Week 5: Eagles at Giants

Started by reese125, October 01, 2013, 07:35:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

General_Failure

Well he sure as hell didn't get through college on his arm strength.

The man. The myth. The legend.

reese125

10x's the presence and poise? jesus christ

yeah and when kolb became the 1st player in history to throw for over 300 yds and multiple td's his first 2 starts he had phenomenal pocket presence too.

they are both career backup qb's

ice grillin you

no

one guy shouldn't be in the league...the other seems to be a solid back up
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

MDS

foles has much better touch on his balls than kolb can even dream to have

wait thats dirty
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

ice grillin you

cobb  had super happy feet...if there was the slightest bit of pressure he freaked out...he also couldn't throw at all on the move....he basically had to have a really big and safe pocket or he had no chance

Eagles_Legendz

Quote from: ice grillin you on October 07, 2013, 08:49:26 PM
cobb  had super happy feet...if there was the slightest bit of pressure he freaked out...he also couldn't throw at all on the move....he basically had to have a really big and safe pocket or he had no chance

This.  Kolb also probably had the better arm than Foles.  I think Foles can be a good game manager type of a team with the right construction or a very good backup.  I don't see him as the future of the team at QB but I have no problem with him getting spot starts as a backup when needed (or being the QB the rest of this year).

Seabiscuit36

I'll wait for Munson to give any opinions on arm strength comparisons before casting judgement
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

SunMo

is there anything that reese isn't 100% wrong on?
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

ice grillin you

id love to see munson and reece go head to head on a wrong off

someone would have to win right?

Sgt PSN

Foles seems to have all of the mental and intangible tools you look for in a QB.  He's poised, doesn't come undone under pressure, isn't afraid of big moments, has a high football IQ, makes quick decisions, takes control of the huddle. 

Physically he has great size and is accurate. 

But the arm.  The arm is weak.  I like the kid, I really do.  But unless he starts doing some HGH I don't think you can expect his arm to get significantly stronger as time goes on.  You could probably game plan around it to hide his weakness but it won't take defenses very long to adjust to that.  He makes Alex Smith look like Jeff George. 

SunMo

i keep getting back to the fact that even with Vick, chipper didn't take many shots down the field.  i think foles would do fine in this offense.  he's a better decision maker than Vick and that's is huge in this offense

Sgt PSN

Quote from: SunMo on October 08, 2013, 08:35:40 AM
i keep getting back to the fact that even with Vick, chipper didn't take many shots down the field.  i think foles would do fine in this offense.  he's a better decision maker than Vick and that's is huge in this offense

I think he'd be ok, too.  No worse than Vick.  But one thing Vick still gives you is the threat of the run and Foles doesn't.  And Shady has been a big time beneficiary of that.  Vick also does give you the threat of a deep ball and even if the Eagles aren't throwing deep that often, the threat of it forces defenses to respect it and play further off the LOS.  This opens things up underneath and allows for some of these WR screens to pick up big chunks of yardage.  I think a lot of that goes away when defenses know they don't have to worry about anything 25 yds beyond the LOS.   

I'm still all for starting Foles, though.  I just don't know how viable he'd be in the long run.  There's limitations on how far you can stretch the field with him and once defensive coordinators get a hold of plenty of film on him and Chip's offense, there's a strong possibility that they'd figure out how to shut it down. 

SunMo

i take chip at his word when he says he would design the offense around his qb's strengths.  even with a mobile qb they don't run that much read option.  i think against the giants was the most called qb runs we've seen this year.  i agree that shady is a beneficiary of the threat of Vick running, but there are maybe 5-6 qbs in the nfl that pose that threat and teams still have good running games.  i have to think you can scheme shady into good running plays

Sgt PSN

I don't disagree with any of that.  My main concern is long term effectiveness of a Foles/Kelly tandem.  I just don't see it at this point. 

reese125

Quote from: SunMo on October 08, 2013, 08:20:28 AM
is there anything that reese isn't 100% wrong on?

you and your chubby friend wish you could predict as many things right as me

oh ive been wrong just like anybody else, but way way more right--fact

just keep banking on nick farging foles.