Main Menu

Its a mess

Started by Eagles 3x, November 08, 2006, 01:02:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PoopyfaceMcGee

Methinks shorebird is in denial.

Even if the division falters and the Eagles sneak in, they have nearly zero chance of winning the Super Bowl.  That's all that matters and why it's time to figure some things out.

Eaglez

The dink pass has its virtues.

The problem with Reid is that he is all about the big play without having defenses protect the underneath garbage. Is it really that hard to line up 3 WR's, have them do little 5 yard routes and sit in a zone? a few 5-7 yard completions will open up the big plays down field. It will force a safety to cheap up, and then they can take shots downfield.

The problem is Reid isn't setting anything up for his players to be successful.

It's almost like he thinks he's playing John Madden football. Drop back in a shotgun, pick the "All Streaks" route, and then just chuck it downfield and hope someone catches it without working underneath routes and making people at least respect the run. 3-4 yards a carry, and an occasional 5-8 yard run will be enough for people to respect the run if the team could do it consistently.

This week is a real test. Granted, it's the taterskins, but they are coming off of an emotional win and the Eagles had 2 weeks to prepare. If the Eagles come out with the same garbage as the previous 3 weeks it's going to be a long season.

ice grillin you

It's almost like he thinks he's playing John Madden football. Drop back in a shotgun, pick the "All Streaks" route, and then just chuck it downfield and hope someone catches it without working underneath routes and making people at least respect the run. 3-4 yards a carry, and an occasional 5-8 yard run will be enough for people to respect the run if the team could do it consistently.

this is why stallworth is so important....he is best at running those deep crossing routes and drawing both safties and linebackers to him...hes the only wr on the team with the speed and talent to run this kind of route and make a defense account for him thus opening it up for others whether it be under the linebackers or past the safeties
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

PoopyfaceMcGee

Don't hate on Hank Baskett.  He runs a solid 4.7.

Susquehanna Birder

Quote from: SD_Eagle on November 09, 2006, 12:09:50 PM
Quote from: Susquehanna Birder on November 09, 2006, 07:15:48 AM
Quote from: SD_Eagle on November 08, 2006, 06:40:48 PM
I long for the days of the dink pass, those short but cheap 5 yard dinks over the middle that other teams use to exploit us would do wonders for this offense. That's not to say they should live and die by it but its a better option at 2nd and 8 than a 30 yard pass to Baskett is.

That stuff left with Brad Childress. The Morningwood era is big-play time.

Andy's still calling the plays though, right?

Yeah, but what I'm saying is that the playchart that Andy relies on looks different now...because it doesn't have Childress' input.

Feva

Quote from: FFatPatt on November 09, 2006, 12:24:24 PM
Don't hate on Hank Baskett. He runs a solid 4.7.

On one foot.
"Now I'm completing up the other half of that triangle" - Emmitt Smith on joining Troy Aikman and Michael Irvin in the Hall of Fame

"If you have sex with a prostitute against her will, is that considered rape or shoplifting?" -- 2 Live Stews

PoopyfaceMcGee

He doesn't need feet.  He can run that using only his penis.

ice grillin you

so

three legs>two feet?
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

mussa

wrong. greg lewis will burn anyone. and he runs like a duck.
Official Sponsor of The Fire Andy Reid Club
"We be plundering the High Sequence Seas For the hidden Treasures of Conservation"

PhillyPhreak54

Quote from: Susquehanna Birder on November 09, 2006, 01:02:18 PM
Quote from: SD_Eagle on November 09, 2006, 12:09:50 PM
Quote from: Susquehanna Birder on November 09, 2006, 07:15:48 AM
Quote from: SD_Eagle on November 08, 2006, 06:40:48 PM
I long for the days of the dink pass, those short but cheap 5 yard dinks over the middle that other teams use to exploit us would do wonders for this offense. That's not to say they should live and die by it but its a better option at 2nd and 8 than a 30 yard pass to Baskett is.

That stuff left with Brad Childress. The Morningwood era is big-play time.

Andy's still calling the plays though, right?

Yeah, but what I'm saying is that the playchart that Andy relies on looks different now...because it doesn't have Childress' input.

Pretty much. Minnesota has only scored 7 offensive TDs this year, I believe. I've watched a few of their games and read some of their boards and the fans are hating Childress' style of offense.

We all know the Eagles (actually a lot of teams) have a problem with running plays short of the sticks when needing a 1st down. But the Vikings have a chronic problem with it and Brad is getting heat.

I was listening to the radio the other day, and you see a few people talking about it on the Eagles sites, about how the offense is too big play oriented. But I remember a few years ago when people were screaming for them to go down field and it never happened unless it was a bomb to Pinky.

Sgt PSN

The problem with this team is, and has been a lack of diversity in the offense.  When it was Pederson/young McNabb under center, this was a dink and dunk offense with recievers who couldn't go deep if you cemented their feet and dropped them in the ocean.  2003 was probably Reid's most consistant year of playcalling.  We had the '3 headed monster' in the backfield with Duce, Westy and Buck and they were all getting carries and being effective.  Reid was stretching the field with Pinkston and Thrash, Lewis and that 1st round reciever were doing a decent job catching the underneath stuff. 

Other than that, it's been one extreme or the other with Reid.  Dink and dunk or bomb's away.  Even during TO's first year, the offense was having consistency problems and had a hard time moving the ball without a big play. 

There's a happy medium in there somewhere and Reid isn't finding it.  Actually, I don't even think he's looking for it.