2012 Eagles Draft Thread - Defense Please

Started by ice grillin you, December 02, 2011, 07:57:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drunkmasterflex

I agree that Vick has played well when he has had time. Problem is he sometimes creates the pressure by holding onto the ball.

Bottom line he can't stay healthy.....how long until one of his injuries is catastrophic?

They might as well draft a RGIII or Barkley if they get the chance.
Official Sponsor of #58 Trent Cole

The gods made Trent Cole-Sloganizer.net

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Don Ho

Quote from: Drunkmasterflex on December 05, 2011, 11:35:13 PM

.....how long until one of his injuries is catastrophic?

It's a minor miracle it hasn't happened this year.  He'll never play a complete season so it may just be time to prepare for life after Vick.

"Well where does Jack Lord live, or Don Ho?  That's got to be a nice neighborhood"  Jack Singer(Nicholas Cage) in Honeymoon in Vegas.

Eagaholic

Vick's biggest problem is a highly inconsistent and porous OLine. If he had a very good line he could be borderline top 5. With a bad line it doesn't matter who they put back there. Manning wouldn't walk again.

ice grillin you

the line has actually been fine this year in pass protect....not great but certainly not terrible and not bad  enough to put any of the blame on them...in fact the line was much worse last year when vick was playing his best football

coordinators have caught up to him and he isnt intellectualy sound enough at the qb position to adjust himself...his strength is certainly not reading defenses and making quick decisions thats for sure

hes just not a very good nfl quarterback and never will be...exciting sure...amazing arm...check....fun to watch yes sir...gonna lead your team anywhere....probably not
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

SD

Quote from: ice grillin you on December 06, 2011, 07:28:36 AM
the line has actually been fine this year in pass protect....not great but certainly not terrible and not bad  enough to put any of the blame on them...in fact the line was much worse last year when vick was playing his best football

coordinators have caught up to him and he isnt intellectualy sound enough at the qb position to adjust himself...his strength is certainly not reading defenses and making quick decisions thats for sure

hes just not a very good nfl quarterback and never will be...exciting sure...amazing arm...check....fun to watch yes sir...gonna lead your team anywhere....probably not

Agree with every word of this.

I think Vick actually plays better when the O-line is playing bad, he's forced not to overthink what he's doing and he gets to use his athletic ability to make plays.

Rome

The line has been fine this year?

Hahaha... Wow.

ice grillin you

pass protect has been fine

i think only three teams have given up less sacks

you are thinking last year when it was a jailbreak on almost every drop back

reese125

Quote from: Rome on December 06, 2011, 08:52:43 AM
The line has been fine this year?

Hahaha... Wow.

See how many times Young got sacked? You can count on 1 hand.

Rather than move and shuffle his feet in the pocket (which sadly Young does better than Vick), Vick likes to run out or around causing a major breakdown in protection schemes.

PoopyfaceMcGee

The easiest way to say this is that a lot of teams have gotten much more efficient offensive production with offensive line play that is sub-par to that the Eagles usually get.

Look at tape on the Packers if you don't believe it.

Sgt PSN

It's pretty hard to judge oline play based on sacks when you have 2 of the most mobile and athletic QB's in the league playing behind it.  I'd say the oline has been adequate in pass protection and it seems to have improved as the year has gone on, but there's probably a dozen sacks that the line has given up this year that Vick/Young were able to run out of that many other QB's wouldn't have. 

ice grillin you

im not basing it on sacks....im basing it on having watched the games...only reason i even brought up sacks is because romey was acting like i was insane and that the line has been a catastrphe of some sorts this year and when you are at or near the top of the fewest sacks given up list then you are at worst a solid line

also having a running qb can hurt your sack totals as much as it helps them because there are many plays they try and extend only to end up getting sacked...plus vicks inability to quickly make reads cancels out much of his mobility advantage

ice grillin you

Quote from: ice grillin you on December 02, 2011, 07:57:33 AM
week 13

3-8 jacksonville vs. 4-7 san diego - win win game but still gotta root for jacksonville - bad
3-8 carolina at 4 -7 tampa bay - another no lose game for the eagles but again root for the team with less wins - good
3-8 miami vs oakland - winnable game for the dolphins - good
4-8 eagles - lost to seattle - good
4-7 washington vs ny jets - skins stay with the eagles - bad    
4-7 arizona vs dallas - cobbsy is back; cards get waxed in a home game that wont have a home field adv. - great - altho it hurts the second round pick the eagles got in the cobb deal
4-7 kansas city at chicago - calololeb hanie; chiefs have a real shot - good    
4-7 cleveland vs baltimore - why is this game at 4; cLeveLand - bad

not a favorable week schedule wise for the eagles to jump up but they do have a golden opportunity for a little movement via their head to head matchup

week 14 - birds would currently pick 6th

4-8 tampa bay at 3-9 jacksonville - win win but root root for jacksonville   
4-8 taterskins vs new england - do you believe in miracles?   
4-8 miami vs 4-8 eagles - needless to say a loss would do wonders here   
4-8 carolina at atlanta - tough spot for carolina but cameron can do it   
4-8 cleveland at pittsburgh - make that 4-9 cleveland

Rome

The line has been zesty all year long.   If it weren't for Vick's superhuman ability to evade tackles and run the farg away from trouble he'd probably be dead.

ice grillin you

if you are trying to convince me that you havent seen them play this year its working

but ill play along anyway and ask you why they gave up 50 sacks last year and are on pace for 28 this year

with the same superhuman qb they have gone from the 3rd most sacks allowed to the 3rd least

im curious as to why because it clearly isnt because the line has improved by leaps and bounds

BigEd76