Rest of Baseball - 2012

Started by PoopyfaceMcGee, January 04, 2012, 04:57:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geowhizzer

Bill Lee's brownies were much more popular anyway.

Rome

Quote from: SunMo on January 11, 2013, 02:51:19 PM
and i'm glad that steroids = bad

greenies = ok

haha... so true.

ice grillin you

yikes the nats are gonna be sick

soriano
storen
clippard

lol what?
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

MDS

michael youngs back is laughing at you right now
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

ice grillin you

dan haren is their 5th starter and drew storen their third best relief pitcher

MDS

Quote from: ice grillin you on January 15, 2013, 02:40:37 PM
dan haren is their 5th starter and drew storen their third best relief pitcher

the phillies counter with jon lannan and phillipe aumont

advantage, local 9
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

Rome

So Soriano at 14 million dollars a year (for two) is a good deal for the Nats but Papelbon @ 12.5 million (for four) is like, the worst ever?

I see.

ice grillin you

not the worst ever but pretty terrible and completely over the top an unesssecary

nats did it the right way...waited it out and got a guy at only two years

of course the nats are a favorite for the world series and are going all out so you can pay a little more per year as you can also pay a litle more per year when you arent giving a long term committment

the philles were headed into the abyss and gave a four year deal that is the largest in major league history for a closer

SunMo

nats better win it all in the next two years because they aren't keeping that team together
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

ice grillin you

as long as the lerners own the team they will...baseball richest and one of the richest men in the world period

SunMo

they still won't go over the luxury tax, no one does
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

ice grillin you

i dont know teds exact thoughts on the tax are but i do know he has said many times he will pay whatever it takes to win....and numerous teams have paid lux tax and not just the sox or yanks...of course the tax wasnt as high then but as far as a % of the cash on hand these teams paid it was much higher than anything that nats would pay simply because they are so rich...so it wouldnt suprise me at all if they are willing to pay the tax

it is true that they are so loaded that even if they are willing to pay the lux tax they wont be able to keep every last player...but they have more money than god and will be able to replace any lost players with guys that are more than good enough...and with how young they are plus more young studs coming their window is way bigger than two years

Sgt PSN

Quote from: ice grillin you on January 16, 2013, 08:19:08 AM
not the worst ever but pretty terrible and completely over the top an unesssecary

nats did it the right way...waited it out and got a guy at only two years

of course the nats are a favorite for the world series and are going all out so you can pay a little more per year as you can also pay a litle more per year when you arent giving a long term committment

the philles were headed into the abyss and gave a four year deal that is the largest in major league history for a closer

Pretty much the way I look at it too.  It's not the contract itself, it's that the contract handcuffed the team from addressing so many other needs.  If it's 2007 and the Phils need a closer, then throwing 50mil at Papelboner makes sense because they've got talent up and down the roster.  But it doesn't make a lot of sense to spend that kind of money on a closer when you really don't even have the offense that will consistently give you the lead late in games or the middle relief/set up guy to hold it.  Classic case of putting the cart before the horse. 

ice grillin you

earl weaver got ejected for the last time

PhillyPhreak54