2012 Training Camp Thread

Started by PhillyPhreak54, July 25, 2012, 12:42:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shorebird

Quote from: ice grillin you on August 07, 2012, 03:55:30 PM
Quote from: shorebird on August 07, 2012, 03:45:47 PM
Also, most of the time it's the son or daughter that buries the parent, not the other way around.

thats brilliant analysis there.....older people normally die before younger people....no shtein

...a point that seems to be missed by rjs in his post that I was replying too when he says, "Every sad thing that has ever happened to anyone happened to someone's child." Yeah, everyone is someones child, even if the parents are long gone.

hbionic

I said watch the game and you will see my spirit manifest.-ILLEAGLE 02/04/05

shorebird

Quote from: rjs246 on August 07, 2012, 04:00:22 PM
Quote from: shorebird on August 07, 2012, 03:45:47 PM
Quote from: General_Failure on August 07, 2012, 01:03:31 PM
Parents who do drugs, have children who do drugs.

Andy Reid does drugs? That explains a lot of late game management.

Quote from: rjs246 on August 07, 2012, 09:03:06 AM
There's nothing worse than parents getting all sentimental about tragedies that happen to other people's children. It's so farging indulgent and only serves for people to say 'oh look at me I love my child and am compelled to wax philosophic about how much I love my children and this tragedy/feel good news story/rain cloud finally gives me the opportunity to let it all out'. EVERYONE is someone's child. Every sad thing that has ever happened to anyone happened to someone's child. Garrett Reid was 29 farging years old. It's not like a three year old got eaten by a bear here. Spend more time parenting and less time thinking about how amazing your offspring are and telling me about it.

I'm not trying to say that at all, I'm just saying it's a lot harder for them and a lot more things out there that can kill kids nowadays then it ever was 15 years or so ago. Also, most of the time it's the son or daughter that buries the parent, not the other way around.

90 years ago life expectancy was in the 50s and people died young all the time. Weird illnesses. Malnourishment. Massive wars. Workplace accidents. Etc etc.

People have been burying their children for as long as people have been having children and if anything we bury them less now than we ever have at any point in human history. Maybe that highlights how sad it is when it does happen these days, but the spike in meth usage doesn't even come close to representing the kind of threat to our younger generation as, say, the Viet Nam war or small pox or dingos or any of the 1000s of things that humans had to worry about in years gone by.

Everyone thinks that life was easier or safer when we were coming up. Almost without fail the opposite is true, but because we're flooded with a never-ending stream of bad news on a 24 hour cycle and have access to the worst of human behavior at the press of a button we think the world is a dangerous place. It just isn't true. We're safer than any animal in the natural world has any business being.

Yeah, you got a good point there, but I was hinging more towards the self inflicted type of thing. Maybe I should have said theres a lot more ways to kill yourself nowadays then there ever was, without really meaning too, drugs, drinking and driving on conjested roads, shtein like that.

Sgt PSN

You do know that drugs and alcohol aren't really all that new, right?  They've been killing people for a few thousand years now. 

Rome

Sassy be on top of shtein, yo.

Sgt PSN

I guess there's "new" ways to die today that weren't around say 100+ years ago....bungee jumping, hang gliding, sky diving, etc.  But those are rare instances.  And when you think about improvements made such as workplace safety (specifically in manual labor industries), I'm pretty sure people are dying less frequently today than at any point in history. 

Oh, and kids dying before their parents is nothing new.  It's been around for quite a while, actually.  The whole "no parent should ever have to bury their child" sentiment is so farging annoying and one of the most awful cliches I've ever heard.  Is it really any worse than a child burying their parents?  Or a brother burying his sister?  Dealing with the death of a loved one farging sucks regardless of the relationship. 

BTW.....what the farg does any of this have to do with camp?  Condolences to Reid and everything, but I don't need a play by play of the funeral.  I want Nick Foles news. 

Rome

I feel bad for Reid just like I would any parent who lost his child.  The circumstances are irrelevant.  Dude lost his son.  It's terrible.  The end.

ice grillin you

Quote from: Sgt PSN on August 07, 2012, 07:09:42 PM
Condolences to Reid and everything, but I don't need a play by play of the funeral.  I want Nick Foles news.

someone said the other day that if you are in the bleachers when foles is getting reps at camp you better be alert

i lol'ed
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Sgt PSN

Quote from: ice grillin you on August 07, 2012, 07:21:58 PM
Quote from: Sgt PSN on August 07, 2012, 07:09:42 PM
Condolences to Reid and everything, but I don't need a play by play of the funeral.  I want Nick Foles news.

someone said the other day that if you are in the bleachers when foles is getting reps at camp you better be alert

i lol'ed

I assume this is because he's super awesome and you don't want to miss so much as a single second of his greatness coming into full bloom, right? 

ice grillin you

Sgt PSN

I thought so.  I had a great feeling about that kid when he was drafted and I'm going to go edit my comments in the draft thread to reflect that. 

Tomahawk

Quote from: Sgt PSN on August 07, 2012, 07:09:42 PMBlah blah And when you think about improvements made such as workplace safety (specifically in manual labor industries), I'm pretty sure people are dying less frequently today than at any point in history. Blah

Truth. When I go to the factory floor, I gotta wear steel toe shoes even though it's obviously redundant.

shorebird

Quote from: Sgt PSN on August 07, 2012, 05:49:17 PM
You do know that drugs and alcohol aren't really all that new, right?  They've been killing people for a few thousand years now. 

Oh yeah? How'd that get by me?

How long drugs and alcohol have been around has nothing to do with it, it's the availability and roads that are ten times as conjested as they were 15-20 years ago. Also, meth, oxy, and heroin, some of the most addictive, are brand new if you're talking thousands of years.

QuoteThe whole "no parent should ever have to bury their child" sentiment is so farging annoying and one of the most awful cliches I've ever heard.   

If something like that gets you, you must be annoyed an awful lot.

It's going to be interesting to see how the team reacts to all this, and when Reid will come back to coaching. Does this push him into retirement? Or in not, maybe just off the field and into the GM spot.

ice grillin you

for out of towners the steelers eagles game will be replayed on nfl network friday at 1pm as well as sat at 9am

DH

It isnt going to be aired live? farg me.