2007 Philadelphia Phillies Thread - DIVISION CHAMPS MOTHER fargER!!!!

Started by SunMo, March 26, 2007, 01:11:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geowhizzer

Quote from: rjs246 on April 12, 2007, 08:06:08 PM
Thank god Rollins swings for the fence every at bat and strikes out 110 times a year. He sure is a good leadoff hitter.

Only hit 110 strikeouts once, hasn't had more than 80 in the past three seasons:

2001:  14 HR, 108 K
2002:  11 HR, 103 K
2003:    8 HR, 110 K
2004:  14 HR,   73 K
2005:  12 HR,   71 K
2006:  25 HR,   80 K

rjs246

Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

SunMo

his OBP sucks, granted.  but he scores a ton of runs, so he must be doing something right
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

Geowhizzer

Quote from: rjs246 on April 12, 2007, 08:10:53 PM
.330 career OBP.  Awesome!

I said nothing about his career OBP, which is below par for a traditional leadoff hitter.  I've always personally believed that Rollins would make a much better #2 hitter.

However, you talked of going for the homerun and striking out "110 times a year."  That is just not the case, no matter how you want to spin it to be able to continue to post your vitriolic attacks about a sport which you claim to not care for at all.

PoopyfaceMcGee

Howard should be batting leadoff with Rollins in the 4-hole.

SunMo

rjs246

I just like to stir the pot. Rollins is miscast as a leadoff man and the love he gets is ridiculous.
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

ice grillin you

I'm waiting for IGY to step in and be a complete buzzkill

howard will do that fine all by himself
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

PoopyfaceMcGee

SunMo

ice grillin you

howard on the year

11 k's
11 hits + rbi

and the worst part is he just looks brutal doing it

ice grillin you

id like to know what % of runs the phils have scored this year are off homers...aint a damn thing changed...they dont homer they dont win

quick...someone figure it out

Geowhizzer

Burrell just got under one.  Warning track power.

With a one-run deficit, I should be more hopeful.  I already am chalking this one as a loss.  2-7.

SD_Eagle5

Howard looks awful at the plate, my assessment of his batting stance is correct, farg off if you disagree.

PhillyPhreak54

Once again the offense is nothing but HRs. If they don't go yard, they don't score. Same old shtein.

This team is squeezing the bats so tight they're turning to sawdust.

Rollins is tied for 3rd in the ML with 8 walks (Howard leads with 11 & Burrell has 8 too)

Stark on the Phils:

QuoteFloodgates opening with bullpen door

Philadelphia Phillies Problem No. 1: The bullpen
OPS against this crew before its two shutout innings Wednesday: .949, worst of any pen in the National League. And those three crushing blown saves last week might not be an aberration if you stack the stuff of this group up against the other bullpens in the league. "They've only got one power arm out there [Tom Gordon], and he's 39 years old," said one scout. "What happens if, or when, he goes down? I think they're in huge trouble."

Problem No. 2: Situational hitting
Offense is supposed to be this team's strength. But when you hit .179 with men in scoring position, you're just asking for the kind of disaster that has ensued. "We've had unacceptable offensive production," said assistant general manager Ruben Amaro Jr. "Unacceptable. We've had opportunities to break games open, and we haven't done it. And by not scoring more runs, we're putting more pressure on our relievers, because they've had no margin for error. Then we blow a couple of saves, and everything just snowballs."

Problem No. 3: Dumb baseball
They've run into big outs, rushed through at-bats with men on base and had all kinds of inexplicable defensive issues. Which was exactly what wasn't supposed to happen after they overhauled half the coaching staff. "A big part of this blame has to sit on the players' shoulders," Amaro said. "These are players who have played in the big leagues for a while now. They've got to know when to take the extra base and when not to. They've got to know when to swing at a 2-and-0 pitch and when not to."

If you've followed this team, you know the two things you can count on every April are Easter egg hunts and another April debacle by the Phillies. They've now started 2-6, or worse, in three of the last four years. But while they found ways to get back into contention the previous two times, that's a precarious tightrope to walk this year, when the Braves and Mets appear 100 percent for real.

"We'd better get it going," Amaro said. "Or we're going to find ourselves selling suntan lotion in September."