2012 Training Camp Thread

Started by PhillyPhreak54, July 25, 2012, 12:42:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sgt PSN

The 3rd down defense was atrocious.  But surprisingly, I think the Eagles defense was like top 5 in 3rd down efficiency last year.  Of course, I wouldn't be surprised if they had fewer 3rd down snaps than most teams in the league, so their percentage could just be freak statistic.   

SD

Quote from: Sgt PSN on August 12, 2012, 08:08:56 PM
  But surprisingly, I think the Eagles defense was like top 5 in 3rd down efficiency last year. 

That can't be right they were pathetic

The play that really tipped me over the edge was DRC jumping and driving his shoulder into Leftwich's face on 3rd and long. It's idiotic plays like that scream "we have no discipline".

But really the litmus test for the Eagles D last season was early in games, if the DBs were making a lot of tackles you knew it was going to be a long day.

Sgt PSN

Quote from: SD on August 12, 2012, 08:14:38 PM
  But surprisingly, I think the Eagles defense was like top 5 in 3rd down efficiency last year. 

The play that really tipped me over the edge was DRC jumping and driving his shoulder into Leftwich's face on 3rd and long. It's idiotic plays like that scream "we have no discipline".

But really the litmus test for the Eagles D last season was early in games, if the DBs were making a lot of tackles you knew it was going to be a long day.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/downs/sort/thirdDownConvPct/position/defense

Yeah....you're right.  They were middle of the road on 3rd downs last year.  Could have sworn I heard during the broadcast that Baldy or Graham say that they were a top 5 unit last year on 3rd down.  Whatevs. 

PhillyPhanInDC

Jaiquawn Jarrett slides toward the bottom of the roster
Posted by Mike Florio on August 12, 2012, 7:40 PM EDT

In 2011, the Eagles used a second-round pick on safety Jaiquawn Jarrett.  In 2012, they could be bidding Jarrett adieu.

According to Tim McManus of PhillyMag.com, Jarrett's rocky showing in the preseason opener against the Steelers resulted in Jarrett losing some of his second-string reps to Tom Nelson.

The move has puts Jarrett in danger of being waived.

"That's how it rolls," Jarrett said.  "But I'm going to continue to do what I do, go out here and get better."

Jarrett played at Temple, and he seems to be realizing that the NFL entails a slightly higher level of talent than whatever conference Temple plays in.  (Annnnnnd now I'm going to get a nasty letter from Bill Cosby.)

"Every player is faster and stronger and bigger but it's just about the technique, continue to keep working and taking better angles," Jarrett said.

An angle he may be taking in the future entails the angle between the exit door and the spot where his car is parked.

Sunk-cost fallacy

When one makes a hopeless investment, one sometimes reasons: I can't stop now, otherwise what I've invested so far will be lost. This is true, of course, but irrelevant to whether one should continue to invest in the project. Everything one has invested is lost regardless. If there is no hope for success in the future from the investment, then the fact that one has already lost a bundle should lead one to the conclusion that the rational thing to do is to withdraw from the project.
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.""  R.I.P George.

SunMo

mike florio is a farging douchebag.

what a hack
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

PhillyPhanInDC

Yeah, worst part is the institution was basically forced to recognize him (see NBC, et al) and it has only served to validate him.
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.""  R.I.P George.

phattymatty

so is andy's agent being a scumbag by trying to get these contract discussions in the same week as garrett's death or is is a smart move on his part?

i feel like it's not normal for coaches to get extended in the preseason anyway, is it?

SD

Quote from: phattymatty on August 13, 2012, 09:05:20 AM
so is andy's agent being a scumbag by trying to get these contract discussions in the same week as garrett's death or is is a smart move on his part?

i feel like it's not normal for coaches to get extended in the preseason anyway, is it?

Yes I agree hes being a scumbag

Eagaholic

Quote from: Sgt PSN on August 12, 2012, 08:26:13 PM
Quote from: SD on August 12, 2012, 08:14:38 PM

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/downs/sort/thirdDownConvPct/position/defense

Yeah....you're right.  They were middle of the road on 3rd downs last year.  Could have sworn I heard during the broadcast that Baldy or Graham say that they were a top 5 unit last year on 3rd down.  Whatevs. 

Yeah, I thought I heard something like that. too.
Can't imagine that Baldy could be wrong though [/sarcasm]

PoopyfaceMcGee

Asomugha and Nate Allen just collided, and Nnamdi is still lying face-down on the ground.

Looks like both Joselio Hanson and Brandon Boykin may make the team after all!

UPDATE: Probably just a concussion. Future law suit plaintiff.

Eagaholic

This guy is getting to be one of my favorite players. He's got that good cro-magnon look

QuoteAs practice was winding down Sunday afternoon, Clay Harbor caught a shovel pass in the red zone and rumbled in for the touchdown as Landri tried to strip the ball late. The outcome of the play already determined, Harbor took umbrage with the defensive tackle's aggression and started what he thought would be a typical shove-and-separate training camp tussle. But Landri had other ideas.

The 6-2, 290-pounder threw what looked like an uppercut punch before proceeding to rip the helmet off Harbor's head. With the situation escalating Harbor zipped out of the lion's den before chucking the ball at Landri.

"It's competition. I'm just trying to finish the play, trying to strip him. Sometimes you can't tell where you're at on the field," said Landri. "He didn't like it, turned around and tried to swing. I didn't like that, so I retaliated."

Eagaholic

Quote from: FastFreddie on August 13, 2012, 04:12:41 PM
Asomugha and Nate Allen just collided, and Nnamdi is still lying face-down on the ground.

Looks like both Joselio Hanson and Brandon Boykin may make the team after all!

UPDATE: Probably just a concussion. Future law suit plaintiff.

bad news for Nnamdi's lawsuit

QuoteThey collided and fell to the ground. Allen got up fairly quickly but Asomugha stayed down as teammates took a knee around him. Within a few minutes he began stirring and rose to his knees as the crowd cheered. He eventually made it to his feet, was assisted to the cart and taken inside.

"He looked alright. He was smiling a little bit and talking. It's not like he was out of it or concussed or anything," said Allen.

Asomugha suffered a concussion in early December last season against the Seahawks.

ice grillin you

so if you believe any of the beat guys over the last few days it looks like there is the possibility that the eagles are trying to force chris polk into a fullback position so they can somehow keep him....if this is true its the kind if next level thinking that results in putting as much talent on the roster as possible and i love it
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

SD

Yeah that next level thinking experiment worked well when they tried that with Tony Hunt. Stick with a real fullback who can actually block and stop trying to squeeze an extra weapon into the mix.

ice grillin you

tony hunt was a talented hack...that should have never been signed as an udfa much less picked in the third round....polk is in a glut of talent and can only make the team in certain ways....the fact that they are trying to be creative to keep him is awesome....and anyway its not like hes at a positon they or anyone else in the nfl uses anymore
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous