We Finally Have A Winner - Draft Grades

Started by ice grillin you, April 28, 2012, 06:38:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Feva

Quote from: ice grillin you on April 29, 2012, 01:43:57 AM
excellent review but i feel like you liked the draft more than me yet i had it a B+

I noticed that as I was giving the final grade. I like the draft a lot at this point, but I can't give them an A because 2 of the 9 picks I thought was dumb as hell. Then I couldn't really give a B+ because you did. Had you given a B, I probably would have went B+... so it's your fault for farging things up.
"Now I'm completing up the other half of that triangle" - Emmitt Smith on joining Troy Aikman and Michael Irvin in the Hall of Fame

"If you have sex with a prostitute against her will, is that considered rape or shoplifting?" -- 2 Live Stews

ice grillin you

Quote from: Feva on April 29, 2012, 02:47:21 AM
Then I couldn't really give a B+ because you did. Had you given a B, I probably would have went B+... so it's your fault for farging things up.

i normally get killed for hating too much...now i am jerking off all over one of my teams and im farging things up

you could have just gone A--
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

ice grillin you

just saw that they signed cliff harris as an udfa...he was someone i wanted in the 5th or 6th round...an excellent corner and a next level return man...has some off the field problems but imo was one of the best two or three corners in the entire country in 2009...hes a def 2nd or 3rd round talent
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Don Ho

Great signing.  His off field problems were not that bad.  Speeding, pot.

QuoteCliff Harris was one of college football's enigmas in 2011: blessed with first-round talent and the confidence to go with it, Harris missed much of his final season with the Oregon Ducks while suspended after multiple legal incidents, and saw his 2012 NFL Draft stock plummet as a result. He'll have a chance to catch on in the NFL after signing a deal as an undrafted free agent with the Philadelphia Eagles, according to Neil Stratton.

Harris is the sort of playmaker with ball skills, when on, who could develop into an Asante Samuel-like player with Philadelphia. And if he sticks in camp, Harris might yet replace Samuel, who the Eagles shipped to the Atlanta Falcons earlier this week.

Harris was also an electric return man for the Ducks prior to 2011, and gives the Eagles, who have DeSean Jackson and Jeremy Maclin, surplus speed at the position.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/pac12/story/2011-12-06/oregon-cliff-harris-dismissed/51671870/1
"Well where does Jack Lord live, or Don Ho?  That's got to be a nice neighborhood"  Jack Singer(Nicholas Cage) in Honeymoon in Vegas.

Rome

I liked every pick except the hair band roadie.  I would have preferred Cousins over Foles and there's no farging way I would have picked either one in the third round, but I can't fault Andy's decision to actually take a QB, especially with the prospect of Trent Edwards potentially making the final roster otherwise.

My favorite pick was Boykin.  And I liked the Curry pick very much too.  Anyone with that sort of passion for the game (and the Eagles) gets a thumbs up from me.

Overall:  A-

PoopyfaceMcGee

A/A+ picks:
Cox, Boykin, McNutt, Washington

A-/B+ picks:
Kendricks, Curry, Brown

C/C- picks:
Foles, Kelly

Considering where they got the players, here's how I break it out. The main reason I don't go lower than average for Foles is that the QBs likely available in the 4th wouldn't have even been worth taking. Was really hoping they would get Russell Wilson in that spot (and frankly I think they were too). Kelly is a big ugly oaf, but I imagine he got the thumbs up from Mudd... And it's not like they wasted a really early pick.

The biggest negative of the draft as a whole is the lack of addressing the safety position. Probably "should" have done that with the Curry pick, but the value of that pick is really good. Don't think any safeties were available that would have made the same kind of impact. Shame they picke Graham instead of Earl Thomas a couple of years ago.

I really wish you would all stop with the cutting edge analysis and concern of Kendricks' ability to play SAM. Go find a 6'3" linebacker that can both take a pounding and has fluid hips and catlike agility... Until then, spare us and spare yourselves the embarrassment of your efforts. Let it play out. Thank God they didn't draft a safety. We'd have to talk about whether he will play FS or SS and how those roles actually reversed when Castillo took over the defense.

But anyway, couldn't have expected much better the day after. Now let's see if these kids can actually play a lick in the NFL.

Grade: A-

JackStraw

What I like is the seeming 180 the eagles have done for their draft day. They appeared disciplined, stuck to a plan, adapted as the moment unfolded and most of all jettisoned the "smartest guys in the room moneyball" horseshtein. Other than the well skewered couple of stretches, the players selected combined for both need and best talent available at the time. Love the ud pick today.

I think the best part is that no matter what, in years hence, you wont be able to point and laugh at this draft like so many in the past 8 years.

For that, draft strategy and discipline gets an A
Draft day execution gets a B+
Player selection is a B+, only held back by the Qb and that lurch who looks like an xtra from the Walking Dead

Oh yes, an A for the player quotient of last names affording the many dick jokes.
And another A for seeing so many  :CF 'ers on the board at one time again.
Endless regression to the mean

Zanshin

Hard to hate anything they did. Now all the players have to do is live up to everyone's hopes. No problem, right?

SD

I give the draft an A-. The Foles and Kelly pick were the only players I wasn't thrilled with and they mopped up in the UDFA department. Couldn't be happier. By comparison I gave last years draft an F when they reached for everyone.

Drunkmasterflex

I think from a pure draft standpoint this is by far the best under Andy Reid.  Love the Kendricks and Boykin picks I think they could provide a much needed spark for the defense.

I think Kendricks being a SAM is a little overrated from the standpoint of the defense they run.  It is not a traditional SAM Lb.

Also really liked the Bryce Brown pick, he was rated by many as the #1 HS prospect coming out, a little bit of a headcase but certainly has a ton of talent.

The only WTF pick for me was the Kelly pick

I am not as down on the Foles pick as the rest of you are, AR deserves some credit when it comes to drafting QBs he was picked about where he was supposed to be. 

I like the Curry pick in that I think he has an opportunity to be a very valuable rotational guy.  He is also Graham insurance because I am not convinced he will ever come back from the micro fracture surgery. 

Overall I think this is a solid A draft every team including the Ravens/Steelers have WTF picks.   That said they finally had a Steelers/Ravens type draft, I don't think I could be more excited.
Official Sponsor of #58 Trent Cole

The gods made Trent Cole-Sloganizer.net

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Zanshin

Quote from: Drunkmasterflex on April 29, 2012, 01:25:32 PM
... I don't think I could be more excited.

...somebody needs to get out more ;-).

Drunkmasterflex

I actually spent the day getting shteinfaced yesterday, I am such a nerd I dvr'd the draft and watched it this morning. 
Official Sponsor of #58 Trent Cole

The gods made Trent Cole-Sloganizer.net

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Feva

As I think about it more... one thing that I didn't give the Eagles props for, which turned out to be pretty big, is trading out of #51 and getting back into the 4th round which allowed them to grab Boykin. Then still being able to grab Curry at #59, who some were calling a late 1st round talent.

Not too bad of 4th round haul when it brings you DeMeco, Cox and Boykin...
"Now I'm completing up the other half of that triangle" - Emmitt Smith on joining Troy Aikman and Michael Irvin in the Hall of Fame

"If you have sex with a prostitute against her will, is that considered rape or shoplifting?" -- 2 Live Stews

BigEd76

Adam Caplan says this is the first time in the Reid era that he couldn't really question anything about their draft.  He thinks Cox and Kendricks will start right away.  He also said the Eagles wanted Russell Wilson at the Foles pick, and they never really liked Tannehill.