The Booze Thread

Started by Sgt PSN, November 10, 2006, 01:59:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SD

http://www.philly.com/philly/restaurants/beer/20100820_Joe_Sixpack__Stein-lugging_and_other_beer_records.html

QuoteJoe Sixpack: Stein-lugging and other beer records
POSTED: August 20, 2010  By Joe Sixpack

Daily News Beer Reporter

emailprintreprintsizecomments0
options
POSTED: August 20, 2010 Joe Sixpack: Stein-lugging and other beer records
By Joe Sixpack
Philadelphia Daily News

Daily News Beer Reporter

1 of 2View images
RELATED STORIES
Philly Uncorked: Frozen Drinks
Franchitti set to defend title at Sonoma
Fund manager finds plenty of virtue in sin stocks
It's up to Pa. brewery to can a bottling tradition
Craft brewers up the alcohol in their beers
Sly Fox Royal Weisse, Bavarian-style wheat beer LAST WEEK'S COLUMN about the world's strongest beer had me thinking about some other classic beer records. The fastest chugger, the biggest can collection, the most pints balanced on a man's head - you know, the fun, occasionally idiotic achievements that could only be inspired by, well, beer.

Like, how many beer steins can a person carry while walking across a room?

For several years, the Guinness world record for beer-stein carrying was held by Anita Schwarz, a Bavarian waitress who managed to lug 16 full liters of lager while walking 40 meters (about 110 feet). In 2008, she pushed that record to an incredible 19 liters.

Think of it: Nineteen glass liters filled with beer weigh almost 100 pounds. Watching the online videos, I'd say Schwarz weighs 140, tops. She grips seven steins in each hand, with five more stacked on top of them, and sloshes her way across the floor. It's a heckuva feat.

Just weeks after she set the record, though, a beefy German expatriate named Reinhard Wurtz, of Sydney, Australia, topped her by hoisting 20 full liters across a room.

Not long ago, I asked Wurtz if he caught any grief for beating a girl, and he was unapologetic:

"Look, the girls have an advantage toward the boys. First, you need a slim hand [a big boy's big hands don't fit through the handles]. Secondly, the law of the lever helps the girls: They have shorter arms. And then, they are full-breasted, so they can even lean the steins against them. So you can see, it's not always muscles only."

That might be good news for a lady who'd like to win back this cherished world record. But, sadly, in today's world of uber-competitiveness, it's only a matter of time until the fine sport of beer-stein lifting is tarnished by scandal, probably involving male breast implants.

In the meantime, here are a few other beer records – idiotic and otherwise:

* Fastest beer coaster flipper: Dean Gould, United Kingdom, flipped 800 coasters in 41 seconds. During the same night, he caught 35 in a row while blindfolded. Gould owns a dozen other Guinness world records.

* Most beer pints balanced on one's head: 237, John Evans, United Kingdom. Evans, the world's pre-eminent head-balancer (see his Web site at www.headbalancer.com), has also balanced a Mini Cooper on his head.

* Fastest one-liter chug: 1.3 seconds, by Steven Petrosino, Carlisle, Pa., set in 1977. (Guinness no longer lists beer-consumption records.)

* Most beer consumed in 5 minutes: 7.75 imperial pints (about 13 12-ounce bottles), Eric Lean of the United Kingdom.

* Most beer consumed in one sitting: 119 bottles in 6 hours, Andre Rene Roussimoff, aka pro wrestler Andre the Giant, weight 565 pounds, now deceased. (Source: Modern Drunkard magazine.)

* Largest beer pyramid: 63,365 cases, built in the Netherlands.

* Largest collection of beer coasters: 152,860 varieties, owned by Leo Pisker, of Langenzersdorf, Austria.

* Largest beer festival: 6.5 million attendees, Oktoberfest, Munich, Germany.

* Bitterest beer: The Hop, by Pitstop Brewer, United Kingdom, measuring 323 international bittering units. ("Triple-hopped" Miller Lite measures about 10 IBUs.)

* Bitterest beer, American: Founders Devil Dancer, 200 IBUs.

* Biggest beer-can collection: 70,000-plus, by Jeff Lebo, Etters, Pa. He built an entire house to store the cans.

* Biggest beer bottle collection: 16,000, currently housed at Carlsberg Brewery, Denmark.

* Biggest beer selection, bar: 2,000-plus varieties, Delirium Café, Brussels.

* Biggest draft beer selection: 250 taps, Yard House, Long Beach, Calif.

* Biggest beer selection, festival: 2,238 varieties, Great American Beer Festival, Denver, (expected at 2010 festival).

* Most expensive bottle of beer: Lowenbrau, salvaged from the wreck of the Hindenburg, and sold in a 2009 auction for £11,021.50 (about $17,000).

"Joe Sixpack" by Don Russell appears weekly in Big Fat Friday. For more on the beer scene in Philly and beyond, visit www.joesixpack.net. Send e-mail to joesixpack@phillynews.com.

Read more: http://www.philly.com/philly/restaurants/beer/20100820_Joe_Sixpack__Stein-lugging_and_other_beer_records.html#ixzz0xCWZRMdu
Watch sports videos you won't find anywhere else

rjs246

So I was in DC last week for a client visit and stayed about 6 blocks from Matt which means that we went out and got shtein faced.  I drank nothing but Jack and Gingers all night and it was the first time I've gotten 100% liquor drunk in farging forever. As a result I might have to re-assess my own belief that I am a truly functional alcoholic.

I would now refer to myself as a functional beeraholic. I don't remember walking back to my hotel, I had to sprint to the can for an emergency poopspray in the middle of the night and spent the entire next day at the client sight tasting chicken wings in my mouth and trying not to gag.

Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

mussa

Official Sponsor of The Fire Andy Reid Club
"We be plundering the High Sequence Seas For the hidden Treasures of Conservation"

rjs246

I think 'woman' would have been more appropriate.

Let them eat bootstraps.

Tomahawk

You don't know how to think. Obviously

Sgt PSN

Quote from: rjs246 on August 30, 2010, 03:11:03 PM
So I was in DC last week for a client visit and stayed about 6 blocks from Matt which means that we went out and got shtein faced.  I drank nothing but Jack and Gingers all night and it was the first time I've gotten 100% liquor drunk in farging forever. As a result I might have to re-assess my own belief that I am a truly functional alcoholic.

I would now refer to myself as a functional beeraholic. I don't remember walking back to my hotel, I had to sprint to the can for an emergency poopspray in the middle of the night and spent the entire next day at the client sight tasting chicken wings in my mouth and trying not to gag.

You are a farging woman. 

rjs246

See? Now that's more like it.

Let them eat bootstraps.

smeags

Quote from: rjs246 on August 30, 2010, 03:11:03 PM

I don't remember walking back to my hotel, I spent the entire next day at the client sight tasting matt in my mouth and trying not to gag.

sounds like an epic night.
If guns kill people then spoons made Rosie O'Donnel a fatass.

Quote from: ice grillin you on March 16, 2008, 03:38:24 PM
phillies will be under 500 this year...book it

Sgt PSN

Quote from: rjs246 on August 30, 2010, 04:50:40 PM
I think 'woman' would have been more appropriate.

Hahahaha, I was busy reading your original post and never even saw this when I finally replied.

Woman. 

rjs246

Will you stop jerking off and post your goddamned keepers?

Let them eat bootstraps.

Diomedes

I gotta drink a lot of beers quick to do any damage.  Beer is for life, not for getting drunk. 
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Seabiscuit36

thats why the Bierstick is king
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

Seabiscuit36

The Russian finance minister has asked the Russian people to drink more and smoke more to help the country raise money. 
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

Sgt PSN

Has there ever been a more appropriate job title than "Finance Minister?"  Because when it comes down to it, Money is worshiped around the world a hell of a lot more than any Deity. 

Diomedes

Not only that, it's every bit the scam that religion is.  Nothing but a great big confidence game.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger