2012 Training Camp Thread

Started by PhillyPhreak54, July 25, 2012, 12:42:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eagaholic

For the most part Andy doesn't care if his FBs can block, he just wants them to be Roger Craig catching the ball out of the backfield. At least for their 1.7 targets/game. I think it's a bad idea trying to convert some guy to FB, Dan Klecko is a good example. It usually doesn't work out, especially now where there isn't the luxury of carrying a player for 2-3 yrs grooming them, since they are needed so infrequently. I'd rather see Celek back there as an H-back than a convert (though I don't know if Polk ever played any FB before). Ever since Andy made Weaver the highest paid FB in NFL history, then saw his career end on his next play, I doubt they will go out and pay a quality FB, which is too bad because they are cheap to sign. Reid did say in the last couple of days when asked if they necessarily need a FB, that FB is an integral part of the WCO. Maybe they can bring that head bleeder guy from Oakland back.

ice grillin you

the fullback position specific is not the issue here......its using that position to keep talented player on your roster.....the eagle fullback plays a role in like 15% of the downs
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Eagaholic

From what I've read, Polk has looked at sluggish at TC and Brown and Lewis have looked great so far. Haven't really had a chance to see him though.

ice grillin you

oh def but thats the point....polk is waaaay behind brown and dion but they still see mad potential in him....so rather than cut him or put him on the ps where he might get claimed they are going to name him the "starting" fullback

EDIT: i should say i hope they name him the starting fullback or otherwise find a way to keep him

General_Failure

Golf club to the leg and IR. I'm a genius. Where's my goddamn money?

The man. The myth. The legend.

Eagaholic

I hope he is that good but I would think he'd probably be safe on the PS.

Eagaholic

Quote from: General_Failure on August 18, 2012, 12:24:17 AM
Golf club to the leg and IR. I'm a genius. Where's my goddamn money?

Not until you use the club

ice grillin you

Quote from: Eagaholic on August 18, 2012, 12:24:34 AM

maybe...but you know who would be safe on the ps....farging stanley havili

Eagaholic

Polk is about 20 pounds undersized for a full back and has bad shoulders, but I saw where he did do some lead blocking in college. Does sound like a perfect fit.

ice grillin you

the eagles only used a full back on 17% of their snaps last season...when they wanted to run they generally went to two te sets...so really it doesnt matter if polk can be a fullback because hes not gonna see field but a handful of times each game...i wonder if he can play special teams cause that would obviously help his chances

rjs246

Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

Feva

Quote from: Eagaholic on August 17, 2012, 11:59:23 PM
From what I've read, Polk has looked at sluggish at TC and Brown and Lewis have looked great so far. Haven't really had a chance to see him though.

Everything I've read says that while Lewis and Brown definitely appear faster, Polk is a much more physical runner and holds a lot of value because he's a good pass blocker. He's also been really good at short yardage situations.

Quote from: ice grillin you on August 18, 2012, 12:32:52 AM
Quote from: Eagaholic on August 18, 2012, 12:24:34 AM

maybe...but you know who would be safe on the ps....farging stanley havili

That's pretty much how I feel about it. I like the idea because it improves their RB depth at the low cost of Havili and a position they barely use anyway. Havili is more of a pass catching type FB than a punishing lead blocker, anyway. I don't see how Polk couldn't bring that same thing to the team.
"Now I'm completing up the other half of that triangle" - Emmitt Smith on joining Troy Aikman and Michael Irvin in the Hall of Fame

"If you have sex with a prostitute against her will, is that considered rape or shoplifting?" -- 2 Live Stews

ice grillin you

Quote from: Feva on August 18, 2012, 10:28:53 PM
Quote from: Eagaholic on August 17, 2012, 11:59:23 PM

Everything I've read says that while Lewis and Brown definitely appear faster, Polk is a much more physical runner and holds a lot of value because he's a good pass blocker. He's also been really good at short yardage situations.

yeah brown has clearly outplayed and is way ahead of polk but i have not heard anything negative about polk since maybe the first couple of days of camp when reports had him stil trying to learn the calls

dion was always going to be ahead of both of them because of his experience

i am in no way trying to build polk up to be some sort of training camp phenom its just my opinion that when you get down to the end of the roster why not keep talent and promise over all else...its a broken record from me but in the end talent is going to always rule the day....if we are talking about a starting position then other factors such as experience and reliability then maybe you go with less talent...king over demetress right now is probably a pretty good example of this...

but if you are talking about the 52nd spot on the roster at a positon that is a non factor being battled out by two young players then why not go talent every time.....to me you find a way to keep polk if all possible....and in fact it sounds like that is what they are searching for....i really like this strategy......thats all

SD

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/eagles/20120819_Eagles__Dunlap_getting_the_hang_of_Mudd_s_blocking_demands.html

Dunlap is getting the start Monday meaning if he at least slows down the person he's supposed to block then he's the opening day starter.

I'm still not sold on Mathis, Kelce, or Watkins either. Herremans is under rated. This is the primary reason the Eagles aren't going to win dick this season. Vick will be running for his life behind this line, will make stupid throws for picks, and at some point is going to get injured. The line was a bright spot at times last season but once you remove the best LT in the game from the equation it's back to scrambling Vick.

This and the D is going to be dreadful again.

Rome