2012 Eagles Draft Thread - Defense Please

Started by ice grillin you, December 02, 2011, 07:57:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don Ho

Quote from: Hawk on December 02, 2011, 01:16:21 PM
I can't even get excited for this top ten pick.  Howie is despicable as a gm.   What was a worse move... Putting an oline coach at dc or putting a contract lawyer as gm...

Yes sir.  As long as ding and dong are around expect the expected.  Another weak & unproductive slew of picks.
"Well where does Jack Lord live, or Don Ho?  That's got to be a nice neighborhood"  Jack Singer(Nicholas Cage) in Honeymoon in Vegas.

Eagaholic

Quote from: ice grillin you on December 04, 2011, 04:26:22 PM
i dont think you need to necessarily trade vick....you have to keep him in 2012 because his dead money hit is astronomical if you let him go now...but its much more manageable in 2013

Actually, if the Eagles drafted a qb in the 1st round, say in pick 5-10 and traded Vick, it wouldn't create that much dead money and they would save several million a year overall which = banner boner.

ice grillin you

if they trade vick of course there is zero dead money....i was talking about a scenario where they cant trade vick and if thats the case you have to hold on to him until feb/mar 2013
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Eagaholic

There would still be a few million dead money from his signing bonus, but his contract actually becomes less tradeable after 2012.

BigEd76

sitting at #6 right now

NO + JAX wins = #5 pick
DET + JAX wins = coin flip w/ JAX for #5

ice grillin you

Quote from: Eagaholic on December 04, 2011, 10:25:05 PM
There would still be a few million dead money from his signing bonus, but his contract actually becomes less tradeable after 2012.

18 mil dead money if cut now

7 mil in 2013

2 mil in 2014

Eagaholic

Quote from: ice grillin you on December 04, 2011, 10:29:19 PM
Quote from: Eagaholic on December 04, 2011, 10:25:05 PM

18 mil dead money if cut now

7 mil in 2013

2 mil in 2014

The $18 million is if he were cut now, but we were talking if he was traded. Usually guaranteed money is accelerated into to the current year and picked up by a team trading the player, but in this case Vick's base salary is guaranteed in 2012. Since it's base salary, it would travel with the player to the new team. The signing bonus however ($1.4 million per year over 4 remaining years = 5.6 million = "a few million") would accelerate into the Eagle's current year cap though.

I said his contract becomes less tradeable after that because his base salaries then go up to $17 million to $20 million a year after that.

ice grillin you

i know what you are saying but base salaries are pretty meaningless in football...in the sense that if you want him for your team whether because you think hes good or because you think he will sell tickets and merch it doesnt matter what his base is...you are gonna take him....

base salary is almost irrelevant in the nfl because how valuable you think the player is to your team trumps whatever his base salary is since you can cut anyone at anytime

let be honest nfl contracts in general are bogus but the only thing that means anything is dead money

Munson

So say they do let DeSean walk, and end up picking in the 8-12 range...do they go WR?
Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

BigEd76

Unlikely.  Blackmon and Jeffery will likely go top 5, then the next one (Michael Floyd) may not go until the 15-20 range

Munson

perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

BigEd76

Drunkmasterflex

Official Sponsor of #58 Trent Cole

The gods made Trent Cole-Sloganizer.net

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Munson

I'm not anti-Vick yet. I think he's proven he's somewhere between awful Atlanta-Vick and Super Human Vick that we saw the first few games last year. He's a guy that can tear up a defense when he gets time to throw (Dallas game this year). Worth 100 mil? prob not, but there are a ton of guys like that in the league who are considered good starters. And those guys don't have the threat with their legs that Vick has.

That being said, if they drafted RG3 I certainly won't be upset about it.

Diomedes

Well they gotta have someone with a future behind Vick sooner than later.  It ain't Young and it ain't motherfarging Kafka.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger