Re: Attention TO Hating hungry hungry hippos

Started by Schroedinger, December 21, 2004, 04:00:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Schroedinger

Okay, I have a serious question.  Of all the boards I go to, this one seems to have the least tolerance for anyone doing anything that might hurt feelings.  For all the law nerds out there, this board seems to use a Strict Scrutiny standard when simple Rational Basis Review would do.

Is this forum one that doesn't tolerate outside points of view, especially vindictive, mean ones?  You allow your fans to say whatever they please, but don't allow others to say much of anything.  What's the deal?

Hopefully this was neutral enough to escape the wrath of the thought police.
I'm sometimes known as Arizona.

Don Ho

I never made it to law school.  Whadya say?
"Well where does Jack Lord live, or Don Ho?  That's got to be a nice neighborhood"  Jack Singer(Nicholas Cage) in Honeymoon in Vegas.

Don Ho

Seriously, we don't mind visitors opinions.  Yes, some of us are more sensitive than others but most of us understand and appreciate a true, loyal fans feelings - any fan.  I certainly do.  I have dear friends that are die hard Rams, Raiders, Steelers, 49ers, Dolphins, Bears, Seahawks, Broncos and yes even the Cowboys - that one kills me.  What really gets under our craw are the knuckle heads that come in just looking for trouble or have the real clever comments like "Eagles suck" "McNabbs a loser" "TO's a baby" "_______ gonna kick the Eagles ass" all so original, so well thought out. 

As all diehard fans do we try and reason rationally but considering what this team has gone through the last three years and than throw what happened in Sunday with T.O., we tend to scrutinize.  My god have you seen the national press?  You'd have thought the world came to an end.  The Eagles might as well pack it in now.  Don't even show up to the playoffs.  Line up in the wishbone and don't even use WR's.  Even our own (see Stephan A. Smith under dickhead) have turned on us.

Best of luck to Baltimore in the playoffs and here's hoping you guys bring it to the Steelers on Sunday!  I'd love to see them have to sweat it out against the Bills the last weekend.
"Well where does Jack Lord live, or Don Ho?  That's got to be a nice neighborhood"  Jack Singer(Nicholas Cage) in Honeymoon in Vegas.

PhillyGirl

This thread was started after a certain Dallas fan had been warned, banned and using the "hundreds of IPs" he bragged about creating, he came back 6 times and posting things like, "HAHAHA...Owens deserved to get hurt"..."I OWN THIS BOARD".."YOU CAN'T STOP ME" and such.

This forum is here for football talk, and some trash talk....its tolerable, to a point. Yesterday, before you even read what was going on, the above had happened, prompting Susquehanna Birder to post the topic about TO hating hungry hungry hippos and that being THE only warning. The mods on here spent 1/2 the day deleting threads, posts and users. Not exactly fair or necessary.
"Oh, yeah. They'll still boo. They have to. They're born to boo. Just now, they'll only boo with two Os instead of like four." - Larry Andersen

Susquehanna Birder

Quote from: Schroedinger on December 21, 2004, 04:00:15 AM
Okay, I have a serious question.  Of all the boards I go to, this one seems to have the least tolerance for anyone doing anything that might hurt feelings.  For all the law nerds out there, this board seems to use a Strict Scrutiny standard when simple Rational Basis Review would do.

I'm not sure what a "Rational Basis Review" is...but I can tell you that it's not a case of hurt feelings. It's a case of trying to control flamewars and such. And I can also tell you that we're really not as severe as you think.

QuoteIs this forum one that doesn't tolerate outside points of view, especially vindictive, mean ones?

That's really not a fair question, as there is no way to directly answer it (Kind of like, "Have you stopped beating your wife?").  I have no problem with opposing fan views, or even good smack talk. But when it gets to be vindictive and only done in the interest of stirring things up, I have no choice but to try and put a lid on it. In light of current happenings, we've felt a need to tighten things up a little. Once the furor calms down, we'll probably lower the threat level and continue on.

And I'm not sure what sites you visit, but I can give you a handful of boards that moderate at least as closely, if not more so, than we do.

QuoteYou allow your fans to say whatever they please, but don't allow others to say much of anything.  What's the deal?

Sure, we give a little more latitude to our home-fan regulars. This is an Eagles fan site, after all, and it's paid for with private money, and supported by the efforts of quite a few people who give their time to make it a nice place. But we've also clamped down on the occasional idiot posts from (apparent) Eagles fans. Perhaos you just haven't noticed that, since you're not a regular here.

QuoteHopefully this was neutral enough to escape the wrath of the thought police.

Sure, it's fine. But I did find it necessary to move it to the feedback section.   ;D   If you don't agree how the place is run, there are plenty of other sites to go...

Sgt PSN

Schroedinger, I think what it all comes down to is whether or not someone "establishes" themselves as a credible poster on this board.  People who show up and are flamming within their first few posts will be ridiculed and ultimately banned if they persist.  People who log on here and bring some intelligent discussion, regardless of difference of opinion, will be welcomed and left alone for the most part. 

Also, like Sus mentioned, there have been several Eagles fans posting here who have been banned because they were just as annoying, if not more, than hungry hungry hippos from other teams.                                       

I've visited fan sites for just about every team in the league and I swear some boards are being monitored by Hitler's ghost.  In my opinion I'd say the mods on this site fall somewhere in the middle in regards to what's tolerated and what's not. 

Yeti

Quote from: Sgt PSN on December 21, 2004, 11:06:53 AM
Also, like Sus mentioned, there have been several Eagles fans posting here who have been banned because they were just as annoying, if not more, than hungry hungry hippos from other teams.                                       

My number is up soon, isn't it?
"It's only a matter of time before we get to the future."

Hbionic

MDS

Quote from: Yeti on December 21, 2004, 11:37:56 AM

My number is up soon, isn't it?

I'm next in line  :paranoid
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

General_Failure

Schroedinger, I think what it all comes down to is whether or not someone "establishes" themselves as a credible poster on this board. People who show up and are flamming within their first few posts will be ridiculed and ultimately banned if they persist. People who log on here and bring some intelligent discussion, regardless of difference of opinion, will be welcomed and left alone for the most part.

The jarhead figured it out! Yay Marine! :D

That and what Sus said pretty much sum up how we try to run things here. I make no claims to fairness, and I'll never say this place is for everyone.

The man. The myth. The legend.

hbionic

Quote from: General_Failure on December 21, 2004, 06:36:34 PMThat and what Sus said pretty much sum up how we try to run things here. I make no claims to fairness, and I'll never say this place is for everyone.

You still haven't fully explained why NB is still here? ;)
I said watch the game and you will see my spirit manifest.-ILLEAGLE 02/04/05

General_Failure

Gene

WTF.....I just figured  this board had no standards......I mean if they let me in they'ed let anybody post here......... :nyuk :flipoff

Susquehanna Birder

Well, we have to do something to make the rest of us look good.  :=)

General_Failure

Quote from: Gene on December 21, 2004, 10:22:09 PM
WTF.....I just figured this board had no standards......I mean if they let me in they'ed let anybody post here......... :nyuk :flipoff

We love having your around, but we're worried you might not be an Eagles fan. :=)