2015 Phillies Offseason Thread

Started by Rome, October 05, 2015, 11:41:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

QB Eagles

I like him as an inning eater. He has an impressive sinker that translates into a lot of ground balls. He has some upside in that he sometimes has sustained periods of looking damn good. Post AS break last year, he looked like garbage though. His career stats can somewhat mask what he is capable of, because his first few years were brutal before he made huge changes to his approach. Injuries have been a problem, but whatever -- he's a fill-in until the young guys are ready to take those innings. Best case scenario is his first half is like his early starts last season and the Phillies can derive actual trade value from him.

PhillyPhreak54

Seriously Appel is in the deal? Huh...interesting. The bloom is off that rose so hopefully he can recover.

And I like the Morton deal too

PhillyPhreak54

Ken Giles and shortstop Jonathan Arauz from Phils for Mark Appel, Harold Arauz, Thomas Eshelman, Brett Oberholtzer and Velasquez.

Dillen - what's the word on the Astros Arauz?

MDS

2 seconds ago appel was the #1 pick and people were saying hes the next clemens. now he sucks?

i love getting him over fisher....upside is super high. could very well end up sucking, but then again, thats likely what fisher was going to do.

matt klentak doing work. phils may not have a STUD arm but they are really deep with young guns
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

Dillen

Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on December 12, 2015, 01:54:08 PM
Dillen - what's the word on the Astros Arauz?
He's 20 and that's all I know. He doesn't matter, the Phils got Velasquez and Appel for a reliever

Quote from: MDS on December 12, 2015, 03:22:30 PM
2 seconds ago appel was the #1 pick and people were saying hes the next clemens. now he sucks?

i love getting him over fisher....upside is super high. could very well end up sucking, but then again, thats likely what fisher was going to do.

matt klentak doing work. phils may not have a STUD arm but they are really deep with young guns
Yeah. I like this trade a lot less for the Astros now. Good riddance because Appel was a really unlikeable player to me and has been as inconsistent as can be, but he's still a really good prospect and turned this into one hell of a deal for the Fils.

MDS

how was he unlikable? the jesus shtein?

at lehigh
sp: appel, thompson, efflin
rp: cordero
ss: jp
of: williams
c: knapp

yo
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

Dillen

Nah, he can believe whatever he wants. Just maddeningly inconsistent. In the lower minors the stros did the tandem with 5 innings/4 innings per pitcher and he got special treatment cuz he sucked coming out of the pen. They would let him always start, but he still struggled to get through those 5. I don't think I've ever seen as many 4 inning, 4 ER starts. His 2014 was one of the worst seasons I have ever seen. Doesn't seem resilient at all. Despite all this, he still has plus fastball and slider and has been dominant at times.

PhillyPhreak54

I like getting Appel for the upside alone. He was inconsistent but it's worth a shot as one of five pieces in a deal for a closer who was a closer for half a season.

PhillyPhreak54

Re: PED scandal mentioned int the NFL thread

Choke's name is in it too

Geowhizzer

Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on December 26, 2015, 10:14:12 PM
Re: PED scandal mentioned int the NFL thread

Choke's name is in it too

He didn't take enough.

MDS

best case scenario they save 8-10 mil this year

this wouldve been a better thing to come to light 3-4 years ago....but now that his contract is ending, its kind of whatever

ice grillin you

i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Geowhizzer

I'm looking forward to seeing what J.P. Crawford can do for the Phils.  He's the one prospect that truly excites me.

smeags

Reading visits Trenton in mid May. Def in for a game in that series.
If guns kill people then spoons made Rosie O'Donnel a fatass.

Quote from: ice grillin you on March 16, 2008, 03:38:24 PM
phillies will be under 500 this year...book it

MDS

Quote from: ice grillin you on January 05, 2016, 08:48:12 AM
bp's phillies top ten is out....

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=28147

not that i dont like lists or disagree with their analysis, its just this stuff is so dumb.

kc made 2 world series and won 1 without help from most of these guys. who knows. http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=22285