Charger Eagle Nonsense - Week 2

Started by ice grillin you, September 11, 2013, 12:30:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GeneralZOD

All day long at work a bunch of us have been going over the last two minutes of that game....

Although it doesn't matter, Here's what I would've done had I been head coach... What say u?

Trailing by three, the Birds had the ball at their 29-yard line with 3:05 left in the fourth quarter. It took them all of five plays and 56 seconds to reach the San Diego 14-yard line. That was fine.

Let clock run down all the way to 2 minute warning....

2:00-1st & 10 @ SD 14 yd line – Handoff to LeSean McCoy (possible 3-4 yd gain)
                                                        SD calls TO (1:50 remaining)
1:50-2nd & 6 @ SD 10 yd line –  Handoff to Lesean McCoy (possible 3 yd gain)
                                                        SD calls TO (1:40 remaining)
1:40-3rd & 3 @ SD 7 yd line -     Handoff to Lesean McCoy (benefit of a doubt; possible 2 yd gain)
   (SD has choice to take TO or save it – let's say they take their FINAL TO (1:32 remaining)
1:32-4th & 1 @ SD 5 yd line – Alex Henery FG (game tied 30-30) (1:25 remaining)

Alex Henery kickoff sails out of bounds in back of end zone – SD Ball at SD 20 yd line
                         1:25 REMAINING, NO TIME OUTS

SD would have to travel 45 yards to get in a long field goal situation with the clock running and no time outs available, plus run their kicker out with no warm-up time to try to make a 50 yard FG with time ticking down...  GO TO OVERTIME

But then again, considering this awful defense, anything is possible, so I guess this is a mute point...
CF Record Holder - Oldest User With Least Amount of Posts

SD

Herremans has been horrible this season. I don't know if the switch back to Guard or what but he's playing like shtein.

smeags

to me i take issue with them not staying in bounds on plays at the end. there was no need to stop the clock. none. make SD use their timeouts. there were three plays if i remember correctly that turned into 1st downs on that drive but the player ran out of bounds on all three which helped conserve time for the chargers.

bottom line is regardless of the "expected" horrible play from the defense this game was in the offense's hands at the end and it was like reid never left.
If guns kill people then spoons made Rosie O'Donnel a fatass.

Quote from: ice grillin you on March 16, 2008, 03:38:24 PM
phillies will be under 500 this year...book it

ice grillin you

the sideline play was all vick...on deep balls like that you throw the ball to a spot and the receiver runs under it....its not a targeted throw....if desean was running five yards out of bounds would vick have thrown the ball there?

Quote from: GeneralZOD on September 16, 2013, 03:12:49 PM
All day long at work a bunch of us have been going over the last two minutes of that game....

Although it doesn't matter, Here's what I would've done had I been head coach... What say u?

Trailing by three, the Birds had the ball at their 29-yard line with 3:05 left in the fourth quarter. It took them all of five plays and 56 seconds to reach the San Diego 14-yard line. That was fine.

Let clock run down all the way to 2 minute warning....

2:00-1st & 10 @ SD 14 yd line – Handoff to LeSean McCoy (possible 3-4 yd gain)
                                                        SD calls TO (1:50 remaining)
1:50-2nd & 6 @ SD 10 yd line –  Handoff to Lesean McCoy (possible 3 yd gain)
                                                        SD calls TO (1:40 remaining)
1:40-3rd & 3 @ SD 7 yd line -     Handoff to Lesean McCoy (benefit of a doubt; possible 2 yd gain)
   (SD has choice to take TO or save it – let's say they take their FINAL TO (1:32 remaining)
1:32-4th & 1 @ SD 5 yd line – Alex Henery FG (game tied 30-30) (1:25 remaining)

Alex Henery kickoff sails out of bounds in back of end zone – SD Ball at SD 20 yd line
                         1:25 REMAINING, NO TIME OUTS

SD would have to travel 45 yards to get in a long field goal situation with the clock running and no time outs available, plus run their kicker out with no warm-up time to try to make a 50 yard FG with time ticking down...  GO TO OVERTIME

But then again, considering this awful defense, anything is possible, so I guess this is a mute point...

couldnt disagree more with the play selection you have there...why would you play for a tie?....i still wouldnt agree with running the ball there but if they were tied and going for the lead there would be an argument at least because you were trying to WIN the game...but why would you run three times just to tie it....you absolutely have to go balls out to score a touchdown in that situation...

on the clock management side of things chipper was not good...but my biggest problem was not knowing the rule that he could have called a time out and not had to waste a play with foles...and then he piled on that mistake by running an assinine play for him
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Rome

It amazes me that more of you aren't in the coaching profession.   You obviously should be.

Sgt PSN

Yeah, I don't agree with playing for a tie either.  A td puts them up 4 and SD must go the length of the field and get in the end zone to win.  Anytime you have an opportunity to take game winning FG's out of the equation, then you sell out in order to do so....especially when your defense was as bad as the Eagles was yesterday.  1:25 would and no timeouts would have still been more than enough time for Rivers to get them into FG range.   

Questioning the play calling itself is fine, but they should have absolutely gone for the TD.  Hell, if anything, I'd have rather seen them go for it on 4th down.  It's not really smart but the entertainment factor would have been elevated which is about all I'm hoping to get out of this team this year. 

Rome

100% agree.  I was yelling go for it the moment the 3rd down play failed.

I'm a dipshtein, though.

MDS

it wouldnt have been the worst thing, really. the moment they kicked the fg the game was over. you knew sd was gonna drive for the winning kick.

chip admitted today the whole sequence was awful. all you can do is hope he learns from his mistake, unlike fatso, who never did. and i guess its not like this will screw up their chances at winning a super bowl or anything.

their ceiling for this year is winning a bad division and losing to seattle or san fran in the first round of the playoffs. that "goal" is still attainable.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

SunMo

i just rewatched late in the 3rd quarter when the eagles got a 3 and out after they tied it at 20.  on 3rd down they called a defensive holding on Chung and it was a brutal call.  not impacting the play at all and not even a hold. 
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

GeneralZOD

Yeah playing for the win was option by a couple of my co-workers... I thought about that but there is always that thing in my mind for the past couple of years that something stupid would've happened (like a false start, botched snap); I felt like this game had that "unfortunate circumstance" thing written all over it.... that's why I was content to take a tie into OT; hopefully Birdz get the ball first, drive, and score TD
CF Record Holder - Oldest User With Least Amount of Posts

ice grillin you

the offense and vick were in an absolute zone that second half...and on that drive in particular just breezed down the field...to then all of a sudden slam on the brakes run three times and kick a fg would have been ridiculous imo...the damn "injury" to vick killed all their momentum there
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

PhillyPhreak54

Yep...I knew that even after SD scored to make it 30-27 that there was no doubt the Eagles were going to go take the lead. This offense can score virtually at will...and in 2-min situations when DCs decide to run prevent? It will increase the scoring because that middle will be wide open.

But the injury to Vick stopped the momentum. Now Chip knows that he can call a TO and to slow it down in that situation.

Difference between Chip and Andy? I believe Chip will learn from that and apply it going forward

Sgt PSN

Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on September 16, 2013, 07:19:19 PM
Difference between Chip and Andy? I believe Chip will learn from that and apply it going forward

And about 100 lbs. And fruit smoothies. And musical practices. And pressers.

Eagles_Legendz

I don't see how running the ball and playing for the win are inherently conflicting ideologies.  The Eagles showed that they could run the ball against SD.  I don't see why the idea of running when they got to the 14 means settling for a FG, especially with the added bonus of draining clock considered.

hbionic

Hindsight, maybe they should milk clock....but I can't get mad at a guy who uses all his bullets looking for the end zone in what has worked all game. Play to win. You'll keep the pressure on the defense and play on your own terms. If you play scared, you already lost.

I'm good with it. If they score, we're all sucking each other's dicks.
I said watch the game and you will see my spirit manifest.-ILLEAGLE 02/04/05