Main Menu

UDFA Thread

Started by ice grillin you, April 30, 2012, 10:22:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ice grillin you

chris polk
RB
5-11, 222

QuoteA strong, well put together back with natural girth through his lower half and a well defined upper body. Has experience running both from the gun and I-formation sets and showcases good patience when asked to decipher information. Looks natural diagnosing the action around him and never seems to be in a rush. Allows his blocks to set before accelerating through the hole. However, possesses only an average first step. Showcases more of a second gear once he gets his legs churning into the open field, but it takes him a bit of time to reach top end speed. Doesn't do a great job running behind his pads inside and despite his aggressive, hard running style can be tripped up easily at times. Isn't overly fluid when trying to change directions at top end speed. Showcases some subtle foot quickness when picking his way through the line and trying to side step a defender. But gets narrow with his lower half when trying to make a defender miss at full speed and goes to the ground too easily.

Now, he does run hard and will lower his pad level into contact, churn his legs through the play and create additional yards. However, isn't the type of physical back many make him out to be because he often exposes too much of his frame and can be wrapped up easily on the inside. Isn't real shifty at the line and despite doing a nice job reading his run keys, is more of a weaver when picking his way through traffic and not a real sharp/sudden change of direction back. Doesn't play overly fast, seems to build speed as he goes and might time better than he plays, but in tight areas looks like a 4.55 guy.

Will catch the football well out of the backfield though. Looks natural snatching throws off his frame and has experience as a wide out in high school. Is also a natural blocker in blitz pickup. Is able to quickly to recognize the blitz, slide his feet and anchor on contact. Would like to see him do a better job sticking on contact though.

Impression: Is a big kid with a good feel inside, runs hard and will break some tackles. However, pad level, initial burst and lack of great change of direction skills make me think he's potential NFL starter only.

ryan tydlacka
P
6-2, 200

Quotehes a punter who also has placekicked and has a pot belly

elvis akpla
WR
6-0, 195

QuoteThe 6-foot, 185-pound can really catch the ball. He had a breakout senior season with 63 receptions for 1,145 yards and 11 touchdowns. A former University of Oregon player, Akpla caught at least one pass in all 35 of his games at MSU. His speed could help him double as a punt returner. Akpla earned his degree from MSU in cellular and molecular biology in December. He hopes to go to medical school if his NFL dreams don't pan out.

matt camilli
6-4, 240
LS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLDwi4eG0j4

Quotefrom utep which is coincidentally dorenbus' alma mater

chase ford
TE
6-6, 245

QuoteHe isn't a real explosive athlete and lacks much of a burst off the line. Has a tough time really coiling up into his stance, keeping his base down and tends to roll off the snap. However, he builds speed down the field, showcases good ball skills, coordination, and does a nice job playing with a defender on his hip. Isn't real sudden though out of his breaks. Has some savvy when asked to set up defenders in tight areas and uses his body well to shield and pluck off his frame. Isn't a guy who is going to be real explosive in a phone booth and separating initially as he tends to drift into his breaks.

Now, he's not to be confused in any way with former Miami standout Jimmy Graham. However at 6-6, 258 pounds you could do a lot worse with a developmental tight end prospect in the back end of the draft. He's got a good feel finding soft spots in coverage, can adjust to the football, can pluck off his frame and make some difficult grabs with defenders around him. However, he also has a tendency to put some easy throws on the ground.

Impression: Had a good showing at this year's East-West Shine game and for a guy at his size with his body control looks like a option you can draft late and try to mature into an every down type option. Has the frame to add weight and get much bigger.

cliff harris
CB
5-11, 165

QuoteStrengths
+Good tackler for his size.

+Has big play ability in the next level. Harris is extremely explosive and has great hands and instincts when the ball is in the air. Last year, Harris recorded 6 interceptions and returned one for a touchdown. He has great body, balance, and very fluid hips which allow him to get to any position around the receiver to make a play.

+Speed is extremely important to a cornerback in the NFL and Cliff Harris has a lot of it. I expect him to run a low 40 time but his football speed seems even faster.  Harris has great acceleration and can cover a lot of ground in not a lot of time. His acceleration gives him great makeup speed thus reducing his mistakes. He will be able to keep up with any NFL receiver.

+Athleticism allows Harris to be an excellent return man. Last year, Harris returned 4 punts for touchdown with his sheer elusiveness and speed. He can definitely make an impact in this department for many NFL teams as he learns the ropes in being a professional cornerback.
+Very competitive attitude.

Weaknesses
-Size. Harris has adequate height at 5'11 but according to ESPN, his weight is 165 lbs. This will be a problem if Harris wants to go up against the Calvin and Andre Johnsons of the league. I expect Harris to have already added some weight but he should be around at least 190 lbs entering the NFL to be able to play and not get injured and/or tossed around.
-Does not add much help in run support. This is primarily due to size but Harris does not get off of his blocks well as running backs come around the corner.
-Get burnt frequently going after the big play. Needs to be more patient in coverage.
-Extremely raw coverage skills. Harris shows flashes of great coverage but does not really have great man on man or zone cover skills. He cannot be left alone to cover a receiver at this point.
-Off the field issues. Harris was suspended indefinitely by coach Chip Kelly for driving 118 mph on a suspended license in a rental car. This was also the second time  Harris has been caught driving on a suspended license.

Conclusion: Cliff Harris is extremely raw but has tremendous upside. His football instincts are natural however, he does need to work on his coverage skills to be a cornerback in the NFL.  I expect Cliff Harris to go in the second round of the draft as he is still top 5 for his position. His size and off the field problems are troublesome, but his potential as a big play cornerback and a return man is too much to pass over for teams in need of a cornerback.

Emil Igwenagu
FB/HB/TE
6-1, 245
Look Test: Pass

Positives -- Big body, has a very strong build and massive arms... Decent speed and a solid athlete, had a 34.5" vertical at the combine... Good receiver, runs good routes out of the backfield; natural hands, doesn't drop many balls and adjusts well to poorly thrown balls... Long arms help him as a blocker and gives him a large catch radius... Still learning the position, so he has room to grow... Versatile, has played fullback, H-Back, linebacker and tight end over the past three years... Good intangibles, was a team captain for UMass.

Negatives -- Was not utilized much as a rushing threat, only had four carries for seven yards as a senior... Undersized for a tight end at 6'1", likely an H-Back candidate in the NFL... Needs to be used correctly; won't fit in every offense as he's not a great lead blocker and doesn't have the physical tools to line up consistently at tight end... Has small hands for his size... Didn't exactly dominate FCS competition.

mckay jacobson
WR
5-9, 192

Quote"The former highly touted high school player projects as a slot receiver," Brandt writes. "I think he'll be drafted in the seventh round or so. Jacobson has the chance to be a very good pro player."

damarius johnson
KR
5-8, 170

QuotePositives: Good speed and very quick. Good instincts after catch. Effective in traffic. Set NCAA record for career kickoff yards and AP yards in 2010.

Negatives: Below-average upper-body strength and is easy to bring down with any contact. Seems contact-shy when going over the middle as a receiver. Suspended for 2011 by team for embezzlement arrest and is entering 2012 draft.

Projection: Undrafted, but should stick on a roster as a backup slot WR and effective returner.

aaron pflugrad
WR
5-9, 183

QuoteStrengths: As the son of a coach, Pflugrad is an intelligent player on the football field and knows his assignments. Terrific route runner. After struggling with drops in 2010, became a sure-handed target throughout last season. Has experience working out of the slot and on the outside. Quick off of his breaks. Had an impressive 22 bench press reps at ASU's Pro Day. Great work ethic.

Weaknesses: A player who is quicker rather than fast, having run an average 4.66. Will struggle to beat NFL defensive backs deep. His slight frame may present problems beating press coverage. With few impressive tangibles, will have a difficult time standing out from a deep wide receiver group.

Round Projection: 7th to undrafted

Prediction: Undrafted, priority free agent

jeremy stewart
FB
5-11, 217

QuotePositives: Slashing runner with one-cut style. Average speed. Above-average power. Effective in short yardage. Also makes good special teams decisions. Good hands.

Negatives: Long injury history and not used often due to injuries in 2009 and 2010. Granted another year of eligibility in 2011.

Projection: Undrafted. Best bet to make a team is practice squad and special teams.

darnell williams
KR/WR
6-1, 200

QuoteLed nation in kick return averageOnly the second player ever from Louisiana College to go to an NFL camp.  Went to same High School as Dukes Austin Rivers and Nationals manager Davey Johnson

phillip thomas
S
5-10, 198

Positives:
Nice length and large hands. Fine range and ball skills — can high-point and has soft hands to pluck interceptions off his frame. Darts downhill and shows closing burst when he sees it. Plays faster than his timed speed. Has special-teams experience.

Negatives:
Adequate size — needs to bulk up. Below-average speed. High, choppy pedal. Shows some stiffness in transition. Limited tackle strength — does not bring his feet or explode through his hips and leaks yards after contact. Struggles to break down — lower-body stiffness shows in space. Bench-pressed 225 pounds only 14 times, lowest among FS prospects at Combine. Character needs to be investigated.

Summary:
High-cut, straight-linish, inconsistent free safety with range and ball skills to fit in a cover-2 defense, though he needs to be heavier on contact. Character concerns could affect his draft standing.
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

PoopyfaceMcGee

Quote from: ice grillin you on April 30, 2012, 10:22:46 AM

Emil Igwenagu
FB/HB/TE
6-1, 245
Look Test: Pass

Ha, you made a funny.

And agreed on Igwenagu... dude is a MAN.

rjs246

Finally. Jesus, people.
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

phattymatty

ryan tydlacka
P
6-2, 200

this is my buddy's friend. i am rooting for him to make it.

PoopyfaceMcGee

Chas Henry farging sucks anyway.

reese125

Quote from: phattymatty on April 30, 2012, 10:50:47 AM
ryan tydlacka
P
6-2, 200

this is my buddy's friend. i am rooting for him to make it.

To the gym?

ice grillin you

kiper just released his best udfa at each position...i believe he did a top six and the eagles landed the following

#1 rb - polk
#1 fb - igwenagu
#4 cb - harris
#1 s - thomas

pretty damn impressive

Zanshin

Good. I imagine the Eagles look like a pretty attractive landing spot for UDFAs, because while they have talent and some stability, there's still a good chance to make the roster at certain positions of need. I'm glad they got some talent at those spots, even if it's only for development and potential depth.

General_Failure

Quote from: ice grillin you on April 30, 2012, 02:47:07 PM
kiper just released his best udfa at each position...i believe he did a top six and the eagles landed the following

#1 rb - polk
#1 fb - igwenagu
#4 cb - harris
#1 s - thomas

pretty damn impressive

Who doesn't want to come to the Dream Team?

The man. The myth. The legend.

hbionic

Quote from: Zanshin on April 30, 2012, 04:11:07 PM
Good. I imagine the Eagles look like a pretty attractive landing spot for UDFAs, because while they have talent and some stability, there's still a good chance to make the roster at certain positions of need. I'm glad they got some talent at those spots, even if it's only for development and potential depth. But most importantly for message board chatter.
I said watch the game and you will see my spirit manifest.-ILLEAGLE 02/04/05

Zanshin

You just like looking at the pictures of the dudes.

ice grillin you

it pretty obvious from these signings that they are trying to find depth at slot wr a kr and a te

competition for clay harbor dion lewis and chad hall

PoopyfaceMcGee

Chad Hall is actually less effective than Reno Mahe. Clay's odds of making the final roster probably better than 50/50. Dion's probably just about 50/50.

shorebird

Elvis Akpla. Gotta' love that name.

SD

Not only am I willing to go on record by saying this is the Eagles best draft class since 2002, I'd also like to say this is the best UDFA class in the entire Reid era.