2012 Eagles Draft Thread - Defense Please

Started by ice grillin you, December 02, 2011, 07:57:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Feva

Quote from: SD on April 18, 2012, 10:02:48 AM
The Eagles are sitting at 15 and have their choice of Cox/Poe/Brockers or Cople. Who's your pick?

For me it would be a toss up between Cox and Coples

Coples, hands down... and I wouldn't even say that DT too much more pressing than DE is. Babin is getting up there and Killa ain't no young buck himself. Who knows how much longer they'll be playing at a high level? Nobody knows shtein about Graham, so you can't really count on him going forward. They could definitely use new talent at DE. The Giants show that there's NEVER too many pass rushers.

I don't expect Coples to be there at #15, but if he was, you gotta take him and give Washburn a new toy.
"Now I'm completing up the other half of that triangle" - Emmitt Smith on joining Troy Aikman and Michael Irvin in the Hall of Fame

"If you have sex with a prostitute against her will, is that considered rape or shoplifting?" -- 2 Live Stews

phattymatty

i go coples out of anyone available other than the top 3-4 guys. i actually had no idea he was falling so far in most mocks because of character issues or whatever. i don't think he's last until 15 but if he does i will squirt.

Feva

Quote from: PhillyPhanInDC on April 18, 2012, 12:44:04 PM
Cox has really been flying up boards if you believe any of the nonsense that gets put out, that could push Coples down. Poe is also a wild card.

Here is a question for - if both are available at 15, do you go Barron or Coples?

Me, I'd go with Barron.

At #15:

Coples > anyone not named Luck, Griffin or Richardson
"Now I'm completing up the other half of that triangle" - Emmitt Smith on joining Troy Aikman and Michael Irvin in the Hall of Fame

"If you have sex with a prostitute against her will, is that considered rape or shoplifting?" -- 2 Live Stews

ice grillin you

Quote from: Feva on April 18, 2012, 12:46:22 PM
Quote from: SD on April 18, 2012, 10:02:48 AM
The Eagles are sitting at 15 and have their choice of Cox/Poe/Brockers or Cople. Who's your pick?

For me it would be a toss up between Cox and Coples

Coples, hands down... and I wouldn't even say that DT too much more pressing than DE is. Babin is getting up there and Killa ain't no young buck himself. Who knows how much longer they'll be playing at a high level? Nobody knows shtein about Graham, so you can't really count on him going forward. They could definitely use new talent at DE. The Giants show that there's NEVER too many pass rushers.

I don't expect Coples to be there at #15, but if he was, you gotta take him and give Washburn a new toy.

i dont think DT is more of need at all than DE for the reasons you mentioned....the reason DT is talked about so much more than DE and thus why people identify DT as such a need position is because theres a bunch of tackles that could be there at 15 for the eagles where as the only two ends (ingram and coples) you would ever take that high are both most likely gonna be gone
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

SD

Quote from: PhillyPhanInDC on April 18, 2012, 12:44:04 PM
Cox has really been flying up boards if you believe any of the nonsense that gets put out, that could push Coples down. Poe is also a wild card.

Here is a question for - if both are available at 15, do you go Barron or Coples?

Me, I'd go with Barron.

Coples

1. Because good D-lineman are more valuable than Safety's. 2. Because I still look at Barron as a late 1st early 2nd round pick. If he was the Eagles pick I'd be more than happy because they filled a need but I don't think he's a top 15 talent. That being said he probably goes to Dallas with pick #14.

Cox is looking more and more like he'll go in the top 10 and Poe looks like he's fallen to mid to late first round material.

For the people that are in love with Coples, would you package a 3rd round pick with #15 to move up for him? Usually I might say no but they have 2 extra seconds so the 3rd is a little more expendable.

ice grillin you

i def would do that deal...i have zero confidence in howie hitting on a third round pick so id rather make a move for a guy thats a lot harder to whiff on

SD

We usually don't know shtein about who the Eagles are targeting, but I have this feeling they're going to trade up and Cox is their guy...here's some more evidence to support this:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/04/17/report-eagles-would-target-fletcher-cox-over-tannehill/
The Eagles have shown quite a bit of pre-draft interest in Texas A&M quarterback Ryan Tannehill. They worked him out in College Station on April 2, and a recent report from the Cleveland Plain Dealer suggested that the Eagles were interested in trading up in the draft.

According to Tony Pauline of SI.com and TFY Draft Insider, however, the object of Philadelphia's affection in any trade wouldn't be a new quarterback. It'd be Mississippi State defensive tackle Fletcher Cox.
Citing "several sources," Pauline reports that the Cox would be the Eagles' target if they engineered a trade into the top-ten selections. Cox is an up-the-field, pass-rushing interior lineman, and would fit Philadelphia's Wide-Nine defensive scheme.

We projected Cox to the Eagles in our latest online mock draft, and it's believed the team sent defensive line coach Jim Washburn to work out Cox on Mississippi State's campus after the Combine.

One potential top-ten trade partner could be Jacksonville at No. 7 overall. It's no secret that the Jaguars want to trade down in the draft, and the Eagles may have to leap ahead of the pass rusher-needy Dolphins (No. 8) and Panthers (No. 9) in order to secure Cox.

Feva

Personally, I would if he's sitting there at 9-10. I don't expect the Eagles would though because I don't think they see it as a real area of need. I think they're content to sit back and see who falls to them, whether it's Cox/Brockers/Poe/Barron or whatever. A 3rd rounder is peanuts to give up to secure a potential player like Coples.

Feva

Btw... I met Coples last week when he was in to pre-tape a segment on our show (NFL Live). Holy shtein... look test pass like a motherfarger. That cat is monsterous.

ice grillin you

Quote from: Feva on April 18, 2012, 12:59:04 PM
I don't expect the Eagles would though because I don't think they see it as a real area of need. I think they're content to sit back and see who falls to them, whether it's Cox/Brockers/Poe/Barron or whatever. A 3rd rounder is peanuts to give up to secure a potential player like Coples.

i also dont think they do it because of coples boom or bust aspect...he really did shut it down last year and there is a legit concern that a pro contract may be a bad thing for this kid...i personally would still do it for the upside and im a risk taker for talent but you certainly wouldnt rip the eagles for shying away from trading up for him

moving up to get cox makes zero sense to me...i personally would rather have brockers but even if you favor cox why would you trade up to get a guy who in part of arguably the strongest position in the draft....id trade back and get worthy or po po before i moved up for cox

Quote from: Feva on April 18, 2012, 01:03:20 PM
Btw... I met Coples last week when he was in to pre-tape a segment on our show (NFL Live). Holy shtein... look test pass like a motherfarger. That cat is monsterous.

yeah hes a friggin beast

PhillyPhanInDC

I'm also warming up to the idea of them grabbing a corner if they sit at 15. I don't think they move up at all, sure the third is more expendable, but they need shteinloads of new blood on defense. I think the first three picks are some combination of DT/DE, CB, S.
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.""  R.I.P George.

Feva

I still think (or at least hope) that they're gonna spend one (or even better, both) of those 2nds on a LB.

General_Failure

Short, high motor LBs. You know how this works.

The man. The myth. The legend.

PhillyPhanInDC

Quote from: Feva on April 18, 2012, 01:13:49 PM
I still think that they're gonna spend one (or even more likely, two) of those 2nd day picks on a  LB.
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.""  R.I.P George.

Feva

Quote from: PhillyPhanInDC on April 18, 2012, 01:25:58 PM
Quote from: Feva on April 18, 2012, 01:13:49 PM
I still think that they're gonna spend one (or even more likely, two) of those 2nd day picks on a  LB.

Well, yeah... because that's when they're going to have the 2nd round... but point taken.