2012 NFL Draft

Started by reese125, February 26, 2012, 09:43:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PoopyfaceMcGee

PoopyfaceMcGee

TMQ's round-up

So, this is the Kansas City blurb...

QuoteKansas City: Mike Mamula was a pretty good college defensive lineman who wowed scouts with a fantastic workout at the 1995 combine. He shot up to the seventh overall selection of the 1995 draft. Mamula went on to a journeyman NFL career. Injuries plagued him, so we'll never know what might have been.

Now it's 2012, and Dontari Poe, a pretty good college defensive lineman, wows scouts with a fantastic workout at the combine. He shoots up to the 11th overall selection, by the Chiefs. Watch some Poe college film, and you will see a gentleman who looks like a journeyman. Played too "high," seeming to struggle to locate the ball. When a defensive lineman straightens up to look for the ball, he exposes his chest to blockers and is immediately pasted. For all Poe's incredible size-strength numbers, he spent considerable time flat on his back after being knocked over because he played too high.

Workout numbers are interesting, but how an athlete performs under game conditions is what matters. Some athletes have remarkable measurables but just don't play well. Other athletes fail to stand out in a crowd -- I chatted with LeSean McCoy at a Super Bowl party, and physically he is unremarkable -- but when they are on the field, they exhibit a sixth sense. McCoy plays as if he were twice his size; Poe plays as if he were half his size.

Sgt PSN

That article totally went full circle. 

ice grillin you

shady playes pretty small imo...in a great way of course...but i dont know if id be holding him as a player that plays twice his size...

hideous example used by that writer
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

methdeez

Quote from: ice grillin you on May 01, 2012, 03:29:41 PM
shady playes pretty small imo...in a great way of course...but i dont know if id be holding him as a player that plays twice his size...

hideous example used by that writer
Exactly.
It's not basketball TMQ. If he played twice his size, he would be o-line sized monster bowling people over. Shady doesn't play like that at all.
I stopped reading that dude about 5 years ago. He is too old, grumpy, and repetitive for me.

Rome

I'm pretty sure they meant Shady plays with huge heart and balls whereas Poe plays like the world's tallest midget.

ice grillin you

if he was he did a terrible job of articulating it and it also would be wrong...po po's heart has never been questioned....just his production

Diomedes

Quote from: methdeez on May 01, 2012, 07:03:28 PMI stopped reading that dude about 5 years ago. He is too old, grumpy, and repetitive for me.

He needs an editor something awful.  His columns are way way too long and his "smart guy talking football" schtick got old a long time ago.  As you said, like five years ago.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

PoopyfaceMcGee

phattymatty

thats a weekly feature.

paco

I wish I knew about it sooner.  How anyone reads TMQ is beyond me. 
I'm not from Philly but some say I'm blunt.

ice grillin you

how does everyone hear about all these places...i feel like a 75 year old everytime something like "TMQ" is discussed and everyone is acting like they have known about it for the last 15 years and ive never heard it.....

this happens all the time

paco

For me, when I first got out of college I had a lot of time to kill during the work days, so I spent a lot of time on page2 and other one off's of other sports sites.  I read his column a few times and after I got over the "OMG, its so long" gimmic, I realized it was just one big piece of shtein.  Then in 2003 when he ranted about Jews in hollywood, he got kicked off ESPN, only to be brought back, thats probably the only reason I remembered him and not just "TMQ".

Every now and then I'll see someone post a link, but more times than not I'll pass.  I think someone here posted a link to his draft recap and I thought "ok, lets see what this idiot has to say"... and surprise!  I was completly worthless.

So... you're not missing out.

Now, a column that highlights his weekly idiocy and rips him a new icehole, that appeals to me.
I'm not from Philly but some say I'm blunt.

phattymatty

i feel like TMQ actually has been a thing for 15 years. unreadable for the last 13 but still a thing.

PoopyfaceMcGee

I was just impressed that the entire section on Kansas City centered around the Eagles, because that's the kind of nonsense he writes.

For the record, I think MMQB and TMQ are two of the worst examples of sports writing around. Fat white guys get forums to drone on about young black kids playing football. But, I generally read both for the unintentional humor.