Game of Thrones

Started by Diomedes, February 24, 2013, 07:52:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

QB Eagles

Kind of a mess of an episode. Tried to pack in too many things. Not really sure why Arya had to wait a day to get into the House of Black and White. The Night's Watch election storyline felt rushed. Other than the chat with Selmy about the Mad King, the Mereen stuff is kinda boring me too. Dany needs the advice of a friend... a friend from deep in the friendzone.

I rather enjoyed the Sansa-Littlefinger scene, Stannis offering Jon Winterfell (again something they should have played out longer than the 10 seconds between when it was offered and when Jon said he wouldn't accept), and hearing from Kevan Lannister. But overall, not one of the best of the series.

smeags

def a rushed episode. table seems to be set for the next 8 shows.
If guns kill people then spoons made Rosie O'Donnel a fatass.

Quote from: ice grillin you on March 16, 2008, 03:38:24 PM
phillies will be under 500 this year...book it

Eagles_Legendz

I didn't think it was that rushed but as I said before the episode, definitely had more of a season opener feel to it like the first episode was 1a and this was 1b.  Glad Jaqen is back, Bronn and Jaime should be fun, and liked Kevan's role at the small council.   Still find it hard to care too much about Brienne and Pod even though there's nothing necessarily wrong with those scenes.

Kit has been much better this year as Jon.   I get the reasoning for grouping Stannis' offer back to back with the LC election, but it had the effect of tempering the gravity of just what Stannis was offering him. 

smeags

the jamie/bronn storyline looks to be one that will be a fun ride for fans. who didnt like cersei having her lil diva act thrown right back in her face ?
If guns kill people then spoons made Rosie O'Donnel a fatass.

Quote from: ice grillin you on March 16, 2008, 03:38:24 PM
phillies will be under 500 this year...book it

rjs246

Everything that's happened at the wall has been rushed. That scene voting for the new commander was a joke as was everything about Snow getting the option to be a Stark. The first two episodes have been straight dookie.
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

phattymatty

i like that there's a guy named kevin.

QB Eagles

Quote from: rjs246 on April 20, 2015, 10:13:59 AM
Everything that's happened at the wall has been rushed. That scene voting for the new commander was a joke as was everything about Snow getting the option to be a Stark.

Yeah it took Jon like half a season just to make any friends. Now they cram him being shockingly elevated to the leader of the whole Watch into one far-inferior-to-the-book scene, and have him dismiss his lifelong wish in 10 seconds. These are two of the biggest events of his life. I think they spent more time than this showing Loras' ass in the last episode.

I guess it's all a consequence of saving the Battle of Castle Black for the climactic Ep 9 spot last year. Now they are far behind the other parts of the story and are trying to play catch-up. Meanwhile Jon Snow did farg-all for the majority of last season. If you're gonna get away from the books, then you might as well get away from trying to play catch-up and just let things develop naturally. D&D are good enough writers to work the timing out better than this.

QB Eagles

While we're on timing, does anyone have any idea who holds Riverrun at this point in the show? Overrun with Freys, held by the Blackfish, or what? The Brotherhood Without Banners hasn't done anything in two years and Balon Greyjoy hasn't done anything in more than two years. These are very patient War of the Five Kings factions that don't even see Tywin's death as a good time to make a move.

I wonder if this stuff is permanently abandoned or just on pause while the show moves down to Dorne.

Munson

I don't think it's the end of either situation. The previews for next week show Stannis telling Jon he's not safe. I'm guessing we have more politics surrounding both ideas next week. Stannis is gonna keep trying to convince Jon, while Alliser Thorne maybe threatens his life.
Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

QB Eagles

Jon keeps pissing all over everything Stannis is trying to do. Dude has to be getting frustrated.

Munson

I was so pissed at Jon for turning it down. I get the reasons why, but farg, come on Snow. Be the new Stark in Winterfell, help Stannis kick the shtein out of the Boltons.
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

QB Eagles

Quote from: Munson on April 20, 2015, 06:53:31 PM
I was so pissed at Jon for turning it down. I get the reasons why, but farg, come on Snow. Be the new Stark in Winterfell, help Stannis kick the shtein out of the Boltons.

I felt that it was an easier decision to make in Storm of Swords, even though that offer came with a couple untenable stipulations. And THAT Jon Snow gave the significantly worse offer significantly more consideration.  I haven't read books 4 and 5, so I don't know where this is going, but I guess Rickon will eventually be the Stark in Winterfell. I think he gets precedence over his sisters in Westeros society. I figure Bran will be all farged up and wired into a tree.

SD

Wasn't a fan of the end. Danaerys is a savior who freed the slaves and opts for peace and she beheads a guy in public? Makes no sense politically.

Munson

She's making a lot of the same mistakes as Robb was in S3 right now...choosing "justice" over maybe doing the smart thing.

Eagaholic

Yeah, Dany pulled a Joffrey there.

I meant to do an over/under on the number of necks we see blood spurt out of this season. I was curious given the sharp drop off from about 700 in the first 2 seasons. Seems to be back on track now. I was going to set the o/u at 6 but now it definitely looks like the over.

Anyone else find it interesting how in the witch scene, Maggie the Frog's valonqar prophesy was left out in the show? Might be the most important one. And that Cersie is at the top of Arya's list? And how her list has now shrunk down to 4, maybe 3? And why did Jaqen h'Ghar have his old face instead of the presumably new one he revealed? I thought the new guy looked far more the part.

I like that the show isn't predictable as per the books but I hope D/D are really looking ahead.