Sixers-Pelicans Lottery Thread

Started by phattymatty, October 30, 2013, 11:58:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geowhizzer

So, when is the :CF field trip to try out for the 2014-2015 76ers?

QB Eagles

farg the haters. The Sixers are doing exactly what they have to be doing if they want to be a powerhouse team down the road. It's not like they were a couple of mid-round draft picks away from being where they needed to be when Hinkie took over. They've practically got their own little farm system now, they stockpile picks, and they have a shteinload of cash to throw around at free agents whenever the time for competing arrives. Sometimes I feel these analysts are so used to talking about the Heat and Bulls all day that they don't understand the needs of a team like the Sixers.

At least the Sixers are in a league with a draft system ripe for getting abused like Hinkie is abusing it. The Phillies presently suck, are stuck with massive terrible contracts, untradable old players, and a dead farm in a league where drafts *might* pay off five years down the road. There's no path back because Amaro has thoroughly destroyed the value of the team's roster and they have no money to add real talent to it. You could be a baseball genius and still have no strategy for that team other than to fire the GM and all the scouts, and start working on defibrillating the farm with an eye toward fielding a decent team in the 2020s.

MDS

Quote from: QB Eagles on June 27, 2014, 09:28:22 PM
farg the haters. The Sixers are doing exactly what they have to be doing if they want to be a powerhouse team down the road.

lets remember this comment and revisit in 2019 when embiid still hasnt played a game, saric never leaves eurotrash and mcw is swapped for an expiring contract because he doesnt want to play on a nbadl team anymore

#believeinhinkie
#believeinamaro
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

QB Eagles

I'm cool with it. I'd rather they shoot for the moon and miss than be the Atlanta Hawks every year. And I also like that the Sixers strategy would be completely irrational if the league had a sensible draft process. Hinkie's method simultaneously hoards future assets and points out the silliness of the system.

As for Amaro, I don't see.... any method... at all.

MDS

as if they are only 2 options...the hawks and the hinkies

everyone seems cool with them pressing the pause button on the whole "being good" thing for 2-3 years. everyone seems cool with them having the 3rd and 10th picks of the draft and not coming away with 1 player to be excited about/that can play this season. everyone's cool with trusting a weird nerd smug guy who has never had any success ever.

the sixers might be good in 3 years. cant wait.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

phattymatty

I'm in the middle on this one...I like his strategy assuming be stays for the long run.

Knew next year would be a wash too but figured the new kids would at least get some run and experience.

Now we're talking basically two full years before these guys get a chance to gel, than realistically another year before it's time to fulfill expectations. That's a lot to ask of fans.

And if Hinkie leaves before then I will murder him.

Dillen

I don't think it's like he had really planned to be one of the worst teams for years and years. He got the top talent in last years draft at a severely discounted rate, and just about the same scenario this year. The team had no business getting the top player at 7 (or whatever) last year and then 3 at this year, but due to injuries they fell.

I'm sure the team would have liked to show some steady improvement each year, but if a title is the goal then you go for the potential superstars. Sucking really badly for last year + next few is just a product of how the drafts fell. Could have drafted safer players like Randle and had an immediate payoff in moderate improvement, but that's pointless. I'm not strongly for or against the strategy either way... but it's an interesting one to take and at this point I can't argue it.

MDS

you cant argue because its 2 years away from MAYBE working

the embiid thing is disgusting. hes played competitive basketball for 3 years and been hurt each year. back and foot problems. hes 7 feet tall. he was going to be redshirted last year. he didnt even play in march. now hes hakeem the dream part II?

yea k. sheep can buy in and worship hinkie's smug shrine. ill believe it when i see it.

phattymatty

it's pretty obvious embiid wasn't the initial plan but with the 3rd pick and the other two gone, what would you have preferred? i think he made the best of the situation.

MDS

anyone else

embiid is never having any kind of nba career....id take him with the 10 if he was there. its worth the risk then. the sixers tanked, had 2 top 10 picks, and nothing to show for it this year. that stinks.

phattymatty

you're right and every professional scout is wrong. my bad.

you have never even seen him play have you.

MDS

he has plenty of ability..the hakeem stuff is typical draft nonsense...but again hes a 7 foot big man who is 19 years old, has been playing competitive hoops for 3 years and hasnt been able to stay on the floor.

how are his feet and back going to hold up when hes 28. or 32. or 21? i just dont see how you justify taking a player like that at 3. i just dont. the chances of him having a productive, healthy nba career are very, very low to me.

Eagles_Legendz

Compare Hinkie to amaro is one of the silliest comparisons you have ever made MDS.

They literally operate their franchises from diametrically opposed view points.  You can disagree with what Hinkie is doing but comparing him to RAJ has no basis in reality.

MDS

im not comparing him to amaro, per se.

essentially, amaro had a good reputation in 09 10 and 11 when he was wheeling and dealing. he kept adding big name players, everyone was loving it. there was a blind faith (in rube we trust) that amaro would swing some "prospects" and add a superstar at the deadline. anyway, the phillies stink.

hinkie is of course the antithesis of amaro, but the blind faith in the "plan" is similar. everyone was loving the phillies mortgaging the future, and everyone is loving the sixers never attempting to have one. in hinkie we trust.

Eagles_Legendz

I don't see blind faith in what he's doing but I think it's reasonable for people to be on board with a long plan in the NBA given how hard it is to become a top 5 team. 

I think the plan he's operating gives them their best chance of competing for a title.  Whether it works - who knows, the odds are against it, but I'm all-in on this strategy rather than attempting to compete for the 5 seed.