Rest Of Baseball - 2013

Started by PhillyPhreak54, February 11, 2013, 08:52:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rome

Glavine is a NO?

The hell is wrong with you?  Dude won 300 games.  He's IN.

So is Rock Raines.  His stats are debatable but he's my all-time favorite baseball player, so farg you, he's in.

hbionic

lol at Romey and his man love for Raines (who was a beast by the way). He is Andre Dawson-ish.

I looked at Tom Glavine. I think when lined up with Maddux, and Smoltz, he's definitely #3. Maddux is a no-brainer...Smoltz...well...I can debate it...and depending on what school of thought you come from...should a Hall of Famer be no question or should you make a case for them? I think if you have to make a case, they are NOT a hall of famer.

I said watch the game and you will see my spirit manifest.-ILLEAGLE 02/04/05

Geowhizzer

The only reason Mattingly's even a consideration is that he played in New York.  Otherwise, he's Cecil Cooper.

Geowhizzer

Here's my choices for all that care... and eveyone:

My HOF Ballot:

PED group:
Barry Bonds
Roger Clemens
Mark McGwire
Rafael Palmeiro
Sammy Sosa

Non-PED Group
Jeff Bagwell (yeah, there's allegations...)
Craig Biggio
Tom Glavine
Edgar Martinez
Fred McGriff
Jack Morris
Mike Mussina
Mike Piazza
Tim Raines
Curt Schilling
Lee Smith
Frank Thomas

Rationale: 
1. If you're going to let Bonds/Clemens skate by on PEDs, you have to let all of them skate by (Sosa, Palmeiro).  I go back and forth about the steroids generation, and right now have the opinion that you almost have to assume that anyone with gaudy numbers like that from the 1990s-2000s were using.  Either let them all in or keep them all out. 

2. Hard to believe that Mussina a) won 270 games, and b) retired after winning 20.  If he pitches two more years, he may have the 300 and a slam-dunk election.

3. I love me the 1980s guys.  Reminds me of being young.

Summary

If I had to name 10 (since I believe that's the limit), here are my selections:
Jeff Bagwell
Craig Biggio
Tom Glavine
Jack Morris
Mike Mussina
Mike Piazza
Tim Raines
Curt Schilling
Lee Smith
Frank Thomas

farg the PED users.  They can wait a few more years.  McGriff and Martinez are borderline to me, and can wait one more year.

ice grillin you

YES this year - maddux

YES in the future - big hurt, glavine

MAYBE in the future - schilling, raines, piazza
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

SunMo

Cano to Seattle, 10 years $240M
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

phattymatty

Quote from: Geowhizzer on December 06, 2013, 06:17:32 AM
The only reason Mattingly's even a consideration is that he played in New York.  Otherwise, he's Cecil Cooper.

yeah i went back and looked at his stats after i said that and they're not nearly as good as i thought. but him and mike schmidt were pretty much the face of baseball when i was a kid so i would still vote him in.

ice grillin you

hes only a consideration because they basically put anyone on there...sean casey is up for consideration too

outside of maybe louie from new rochelle no one really thinks mattingly is a HOF

MDS

glavine is a lock, its not even a debate

i cant wait to see who leaves maddux off their ballot.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

Geowhizzer

1983-1987 (you could even say 1989), Mattingly looked like a sure HOFer.  .331 average, 30 homers each year.

After 1989, though, he was  limited power (58 HRs total) and a .280 hitter.  Basically he was Ricky Jordan.

PhillyPhreak54

Carlos Beltran, NY Yankee....3yrs $15M

ice grillin you

PhillyPhreak54

Same thing I thought...

He's a solid player even at 36.

I lol'd when listening to the radio today and one dude called McCann an "enforcer"

PhillyPhreak54

shtein....my bad

3yrs $45M....$15M per year

ice grillin you