Another LJ joining the birds?

Started by mikey418, September 28, 2004, 08:35:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikey418

From the KC Star:
QuoteThe Chiefs don't appear to be aggressively seeking offers for discontented halfback Larry Johnson but would part with him if the right one came along before the NFL's Oct. 19 trading deadline.

The Chiefs have held recent substantive discussions with at least four teams regarding Johnson — Tampa Bay, Miami, Philadelphia and Dallas.

Each of the four teams has an issue at halfback and could use some depth at the least. However, The Dallas Morning News reported the Cowboys are not interested in Johnson.

The Dolphins are desperate for a runner after losing their starting halfback, Lamar Gordon, for at least Sunday's game and possibly much longer because of a shoulder injury.

Tampa Bay also lost Charlie Garner for the season Sunday because of knee damage.

But both teams are 0-3 and in danger of falling from the playoff race, leaving them with little reason to make a trade for Johnson, the Chiefs' third-stringer.

The Chiefs had no discussions with any team about Johnson on Monday and aren't optimistic a trade can be arranged by the deadline. That situation could change quickly if a team meets the Chiefs' demands.

Those could include a veteran player at linebacker, wide receiver or cornerback or a draft pick.

The efforts to trade Johnson appear to have more to do with the Chiefs' excess at halfback than Johnson's unhappiness or his recent public quarrel with coach Dick Vermeil.

Johnson is rooted on the bench behind Priest Holmes and Derrick Blaylock. He hasn't had a rushing attempt or caught a pass this year.

Johnson has made no attempt to hide his unhappiness with the Chiefs since being drafted by them in the first round last season. He played in only six games as a rookie.

Vermeil last week said it was time for Johnson "to take the diaper off and go play" when it appeared an ankle injury would keep Holmes from playing in Sunday's game against Houston.

Johnson responded by saying he didn't appreciate the sentiment.

"I don't need another grown man telling me I need to take the diapers off," he said last week.

The two later met to discuss the issue. Vermeil said Monday he didn't wish to part with Johnson.

"Personally, no," he said.

"Larry's got a long way to go. I'd just as soon see him do it here. He's got talent, and he can be a very fine player."
The wannabe sponsor of Stallworth and Baskett

Zanshin

He never did much for me.  I think he'd have much more value in Miami or Dallas, under those systems, than he would in Philly or TB.  He sort of strikes me as a lumbering lummox.

Seabiscuit36

Mikey im trying to find the article i saw last night but it was basically the same article except there was a line that said "The eagles have flatly declined any offers",  the article said the eagles werent interested and i dont think LJ's attitude would fit in...
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

MURP

PoopyfaceMcGee

Quote from: MURP on September 28, 2004, 09:01:46 AM
I cant see that happening. 

Me neither, especially with much more desperate teams out there.

eglzwin2k5

rather keep Mahe, Levens,  and Tapeh. Next year with a #1 and a high #2 plus our own #2 we can build more depth for the future, and most recoup likely the loss of Corey Simon.

Larry

We'd only take him as a developmental prospect -- it'll take him at least to the end of the year to learn this offense.

I think this report originated from Foxsports.  They stated it was KC trying to give the hard-sell on Johnson.
More Mahe please.

Susquehanna Birder

And here I thought this was another Lamont Jordan thread.   :paranoid

hunt

i know it won't happen but i'd take him at the right price. :paranoid

LJ hasn't had a chance to show anything in the nfl so i think it's way too early to write him off...bucky is gone at the end of the season...levens is 50 years old...mahe is mahe...and isn't westbrook a free agent too???
they'll need another RB for next season so why not LJ???...and they might be able to get some use out of him later this season after he learns the offense.

okay...you can make fun of me now. :sly
lemonade was a popular drink and it still is

TempleOwl

How come so many players come out of Joe Pa's system and end up being jerks in the NFL?  :paranoid
"If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck and swims like a duck...SHOOT IT!"

JTrotterFan

Dude...if Vermeil calls you out like that...you'd be pissed off too!!  He's got talent...he's just stuck behind the best back in league the past 5 years.
2004 NFC Champion Philadelphia Eagles!!

MURP

Funny thing is, Im not sure anybody knows how good or bad Larry Johnson is.  He had an awesome SR. year at PSU, but most of his yards came against poor defensive teams that season.  And im not saying that to knock PSU or Larry Johnson at all, but it is true.   He may be good in the NFL or he may be average at best.  No matter what team I was the GM of, I would be very skeptical of trading anything much for him.

hunt

Quote from: JTrotterFan on September 28, 2004, 11:15:29 AM
Dude...if Vermeil calls you out like that...you'd be pissed off too!!  He's got talent...he's just stuck behind the best back in league the past 5 years.

werd.
instead of drafting a RB who won't even play his rookie season because he doesn't know the offense (see tapeh).....trade a draft pick for LJ now & he'll be ready to contribute next season...maybe even later this season.

c'mon reid...take off the diaper and make a deal!  ;)  :-D

Larry

Don't PSU RBs have the same rep as Florida WRs?  :-D
More Mahe please.

hunt

Quote from: Larry on September 28, 2004, 11:26:41 AM
Don't PSU RBs have the same rep as Florida WRs?  :-D

curt warner had a few good seasons.  :paranoid