2006 Free Agent Tracker - Defense

Started by PhillyPhreak54, February 14, 2006, 10:24:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Feva

Quote from: SD_Eagle on March 02, 2006, 04:39:46 PM
Quote from: rjs246 on March 02, 2006, 02:20:06 PM
I'd take Glover. No doubt.

I'll pass, he's washed up.

No way he's washed up, man.  Yeah, he bombed in DAL in the 3-4 (what 290lb DT wouldn't?), but he can still be plenty effective in a 4-3 scheme.
"Now I'm completing up the other half of that triangle" - Emmitt Smith on joining Troy Aikman and Michael Irvin in the Hall of Fame

"If you have sex with a prostitute against her will, is that considered rape or shoplifting?" -- 2 Live Stews

SunMo

that may or may not be true, but how can you make that assessment?
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

The BIGSTUD

No to Glover, no to Barber.

Yes to Bernard, yes to Witherspoon.
Calling it right on the $ since day one.
Just pointing laughing, and living it up while watching the Miami Heat stink it up.

SD_Eagle5

Quote from: PhillyGirl on March 02, 2006, 04:42:43 PM
Didn't Barber miss ANOTHER full year with injury last year?

He's only played 11 games in the past two seasons so we could probably get him cheap like we did last time.  :P

EJ72

Quote from: EagleFeva on March 02, 2006, 04:43:44 PM
Quote from: SD_Eagle on March 02, 2006, 04:39:46 PM
Quote from: rjs246 on March 02, 2006, 02:20:06 PM
I'd take Glover. No doubt.

I'll pass, he's washed up.

No way he's washed up, man.  Yeah, he bombed in DAL in the 3-4 (what 290lb DT wouldn't?), but he can still be plenty effective in a 4-3 scheme.

He can still play in a 4-3. He was the main bright spot we had on defense his first 3 years in Dallas. He would have had better numbers if he wasn't playing in Zimmer's *%@#^ read-and-react-play-the-run-first-at-almost-all-costs defensive scheme. Hasn't missed a game in 8 or 9 years either. He's not like Sapp who deteriorated into in even bigger pile of Crisco than he already was as he got older, either.

DH

Eagles | Team might have interest in R. Bernard
Thu, 2 Mar 2006 17:58:08 -0800

The Associated Press reports the Philadelphia Eagles might have interest in Seattle Seahawks DL Rocky Bernard, who is expected to become a free agent.

General_Failure

Quote from: SD_Eagle on March 02, 2006, 04:48:26 PM
Quote from: PhillyGirl on March 02, 2006, 04:42:43 PM
Didn't Barber miss ANOTHER full year with injury last year?

He's only played 11 games in the past two seasons so we could probably get him cheap like we did last time.  :P

16 sack season!

The man. The myth. The legend.

T_Section224

Quote from: Die-Hard on March 02, 2006, 11:16:50 PM
Eagles | Team might have interest in R. Bernard
Thu, 2 Mar 2006 17:58:08 -0800

The Associated Press reports the Philadelphia Eagles might have interest in Seattle Seahawks DL Rocky Bernard, who is expected to become a free agent.

i would not be against this, a nice dt
Proud Sponsor of Mike Bartrum

PhillyPhreak54

FWIW...

The Colts are the only player to use the high tender so far.

They put it on DE Robert Mathis.

PhillyPhanInDC

Quote from: EagleFeva on March 02, 2006, 01:58:19 PM
Quote from: Beermonkey on March 02, 2006, 01:54:33 PM
Cowboys | Glover to be released
Thu, 2 Mar 2006 10:37:22 -0800

Jay Glazer, of FOXSports.com, reports Dallas Cowboys DL La'Roi Glover has been informed he will be released.

There's our DT boys...

Officially was just cut. I wouldn't mind Glover coming in only if they couldn't get Rocky. While he is up there in age, I think he would work well in a rotation.
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.""  R.I.P George.

PhillyPhreak54

Hunter Hillenmeyer got the low tender. That would be a 5th round comp.

Another guy who I wouldn't mind seeing them take a shot at.

PhillyPhanInDC

Just skip to the last paragraph....

Colts make offers to two defensive leaders
NFL.com wire reports 

INDIANAPOLIS (March 2, 2006) -- The Indianapolis Colts offered Pro Bowl linebacker Cato June and sack leader Robert Mathis one-year tenders in an effort to keep the core of their improved defense intact next season.

Both were set to become restricted free agents when the market opens March 6.

Colts spokesman Craig Kelley said he could not confirm the offers.

The Colts would like to bring back the hard-hitting Cato June.     
Mathis led the Colts with 11 1/2 sacks last season, his second straight season with a double-digit sack total.

June blossomed in his second season as a starter. The converted safety recorded 109 tackles, third most on the team, and intercepted a team-high five passes, which helped him earn his first Pro Bowl selection.

June and Mathis can still negotiate with other teams, but the Colts can match any deal they sign. If the Colts choose not to match the deal, they would receive a draft choice as compensation from the other team.

The two moves were the latest intended to shore up the Colts defense, which was faster and better last season.

On March 1, the Colts agreed to a multiyear deal with leading tackler Gary Brackett, leaving David Thornton as the only starting linebacker still set to become an unrestricted free agent March 6.

The Colts also signed defensive lineman Raheem Brock to a five-year deal Feb. 24.

The Colts, who are $6 million to $10 million over the NFL's salary cap of $94.5 million, also reportedly lost an arbitration ruling that would have helped them get underneath the cap.

The Indianapolis Star reported that the ruling prevents the Colts from converting roster bonuses totaling about $19 million into signing bonuses for Peyton Manning and Marvin Harrison.

Now team president Bill Polian faces some tough decisions. Agents for defensive tackles Corey Simon and Montae Reagor and receiver Brandon Stokley, who all have base salaries of at least $1.5 million next year, said the Colts had given them no indication whether their players might be cut.

:-D :-D :-D

Simon possibly on the chopping block = happiness.
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.""  R.I.P George.

PhillyPhreak54

QuoteVikings | Team already has an agreement with Leber in place?
Sun, 5 Mar 2006 08:16:01 -0800

Sean Jensen, of the Pioneer Press, reports the buzz around the NFL is that the Minnesota Vikings have already agreed in principle on a multiyear deal with free agent LB Ben Leber (Chargers). Leber could land a $7 million signing bonus and a contract that averages $4 million a year. Leber is big (6 feet 3, 244 pounds) and athletic, and Fran Foley, the Vikings' vice president of player personnel, knows him well from their days with the Chargers.

Ok a couple of things here...

a. Tampering anyone? I know it happend, I'm no dumbass. But to let it leak this much? At least the Bentley rumor didn't contain numbers or anything like that.

b. Ben Leber is going to get a $7M signing bonus?!?!?!?!?!?!?

PhillyPhanInDC

In a four year career the guy has 180 tackles and 12 sacks. He was also on IR for half this past season. I think that rumor is partially correct about the Vikings going after him, but the numbers sound like a bad joke.

PhillyPhreak54

Schefter reporting that the Giants will probably sign Sam Madison. he said it would surprise no one if he ends up there. He has been talking to the Giants and a deal has not yet been done but coudl be soon.