2015 Phillies Offseason Thread

Started by Rome, October 05, 2015, 11:41:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

smeags

Quote from: SD on February 18, 2016, 12:55:38 PM
I'm so much more interested in the Phillies right now than I have been the last few years. This is what happens when you have actual prospects to watch and not a bunch of aging Veterans hanging on for dear life.

may 12-15 reading at trenton ... ill be there checking the prospects on reading. usually get seats right next to the visitors dugout.
If guns kill people then spoons made Rosie O'Donnel a fatass.

Quote from: ice grillin you on March 16, 2008, 03:38:24 PM
phillies will be under 500 this year...book it

MDS

Quote from: smeags on February 18, 2016, 01:00:11 PM
Quote from: SD on February 18, 2016, 12:55:38 PM
I'm so much more interested in the Phillies right now than I have been the last few years. This is what happens when you have actual prospects to watch and not a bunch of aging Veterans hanging on for dear life.

may 12-15 reading at trenton ... ill be there checking the prospects on reading. usually get seats right next to the visitors dugout.

theres a lull between the A/rookie ball guys like kilome and randloph and what theyll have at AAA . a bulk of the talent youre hearing about is going to be at lehigh, if not all of it. theres some talk that they start JP and roman at reading, but as long as his ST isnt horrible i cant see them doing that to jp. roman quite possibly. you will see alfaro though.   
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

ice grillin you

every number below 85 is represented at spring training except obviously the retireds

except: jimmy....GRIT and heidi
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

MDS

im not sure if hamels deserves it, but jimmy and chase should be absolute locks for number retirement even if they dont make the HOF
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

Don Ho

Interesting:

QuoteThe international market is one place where the Phillies could seek a competitive advantage with their money. In recent years, teams have thrown millions at Latin American teenagers while Major League Baseball penalizes the high-spending clubs with taxes and future bonus limitations.

The Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers, Angels, Diamondbacks, Cubs, Giants and Royals cannot sign an international player for more than $300,000 when the market opens July 2. That is the penalty for exceeding their bonus pools in previous years.

The Phillies are allotted $5.6 million this summer, according to figures obtained last week by Baseball America.

"Well where does Jack Lord live, or Don Ho?  That's got to be a nice neighborhood"  Jack Singer(Nicholas Cage) in Honeymoon in Vegas.

QB Eagles

I don't see why he necessarily has to hang 'em up if he still wants to play. In my opinion he's good enough to play in the majors as a bottom of the barrel shortstop, a fine bench utility infielder, or a low-tier everyday second baseman. He probably should transition to second for the best chances to start but I guess he has resisted that and sees the Sox as the most likely place for him to end up with a starting SS job.

This should probably be the last go-round for him and Utley though.

SD

Bouncing around from team to team at the end of your career isn't how a legend should go out. He should come home, become a coach, do commentary etc.

Rome

99% of players go out like this.  They're narcissists who've been told since they were old enough to drive that they are the greatest of the great.   Rollins was a very good player whose expiration date passed about 3 yrs ago.   I don't blame him one bit for trying to squeeze money out of some suckers, though.  Go Jimmy. 

QB Eagles

Every little bit helps to pad those HOF numbers. It's not like he's going to tarnish his legacy no matter how pathetic he is. No one cares about Babe on the Braves or Willie Mays on the Mets. He's got the next 40+ years to be a professional Philly legend.

PhillyPhreak54

I like watching the White Sox games so I hope he makes the team.

ice grillin you

Quote from: SD on February 22, 2016, 01:19:58 PM
Bouncing around from team to team at the end of your career isn't how a legend should go out. He should come home, become a coach, do commentary etc.

I agree in a perfect world this is how it ends but that notion ended when willie mays the greatest baseball player of all time was stumbling around in center field for the godforsaken mets

also I think its 50/50 whether he stays out west or comes back to philly post career so theres no guarantee even if he retired today he would be back...the only reason would be because of johari...so might as well play out the string...no one is going to even remember he tried out for the white sox
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Sgt PSN

Quote from: SD on February 22, 2016, 01:19:58 PM

It's how nearly all of them go out. You should be used to it by now.

SD

Sorry fellas, I obviously hold Jimmy in a higher regard than to watch him bounce around from team to team.

Sgt PSN

I don't think it's about holding him in high regard as much as I just expect athletes to do this at the end of their careers, especially elite guys. It sucks watching them flounder around for a year or 2, looking all human and shtein, but it's his career. If he wants to keep signing minor league deals until he's 60, good on him.