UFC / MMA

Started by MURP, February 04, 2007, 11:56:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phillymic2000

Silva wins, Coste goes down hurt after planting his back leg wrong.

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/ufc-90-silva-vs-cote-play-by-play-14903

QuoteAnderson Silva vs. Patrick Cote
Round 1
The bouncy Cote takes the center of the Octagon as Silva dances around the outside. Cote lands some early leg kicks. Without throwing a strike, a "Silva, Silva" chant is already building in the Allstate Arena. Through two minutes, the bout has been primarily leg kicks for either party. A short inside leg kick for Silva brings Cote forward, and almost allows him to tie him up in the Thai clinch. Silva, with his lead right hand low, stares down Cote from the pocket, while Cote bobs and weaves without throwing. A Cote kick to the body is blocked. Cote switches to southpaw momentarily, but switches back to Orthodox, lunging at Silva with punches which miss. Silva lands a big left head kick, and is able to land a lunging left knee on Cote inside which slashes his forehead open. A now-orthodox Silva sticks the jab in Cote's face before turning back to southpaw. Silva pacing on the outside, attempting to get Cote to come forward, while Cote switches his stance back and forth again. A hard leg kick from Silva turns Cote around momentarily. Cote continues stalking, and Silva throws a switch-step high kick which is blocked as the round ends. Both fighters bow to one another to end an opening round that was largely a feeling-out process.

Jordan Breen scores the round: 10-9 Silva
TJ DeSantis scores the round: 10-9 Silva
Lotfi Sariahmed scores the round: 10-9 Silva

Round 2
Cote opens with another inside leg kick. A nimble Silva bounces around the perimeter, but explodes forward with a two punch combination, and throws a jumping switch head kick which just misses. Cote responds with a spinning back fist which grazes Silva, and the champion presses "The Predator" into the fence. A big right hook by Cote is easily ducked by Silva, who lands a stiff left kick to the body. Cote takes a literal run at Silva, who changes levels and takes him down with a double leg takedown against the fence, settling into Cote's guard. Cote using wrist control to stop Silva from pounding on him, and lands a sharp elbow to the crown of Silva's head. Silva stands above Cote, and offers Cote his hand in the middle of the fight to help him up, before backing away and allowing him to regain his feet. Cote attempts to jab in, and Silva easily moves out of range. Silva throwing his hands around aimlessly, as Cote stands in front of him resolute. Silva lands a hard right leg kick, as Cote drops for a low single. Silva escapes, throws another, and Cote gets a deeper grab on the single leg, as he pushes Silva into the fence. Cote bails out on the takedown, and Silva lands a swinging back elbow, and a late salvo of knees to the torso from the body clinch.

Jordan Breen scores the round: 10-9 Silva
TJ DeSantis scores the round: 10-9 Silva
Lotfi Sariahmed scores the round: 10-9 Silva

Round 3
Cote is the first man to make it to the third heat with Silva in the Octagon, and he lands an overhand right and a leg kick to begin the round. As Cote crow hops toward Silva, he plants awkwardly on his back leg, and pops his right knee, and falls back to the mat. Cote grabs his knee, writhing on the mat, and awkwardly attempts to get to his feet. As he finally struggles to his feet, referee Herb Dean informs him that he's in no condition to continue. The injury brings an extremely anti-climactic end to the fight at just 0:39 of the third round.

mussa

Couture vs Lesner this Saturday. I expect a severe beat down by Couture. There is no way Lesner beats Couture unless he totally gets lucky and lands a killer strike that knocks Randy out. Too much experience on Couture's side, can't see him losing this.
Official Sponsor of The Fire Andy Reid Club
"We be plundering the High Sequence Seas For the hidden Treasures of Conservation"

Drunkmasterflex

Lesnar can definitely beat Couture, your crazy if you think he can't.  Randy clearly has a big experience advantage, but he won't be able to bully Lesnar on the ground the way he does most opponents.  I don't really care who wins this fight because I like both of them a lot, but I think it will be a lot closer than people think.  Lesnar is a world class wrestler that can't be understated.  The way Lesnar destroyed Herring was impressive, Herring is not a chump either.  Hell Lesnar was even impressive in his loss.  I hope I actually get to see this fight, right now it is not looking good for me though. 
Official Sponsor of #58 Trent Cole

The gods made Trent Cole-Sloganizer.net

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Feva

Lesnar is obviously much stronger than Randy, but MMA is about a whole lot more than brute strength though.  Brock has little to no technique at this point in the game, where Randy has worlds of it.  Also, don't forget that Randy is a world class wrestler, himself.  Even against Herring, Brock got on top of him and pretty much laid on him... he didn't know any way to end the fight other than trying to pound him out... and ended up winning in a decision.  Randy won't sit there and let Lesnar rain down on him for 5 rounds and not catch him making a mistake somewhere.

I agree, the only way that I can see Lesnar winning is by rocking Randy with a big shot and capitalizing off it.  The intriguing part is, there's a decent chance of it happening because he hits so damn hard.  I think Randy wants to get to the ground and work him from there.
"Now I'm completing up the other half of that triangle" - Emmitt Smith on joining Troy Aikman and Michael Irvin in the Hall of Fame

"If you have sex with a prostitute against her will, is that considered rape or shoplifting?" -- 2 Live Stews

Drunkmasterflex

I am aware that Couture is a world class wrestler,  but he is a lot smaller than Lesnar.  I think he is clearly the favorite to win, but there are a lot of people that think he is going to walk through Lesnar.  Couture has trouble with bigger guys and there has never been a guy in UFC with the shear power that Lesnar possesses.  I think the reason he just laid on Herring was he was a little apprehensive after getting tapped by Mir.   He is definitely raw, but he has some advantages.  This may be the most intriguing UFC fight ever, I hope I get to catch it live and not on tape. 

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Feva

QuoteCouture has trouble with bigger guys

Tim Sylvia said what up.

Other than that... I agree with you though.

I like Lesnar and I wouldn't be pissed (or all that surprised) if he wins, but at this point... I still like Couture to take it outside of a power punch that ends the fight. 

I think if Lesnar wins, it will make TONS of money for the UFC (which is why Dana put this together) and he would become the new face of MMA... but it'd be similar to Kimbo with Elite XC in the respect that he'd be the most popular guy, but not nearly the most talented.
"Now I'm completing up the other half of that triangle" - Emmitt Smith on joining Troy Aikman and Michael Irvin in the Hall of Fame

"If you have sex with a prostitute against her will, is that considered rape or shoplifting?" -- 2 Live Stews

Drunkmasterflex

Tim Sylvia is a joke.  Talent wise there aren't many more talented than Lesnar, skills are another story.  I just want a good fight, I don't care who wins either way it sets up some interesting possibilities for the future. 

Seabiscuit36

So long as Brock doesnt leave his legs open for takedowns, he should win.  Lesnar was much improved from his first bout with Mir to his Herring fight. 
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

phillymic2000

Did anyone see faber get ktfo last week on WEC, that should be a hell of a rematch.

mussa

No disrespect to Lesner, I love the guy and want him to succeed with his freakish brute strength, but I just see a well seasoned vet like Couture really making a fool out of the less experienced Lesner, regardless of size. I'll take skill/experience over strength any day. I think I might just be comparing Lesner to Kimbo as the UFC's punching bag, but I think Lesner def. has a shot no doubt
Official Sponsor of The Fire Andy Reid Club
"We be plundering the High Sequence Seas For the hidden Treasures of Conservation"

MURP

one thing is for sure, anyone can win any fight in MMA.   After Serra took out GSP i am not shocked at any outcome.    Its hard to get a feel for this one because there has never been anyone like Lesner in the sport.   Either way its good for the sport.  I really dont care who wins either, just want a good fight. 

my head says Coulture, my gut says Lesnar wins.

im gonna have to go with the guttttt.  Lesnar by TKO in round 2.

what is everyone elses prediction?

henchmanUK

Quote from: MURP on November 12, 2008, 09:24:42 PM
one thing is for sure, anyone can win any fight in MMA. 
Parity sucks.
"The drunkenness, the violence, the nihilism: the Eagles should really be an English football team, not an American one." - Financial Times, London

Seabiscuit36

Lesnar 1:30 into the fight, pummels Couture and knocks him out on the mat
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

Drunkmasterflex

I think Couture wins by decision, though this is a real tough fight to get a feel for. 

Feva

Either Lesnar by TKO < 2 mins

or

Couture taps Lesnar... round 2.

The longer this fight goes... the better for Randy.