Sixers-Pelicans Lottery Thread

Started by phattymatty, October 30, 2013, 11:58:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigEd76

-- Dei says the Sixers are one of the teams that got Embiid's medicals
-- Andy Katz says the Sixers, Celtics or Suns will likely end up with Sacramento's #8 pick

ice grillin you

its been common knowledge for a few weeks that its very possible that the sixers could get the lakers or kings pick....lol at andy katz...stick to college son
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

ice grillin you

QuoteExum's Australian Institute of Sport coach, Paul Goriss, believes the Philadelphia 76ers will use the third overall pick on the point guard.

ice grillin you

QuoteDante Exum

Scout 1: I'm not putting my nuts on the line for this guy. I'm not drafting the next Tskitishvili. Now, the guys that saw him in Prague, if they've seen enough, then fine, but I can't do it. There is no frame of reference. He's going top five or six. But if you think it's a lock to Orlando, they like [Marcus] Smart too.

You can look like a hero or get fired taking this kid, that's who he is. There are a lot of sexy things there. I've seen him practice, mostly against other Euros. I've seen Wiggins 15 times.

It's very hard for me. I didn't go to Prague. I'm a Hoop Summit guy. It's basically drafting a high school kid out of Australia. Not debating his athleticism. He's a hard worker, smart. His dad played, so that helps with the transition if you are worried about that. It reminds me of Nikoloz Tskitishvili [drafted no. 5 in 2002] a little, but obviously not the same player.

Here's how that went down:

We had a good relationship with [Mike] D'Antoni, Tskitishvili's coach at Benetton. At the time, we weren't in on him. Teams were coming in to watch him practice, and I mean just limited practices. The vets on the team didn't even take the court. So scouts would watch him go one-on-zero, and D'Antoni couldn't believe how excited teams were. Mike was like, I'm not even playing the guy and teams are talking lottery. Now, Mike talked him up and helped the kid out, but this is what scares me about Exum.

Scout 2: He's riding the wave, like Dion Waiters. Same agent. It's all mystery and intrigue. He did enough at the Hoop Summit to be in the conversation. Everyone else, we have seen the film, we know the positives and the negatives. Embiid, injuries; Parker, body; Wiggins, shot. [The process] exposes the flaws. It's all positives for Exum. We haven't seen much, so we all think he's great. With the other guys, we built them up pre-draft, then spent months picking them apart. Exum avoided all of this.

I think he's a high-turnover guy, and he can't shoot. We talk about Wiggins's shot ... well, it's better than Exum's.

Here's the deal: At the time, when Russell Westbrook wasn't thought to be a PG, Oklahoma City was ahead of the curve. That's what Orlando was thinking with [Victor] Oladipo. Same thing. Re-create that model. Exum is the closest thing to this.

Where our league is going now, no one is a true PG anymore. You are either really good with the ball, as a shooter — Curry, Lillard, or Kyrie — or no one can stay in front of you — Westbrook, Wall, and Rose. There aren't any Chris Pauls anymore.

He's not a top-three pick, but talentwise, he's ahead of Parker. Watching him five minutes, it doesn't take long for him to stand out in the group. I saw him at the Adidas camp, versus the Harrison twins; he was better than them.

Smart is a better shooter than Exum. They hid Exum in workouts, and part of it is to keep the mystery. The other part is, I think they want him to fall to the Lakers. Not going to happen.

Scout 3: I have no comparisons for him. None.

Unless you are some super-scout that saw him on some JV vocational team in Australia, you have only seen him live twice in like 14 months. The workouts give you nothing; we already know he's big and an athlete. It's a risk, but last time we saw him at the under-19 he dominated.

It's all upside, but he's never played against men. He has all the physical skills, great feel for the game, so that is where you start when you think about position in the NBA. We project PG will be his primary position.

To think he's the third pick in the draft, and hasn't played in 12 months ... man, that is impressive.

BigEd76

Supposedly the Cavs front office wants Parker but Gilbert wants Wiggins because he doesn't trust his guys after the Bennett disaster.  Goddamn, stop giving this shtein franchise #1 picks

SunMo

lol he doesn't trust his guys but they still collect paychecks from him.  get new guys dude.
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

ice grillin you

Quote1. Who should the Cleveland Cavaliers select with the No. 1 pick?

Jay Bilas: Joel Embiid is still the best overall prospect. Unless the Cavs medical team red flags him, I still believe you draft the best prospect here. Embiid is special, and every time you see him, he has added something new. He just oozes potential, and images of a young Olajuwon (emphasis on young, as in freshman Olajuwon... back when he was Hakeem) are not unfair. The foot injury is the same thing that cost Michael Jordan his second season in Chicago. From the doctors I have spoken to, it should not be a career threatening thing.

To me, if you draft Embiid at 3 or 4, why pass on him at No. 1, unless you believe that Jabari Parker or Andrew Wiggins is a sure thing? If Embiid is out -- whether out of caution, fear or a medical team red flag -- I go with Andrew Wiggins here. He fits the suit. Wiggins is a superior athlete, defender and transition player. I think he will be very good, but I do have slight concerns over whether he has the attitude to be dominant in the NBA. He has the tools to be great if his mental makeup will allow it.

Chad Ford: I think they should select Andrew Wiggins. If Joel Embiid was healthy, I think he's the pick. But a stress fracture in the back and foot in the last six months along with other ailments give me major pause. Yes, he might recover from all of this. But it's going to be a long process. He may miss his entire first year. While his doctors say 4 to 6 months, most NBA doctors that I spoke with said 9 to 12 is more likely before he's back playing 5-on-5. Then he has to shake off the rust. Then he has to fight his way into a rotation filled with players trying to make the playoffs. It's not the right environment for him or the Cavs.

So I'll take Wiggins. He has similar upside to Embiid, is healthy, is a freak athlete and has great size for his position. His flaws are fixable. His shot could use some touching up. He needs to play lower and improve his handle. But I think we've overhyped Wiggins and then unfairly picked him apart. He can be special and I think he will be. And as far as fits go, the Cavs need a defensive presence at the wing. Not another scorer. To me Wiggins is the clear choice.

2. Who should the Milwaukee Bucks select with the No. 2 pick?

Chad Ford: I know the Bucks like Jabari Parker a lot, and I get it. It will be a good pick for them. He would give them scoring and an alpha dog on a team that lacks direction. But personally? I think they should roll the dice on Dante Exum. I think next to Wiggins and Embiid, he's the guy who has the chance to truly be special. What Giannis Antetokounmpo needs next to him is a dynamic point guard. Brandon Knight isn't that guy. Parker's ability to get to the basket is special. He has elite size for his position and I love his personality and character. He appears to have the leadership qualities you look for in a point guard. His shot will get better and his game will mature, and in three to four years Exum and Antetokounmpo could be the East's version of Westbrook and Durant.

Jay Bilas: If Embiid is still on the board, you take Embiid for the reasons I've stated. If you don't have or go with Embiid, Parker is the obvious choice here. He is the most NBA ready as an offensive player, and has an NBA build. He is not yet in great condition, nor is he a good defender, but he can improve in both of those areas. Parker is the best available player here.

3. Who should the Philadelphia 76ers select with the No. 3 pick?

Jay Bilas: Embiid or Noah Vonleh. He has size, crazy length, huge hands, he can shoot the ball facing up, and he has good footwork in the post. He is continuing to get better, and he is one of the top three rebounders in this Draft. I rate Vonleh as the second best big man prospect in the Draft, behind Embiid.

Chad Ford: Parker. It may sound like I'm down on Jabari. I'm not. I think he's going to be an All-Star in the NBA and I think his perfect fit is Philly. The Sixers are loaded with athletes who can run the floor and defend. Nerlens Noel, Michael Carter-Williams and Thaddeus Young are all cut out of that cloth. Why not put an alpha dog scorer next to them who can save them when they bog down in the half-court offense. Pair those four with a shooter like Nik Stauskas at pick 10 and I think the Sixers have a very exciting team next year.

ice grillin you

Quote from: SunMo on June 25, 2014, 11:37:18 AM
lol he doesn't trust his guys but they still collect paychecks from him.  get new guys dude.

funny thing is these are his new guys...he fired his gm mid season

SunMo

oh right, i forgot about that.  what a disaster that franchise is.
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

phattymatty

yes and also "i don't trust my guys" is definitely not something he ever said to anyone.

ice grillin you

MDS

if i have to read another non-take take on dante exum i am going to murder someone

none of these guys have any idea if hes going to be good. its all bs. just stop it.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

ice grillin you

well you didnt read that one because the article was about how theres nothing to go on with him and filled with guessing it would be to take him

you also didnt read the scouts takes on him because all of said they wouldnt touch him due to not knowing enough about him

the good thing is the sixers know more about him than the rest of the league combined

ice grillin you

Rome

Scouts don't know anything about a top 5 pick.

Get new scouts.