2007 Flyers Offseason Thread

Started by PoopyfaceMcGee, April 10, 2007, 06:14:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seabiscuit36

Quote from: ice grillin you on September 26, 2007, 04:50:57 PM
im actually stunned at how much of a flyer homer youre...never knew you had it in you...you easily equal and one day may surpass any eagle homer...should be a fun year
i lurve you
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

dis12

i think it was the new uniforms.  obviously Downie's is wrapped waaay too tight.
C6 at the WAC

*** SPD ***

BigEd76

Flyers beat the old-school Caps 2-1

ice grillin you

just the symbol easy...the hockey stick capitals is awesome but those uni's blow...they should have went back to the entire uniform...oh yeah bettman wouldnt allow that
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

SD_Eagle5

That symbol reminds me of my hatred for Dale Hunter

ice grillin you

Sens forward McAmmond released from hospital after suffering concussion
Canadian Press   

OTTAWA - The good news for Senators forward Dean McAmmond is nothing was broken in the bone-rattling hit he absorbed from Flyers prospect Steve Downie on Tuesday night.

But there was little other word on the condition of McAmmond, who has had head injuries before.

The Sens issed a short statement Wednesday saying there were no fractures and that he was to see the club's training staff for treatment. McAmmond was released from a local hospital after undergoing an examination following Tuesday's exhibition.

McAmmond suffered a concussion after a hit by Chris Pronger in Game 3 of the Stanley Cup final last June.

The Sens forward had to be wheeled off on a stretcher in the second period Tuesday. Downie received a match penalty - which means an automatic and indefinite suspension pending a review.

In Edmonton, Oilers veteran Shawn Horcoff said hockey is a physical game but that there has to be limits.

"There isn't any room in the game for that," Horcoff said Wednesday. "He showed him no respect. It very well could have ended his career. Mac has some concussion problems as it is, and that one looked pretty severe."

Oilers head coach Craig MacTavish said the hit was a textbook case of what the league is trying to crack down on.

"It's hard to defend the player in that respect," said MacTavish. "Dean I know well, so maybe I'm a little more emotionally attached to what happened, but clearly to me this is something the league was very clear that they were going to try to eliminate.

"I guess the only argument you would have for Steve Downie is that he's trying to make a name for himself and get a (roster) spot, but that's not the way to do it."

The Flyers were leading 2-1 when, at the 2:39 mark of the second, Downie skated the length of the ice and took a run at McAmmond, who had just released the puck while circling behind the Flyers' net and was met by Downie coming around the other side. Downie also appeared to leave his feet as he flattened the veteran.

Downie gained a reputation at the junior level for some nasty play, but the Newmarket, Ont., native said Tuesday's hit wasn't pre-meditated, nor did he intend to go for McAmmond's head.

Oilers forward Andrew Cogliano said he's a good friend and former roommate of Downie.

"It's pretty unfortunate," he said. "It's a hit where he could have used his head a little bit better, but he's trying to find a job in the league and make his name, but I think a lot of guys would agree that was kind of a little bit of a cheap hit, and I think he kind of knows it was, too."

"I didn't mean to hurt him and I hope he's OK," Downie said after the game. "My game's to hit and to finish the check. I'm just trying to earn a spot on the roster. It's part of my game and I apologize for him getting hurt.

"I thought I got him clean. Once we hit the boards after, I asked if he was OK."

The hit had the Sens fuming after the game.

"It was a cheap shot. There's no part in the game for hits like that," said Senators right-winger Brian McGrattan, who was ejected after he sought justice on the offending Downie. "A guy can't defend himself and you take a 40-foot run and jump and hit him. Hopefully the league takes a look at it. Those are the hits we don't want in our game.

"You don't want to see stuff like that. We're not out there to kill each other."

McGrattan later went on to issue a warning.

"He'll get what's coming to him," said McGrattan. "He'll do it to the wrong guy and somebody will put him out of hockey. You do that at his level a couple of times, guys in junior won't do it, but guys at this level will.

"He'll get what's coming to him next time we play him, that's for sure."

Rome

So, let me get this straight - there's no place in hockey for "dirty" hits but there is a place for threats of ending another player's career?

I see.

:-D

Seabiscuit36

"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

SunMo

I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

Seabiscuit36

Quote from: SunMo on September 27, 2007, 02:50:49 PM
Cam Janssen hit on Thomas Kaberle

More atrocious than the hit is the announcer trying to justify it
Thats the exact case i was making.  There is no way that Downie's was worse than that.  What annoys me is the league is having a special hearing for Downie tomorrow about his hit, meanwhile Cam Janssen had a 2 game suspension without a hearing. 

If Mike Richards had delivered that hit, this would not have been as big an issue.  What a kid does in Juniors should hold no bearing on the league he's in now.  The NFL has set that precedent, I really want to see what the NHLPA does? 

Seabiscuit36

SunMo

I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

ice grillin you

little higher than i thought but i told you his history plus the downright brazeness of the play would bang him hard

the 20 comes from the nhl trying to pay more attention to head injuries...something that needs to be done...concussions are becoming an epidemic in the league

Seabiscuit36

Bertuzzi served 20 games for trying to kill Steve Moore
:-D
The Longest NHL Suspensions:

The Rest Of The Season (minimum 25 games)
Chris Simon of the New York Islanders, for a slash to the face of the Rangers' Ryan Hollweg in March 2007. Simon misses 15 regular season games plus all of the Islanders' playoff games. The suspension carries over to 2007-08 if necessary to meet the 25-game minimum.

The Rest Of The Season (23 games)
Marty McSorley of the Boston Bruins, for knocking out Vancouver's Donald Brashear by swinging a stick at his head in March, 2000. McSorley misses 23 regular season games.

The Rest Of The Season (20 games)
Todd Bertuzzi of the Vancouver Canucks, for serious injuries sustained by Colorado's Steve Moore when Bertuzzi jumped him from behind in March, 2004. Bertuzzi misses 13 regular season games, plus seven playoff games. His suspension is listed as indefinite, but the following season is cancelled due to a labor dispute and he is allowed to return when the NHL resumes in the fall of 2005.

23 Games
Gordie Dwyer of the Tampa Bay Lightning, for abusing officials and leaving the penalty box to fight in a pre-season game against the Washington Capitals in September, 2000.

21 games
Dale Hunter of the Washington Capitals, for a hit on Pierre Turgeon of the New York Islanders while Turgeon celebrates a goal in the 1993 playoffs.

20 games
Tom Lysiak of the Chicago Blackhawks, for intentionally tripping a linesman in October, 1983.

20 games
Brad May of the Phoenix Coyotes, for a slash to the head of Columbus' Steve Heinze in November, 2000.

16 games
Eddie Shore of the Boston Bruins, for hitting Toronto's Ace Bailey over the head with his stick in 1933.

yup, a body check fits right in there...

What a mickey mouse league