Sixers 2013 Off-Season Thread

Started by PhillyPhreak54, April 27, 2013, 02:28:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ice grillin you

countdown of best nba team names....sixers #2

Quote2. Philadelphia 76ers

What a magical nickname — a combination of numbers and letters that sounds so nice, with all those "S" sounds. It carries a shorthand in "Sixers" that is just as good, evokes the city's monumental place in U.S. history, and stands out as one of the great creative nicknames in sports.

The name is obviously a reference to the signing of the Declaration of Independence in Philadelphia in 1776, an event worth loud and proud commemoration, and "Seventy-Sixer" has the Knickerbocker effect of working as a shorthand for people from Philadelphia. Most major highways that run through and around the city include the number "76," the Liberty Bell is there, the Founders signed the Constitution there, and the city served as the nation's capital at times during and after the American Revolution.

In other words: Go crazy with the kick-ass historical references, Philly. You deserve it. The inherent patriotism of the name has allowed the Sixers to play with red, white, and blue color schemes and to toss some flag elements into their logo designs. The minimalist white basketball with blue trim, a red "7," and a circle consisting of 13 stars (for the original 13 colonies) is high basketball art.

Alas, the Sixers have struggled to come up with a workable mascot — the downside of the Knickerbocker-style name. The team mercy-killed Hip-Hop the sunglasses-wearing rabbit after the lockout, sending out a bogus press release indicating Hip-Hop had "fallen in love" and left the franchise — not all that different from the time Poochie died on the way back to his home planet. They then asked fans to choose a new mascot form three options — a generic goofy dog (Poochie II?), a basketball-playing moose (getting warmer), and a hooping Ben Franklin (ding!), but the franchise ultimately chose none of the above. Get this right, and the Sixers may ascend to the throne.
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Sgt PSN

Who is doing that countdown?  Never really thought about it before, but yeah....the 76ers as a team name is pretty farging dope in the way that it connects to the city and how unique it is in comparison to other names.  And now that they've come correct and switched back to the old school logo and colors and killed off that wascilly wabbit, they're definitely towards the top of the league in name and uniforms. 

I'll take a guess at who the other 4 are in the top 5 (or at least who I'd have up there):

Knickerbockers
Celtics
Trail Blazers
Pistons

I'm guessing based solely on the ties the name has to it's home city.  Bulls has always been a favorite of mine though I have no idea how it relates to Chicago.  It just sounds mean and the logo is pretty badass looking.  And if this list came out a few years ago, I might have the Sonics in the top 5 somewhere.  I guess the Rockets should probably be up there too.  It just makes sense as a name.  Jazz would be great if they were still in NOLA....or even Memphis....or pretty much anywhere except farging Utah.  Whatever.  How'd I do?   

ice grillin you

Quote from: Sgt PSN on August 23, 2013, 01:47:27 PM
Who is doing that countdown? 

I'll take a guess at who the other 4 are in the top 5 (or at least who I'd have up there): 

lol

Sgt PSN

I'm glad I made you laugh, but would you mind telling me why? 

Sgt PSN

phattymatty

would like to watch that but i won't. WHY IS HE THERE?

oh, that's that new channel which i don't get for some reason. still not watching.

Sgt PSN

Luckily, he only gets about 20 seconds of airtime himself and doesn't go on a "poor me" rant.  GP's story is pretty funny though. 

Sgt PSN

Here's a breakdown for you:

0:00 - 1:40 is McNabb free and GP talks about guarding AI.

1:40 - 2:23 is McNabb talking about how great AI was. 

2:23 - 4:33 is McNabb free and GP telling the "practice" story. 

MDS

doug is probably joining espn's pregame show
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

ice grillin you

how great would a three man booth of zoom doug and malik be

at the very least doug should be the sixers version of bill clement

MDS

malik is essentially sarge but dumber and more likable
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

ice grillin you

hes much better than sarge....I thought he was a joke at first but hes really imporved and come into his own...hes not just likeable like sarge hes a validly good color guy

ice grillin you

BigEd76

Still nobody under 6'4" on the roster

ice grillin you

espn started their countdown of nba players.....the sixers have an amazing five players in the bottom one hundred....the list includes free agents too

they also have the single worst player with royce white at number 500