Best/Worst liked Dog Breeds

Started by hbionic, July 12, 2007, 07:48:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mussa

they actually have a few diff looks/body types to them. def cool dogs though. very good with kids and very protective.

watchin my sister and my brother in laws rottweiler this weekend. always hated rottweilers due to a close a encounter with one yrs ago. this one is awesome though. i hop on the 4 wheeler and take off and he keeps right up with me. love to get a dog myself but the woman has a pit/lab mix and one is enough right now
Official Sponsor of The Fire Andy Reid Club
"We be plundering the High Sequence Seas For the hidden Treasures of Conservation"

Yeti

I own and always will own Rotties.  So soft and cuddly.

I don't like little dogs.
"It's only a matter of time before we get to the future."

Hbionic

PhillyPhanInDC

Rotts are great until their inbred brains continue to grow/swell and push against their skulls. They are seriously some of the best dogs around, but having seen a nine-year old family dog suddenly snap and attack a child is easily the most traumatic event I've been a part of.

RJS is correct to a point on the pure breeds. The majority of the time you will run into some medical problems with a dog like that. I have had two pure breeds, mostly because I have used the dogs for the purposes they were bred for. My brother just got a Boxer/Lab/Sharpe mix, and that little farger is one cool dog, and other than regular check ups, never has been to the vet. Way to many icehole by a dog as an accessory, like a purse, and it has to be a pure breed. I would say for a pure companionship, a mut wins hands down everytime.
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.""  R.I.P George.

Sgt PSN

Quote from: PPinDC on October 10, 2007, 01:04:09 PM
but having seen a nine-year old family dog suddenly snap and attack a child is easily the most traumatic event I've been a part of.

Even more traumatic than visiting one of Havlock's finest gentleman's clubs?

PhillyPhanInDC

I'm telling you. The blonde midget at Olivia's gives outstanding head.
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.""  R.I.P George.

methdeez

Sgt PSN

Damn.  That dog is friggin huge.  And probably won't be able to walk by the time it turns 5. 

PhillyPhanInDC

A little over two months ago, I had to put my Rhodesian Ridgeback Kaylee down after she was hit by a car. Long story short, we were in the back yard playing fetch, a cat ran by the fence, and Kaylee went over the fence after the cat, I was in the back of the yard with my back to her (picking up a ball). I turned saw she was gone, and then heard tires screech (farged up odds, we live on a very quiet residential street), and that was it. She lived through the impact, but she was too banged up for the vet to help. My wife and I were/are pretty devastated, still are. Fortunately, our daughter is still young enough to not know what's going on. We've been talking about getting another dog eventually, maybe a few months, this time we're leaning toward adoption, most likely a mix. I've owned pure breds all of my life, never adopted, so I'm not sure what's the best way to go about it. With pure breds, mostly hunting dogs in for, you look for specific traits, such as prey drive, etc. There is the disposition, personality and all as well. Any advice for someone combing the local SPCA or adoption clinics?

Diomedes

Nah, I don't know shtein. 

Except that it farging sucks to lose a dog. 

And Ridges are wonderful.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

PhillyPhanInDC

Quote from: Diomedes on April 10, 2008, 06:01:21 PM
Nah, I don't know shtein. 

Except that it farging sucks to lose a dog. 

And Ridges are wonderful.

Yeah. The shteintiest part was the fact that the impact didn't kill her, but completely destroyed her back half. Having to go out and help her get on a blanket, get her blood on my hands and everything, and put her in the car, then sit at the vet with her on the table was rough. It was like as soon as we got her in the car she knew what the deal was. Stopped whimpering and all. She wasn't even three years old.

Diomedes

There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Seabiscuit36

That sucks man.  I've never done the whole SPCA thing, though i donate.  Mostly because I'm a selfish prick, and i want to find a pup that i can put thru my rigorous testing consisting of is the pup happy, do they allow/want me to rub their belly, and how much biting they immediately do/is it violent or just puppy play.  Plus i love staring into their eyes to see how they react.  I sound crazy after that last one, but I've worked at houses in the past where the dogs would go insane if you locked eyes. 
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

Munson

Damn. Sorry about your dog man.

I have no advice as far as searching for a dog goes, but I do know that Beagles have a very long life span. I got mine when I was 5 and he's still goin pretty good 15 years later. That way your daughter can (barring another accident) have the dog and not have to deal with losing it in her tween/early teen years when it's probably hardest on a kid to lose a pet.
Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

Dillen

Just make sure you're ready for a new dog. In November 06 one of mine had died. I wasn't ready, but I needed to get another because my other dog was going into a severe depression. I didn't want to lose two. Even though it sucks to believe, you probably won't ever be completely over it and you don't necessarily want to "replace" her, but a new one helps you focus on the present , then all you will remember about the other dog is how great she was.

Seabiscuit36

Thats true, after our first golden died, all we did was compare our second to how the first was.  Its not fair to the new dog. 
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons