, 2012, 05:31:19 PM
My 11 year old lab passed today. He'd been struggling a little for the past couple months but stuff you expect as a dog ages. Then the past 3 days or so he would hardly eat. Wouldn't do anything but make noises like he's uncomfortable. His belly got huge and everywhere else on his body looked really emaciated and boney. I had set up a vet appointment for tomorrow morning but obviously don't need it now. Something was farging up his stomach or intestines, he threw up a couple times and shtein liquid today. So I let him out, he tried to take another shtein and couldn't, then he just laid down. He couldn't get up on his own, so I tried to help him up but he just gave up and laid on his side. Completely out of it, eyes wouldn't look at me, no whining, nothing. Then he just had some form of seizure and was gone. Really really tough to see. Now my other pup's going to get depressed, he had no idea what was going on, but figured it out when he I fed him and let him out, all alone. Never gets any easier.

Not that it matters now, but your dog probably passed with either a bowel obstruction or a twisted stomach, not aging. Both common among labs. For future reference for the others in your house. A loss of appetite and belly distention should be seen by a vet right away, sometimes a well places massage can cure it, or emergency surgery.

Munson

Did some reading on teh internet and looking at my dog and what i'm finding, it looks like one of his anal sacs is impacted or infected or whatever. The interwebz tells me that when this happens, it could pinch the nerves in the legs and cause them to not work. So sure enough, I took him outside and held his tail straight up in the air in an attempt to relieve pressure on the nerves and he walks around pretty good. I let the tail go, it immediately kinks to the side of the infected sac and his leg gives out on him.

Hopefully this is the problem and a cleaning of the sac will fix his problems. He's lived this long, don't want him to check out because of a butt problem.