2012 Eagles Draft Thread - Defense Please

Started by ice grillin you, December 02, 2011, 07:57:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drunkmasterflex

I would cum in my pants if they got Claiborne!
Official Sponsor of #58 Trent Cole

The gods made Trent Cole-Sloganizer.net

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Eagaholic

QuoteTampa Bay cornerback Ronde Barber told WQYK-AM on Friday that the Bucs have their eyes on cornerback Morris Claiborne.

"When I was deciding to come back, I had plenty of meetings with Mark [Dominik], and phone conversations with Mark, they told me they were bringing a guy in [cornerback Eric Wright]," Barber said, via JoeBucsFan.com.  "I was like, 'That's good. We need it.'"

When host J.P. Peterson said that the Bucs might draft Claiborne, Barber said, "We probably will."

Barber explained that he doesn't know much about Claiborne.  "I haven't watched any film of him," Barber said.  "I don't know how he plays or anything.  He was actually in our [secondary] room.  They did those little unofficial [predraft] visits or whatever.  He's a good kid.  He looks good.  He looks the part.  Everybody's high on him."

But there's no way the Eagles trade up to the 3rd pick anyway

SD

Quote from: ice grillin you on April 13, 2012, 09:09:37 PM
sd is the mathis hater....altho im not a big fan either...but what makes him so special...because banner inc signed him?....kinda like how when they start 6th rounders it must mean it was a great pick right?

and yes watkins sucks....right now....im not saying he cant be an average nfl starter one day....i mean its really hard to not at least be a decent guard as its the easiest position on the field to play...so if it makes you happy ill say he is probably better than mjg

I grew on Mathis as the season went on, I don't think he's great but he's fine for what they need. He also had the priviledge of playing alongside the best lineman in the game so we'll see how he does this year.

As far as Watkins/Kelce go both players came a long way towards the end of the season. You can't say "the Eagles were out of it"...the bottom line is they got the job done. The slow start was expected for 2 rookies with the lockout and all.

SD

Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on April 13, 2012, 09:05:08 PM
Watkins sucks. They should cut him.

Mathis sucked too, right?

Anyways sorry to interrupt but the lady who covers the Browns for the Plain-Dealer is reporting that the Rams and Eagles are interested in trading up to #4.

Interesting. For whom??

Blackmon? Kalil? Mo Claiborne?

None of the above. If they're really trying to trade up that high it's going to be for Tannehill. They'll let him ride the pine this season while Vick plays, then cut Vick next season and start Tannehill. It's the nightmare scenario I joked around about in the other thread that's going to come true. They'll probably have to sacrifice both 2nds too which is idiotic when these team has so many needs.

My guess is the Rams want Blackmon. 

ice grillin you

no chance they are trading up to four to get a guy who hasnt even started 20 games in college...well i will never say never with howie but trading up to 8 for tannehill would be stupid....trading up to four would be unspeakably so

cleveland is already at four and isnt going to take the guy....and at that point the earliest he goes is 8...so why the farg would you move to four for a huge questionmark
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

PhillyPhreak54

Quote from: SD on April 13, 2012, 10:50:41 PM
Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on April 13, 2012, 09:05:08 PM
Watkins sucks. They should cut him.

Mathis sucked too, right?

Anyways sorry to interrupt but the lady who covers the Browns for the Plain-Dealer is reporting that the Rams and Eagles are interested in trading up to #4.

Interesting. For whom??

Blackmon? Kalil? Mo Claiborne?

None of the above. If they're really trying to trade up that high it's going to be for Tannehill. They'll let him ride the pine this season while Vick plays, then cut Vick next season and start Tannehill. It's the nightmare scenario I joked around about in the other thread that's going to come true. They'll probably have to sacrifice both 2nds too which is idiotic when these team has so many needs.

My guess is the Rams want Blackmon.

If they trade up that high for Tannehill then they're farging nuts and it would be one of the worst moves in franchise history. He isn't worth it.

General_Failure

I suppose that would finally kill off whatever hope there was for them getting rid of Reid anytime soon.

The man. The myth. The legend.

Eagaholic

The more I think about this year's 1st round, the more I don't like what I see for a pick at 15, and the more I like the idea of the Eagles just trading out and picking up a 1st rounder next year and an extra second for now. I wouldn't be surprised if the Eagles do this. That or trading down in the 1st would be the other option.

At 15 I don't know if there will be anybody I'd want that's a decent value unless someone drops who is projected to go earlier. I'd be satisfied if Keuchly or Cox drop. Unlike a lot of people I'm not big on getting a DT at 15 (especially Poe or Brockers) though Cox would be ok.

On the other hand there's a bunch of players, at least one of whom might be there at 20 - 25 that I'd be fine with. Brockers, Barron, Floyd, DeCasto, maybe Kirkpatrick would do as well - I realize most of them are projected to go earlier but there's a decent chance one will drop. Every year there's somebody who does. I also wouldn't mind going up to the end of the 1st/early second for Zach Brown which might be a reach, but I'd consider it a value for the Eagles needs.

SD

Quote from: ice grillin you on April 13, 2012, 11:09:18 PM
no chance they are trading up to four to get a guy who hasnt even started 20 games in college...well i will never say never with howie but trading up to 8 for tannehill would be stupid....trading up to four would be unspeakably so

cleveland is already at four and isnt going to take the guy....and at that point the earliest he goes is 8...so why the farg would you move to four for a huge questionmark

It's possible Tannehill goes before the Miami pick and this is the type of bold stupid move the Eagles would make. Who else do they need at 4? Blackmon is probably not happening since they don't need a WR, Claiborne's a no since they already have 3 starting caliber CBs, Richardson isn't an option with Shady, maybe they like Ingram at DE but I doubt they'd trade up to 4 for him. Tannehill is the only player at 4 that makes sense. They need a QB of the future and were obviously interested in RG3 before the Skins traded up for him.

SD

The more I think about this the more I'm praying this is the Eagles throwing Heckert and the Browns a bone by letting them use their name in trade up rumors to help drive up the trade up price for the #4 pick.

ice grillin you

Quote from: SD on April 14, 2012, 05:54:07 AM
Quote from: ice grillin you on April 13, 2012, 11:09:18 PM

It's possible Tannehill goes before the Miami pick and this is the type of bold stupid move the Eagles would make. Who else do they need at 4? Blackmon is probably not happening since they don't need a WR, Claiborne's a no since they already have 3 starting caliber CBs, Richardson isn't an option with Shady, maybe they like Ingram at DE but I doubt they'd trade up to 4 for him. Tannehill is the only player at 4 that makes sense. They need a QB of the future and were obviously interested in RG3 before the Skins traded up for him.

i agree tannehill could go four to cleveland....but thats like a 5% chance...they are taking trent richardson if they stay there

claiborne would be an amazing pick at 4 and makes perfect sense....hes a straight up beast....imo the best player in the draft besides luck...and you have to look just farther than on paper at their cb position....as i mentioned assante is gone on draft day....drc is a free agent after the year and assy is an elder...its similar to taking a DT in the first round...on paper they seem fine at DT but really they need a young DT for the future...

obviously at 15 they dont have to give anything up to get a DT where the cost to move to four would be pretty substantial....id personally do it for claiborne because i want the best player but i can understand not wanting to give up picks for a position they are ok at this year
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

SD

QuoteMOCK ROUNDUP

Here's a roundup of the latest mock drafts.

SI.com's Peter King, who had the Eagles taking Danny Watkins last year, has them going with North Carolina defensive lineman Quinton Coples this year:

One coach used these words to me about Coples: "Gifted. Sporadic." We're getting to the part of the draft—mid first round—where beauty's in the eye of the beholder, and teams reach for pass rushers who often don't pan out. Philly D-line coach Jim Washburn is as demanding as they come, and Coples will have a chance to make the Eagles more formidable up front.

Steve Wyche of NFL.com has Fletcher Cox lasting to the Eagles' pick:

Cox is flying up draft boards. Adding him to the DT rotation could give Philly a relentless interior front.

Greg Bedard of The Boston Globe has the Eagles taking Memphis defensive tackle Dontari Poe:

There are a lot of questions about how hard Poe plays. Line coach Jim Washburn worked wonders with Albert Haynesworth, so this should be easier.

Dane Brugler of CBSSports.com has the Birds going with LSU's Michael Brockers:

It's no secret that Andy Reid prefers linemen in the first round, especially defensive linemen, making Michael Brockers a logical choice here. He is an intriguing prospect because he doesn't enter the NFL with a strong resume and is still very much an unpolished player. But the raw athletic ability matched with his large, long frame will be enticing for a defense who can mold the 21-year old into something special.

Rob Rang of CBSSports.com thinks the Eagles might still take Boston College linebacker Luke Kuechly:

No, I didn't forget that the Eagles traded for quality middle linebacker DeMeco Ryans. Perhaps the better question might be if you forgot how poorly Philadelphia's entire linebacking corps fared last season. In proving his athleticism at the Combine (and his jaw-dropping consistency throughout his entire career), Kuechly is earning top 15 grades from some clubs as an outside linebacker, as well as for the inside position. The addition of Ryans and Kuechly would turn what was the Eagles' worst unit into one of the team's greatest strengths.

Chris Steuber of ChrisSteuber.com has the Eagles taking Cox at 15.

Read more: http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/moving_the_chains/417-Eagles-draft-buzz.html#ixzz1sKYGeKuR
Watch sports videos you won't find anywhere else

Rome

SD

Quote from: Rome on April 17, 2012, 04:15:38 PM
Chris Steuber.   

Ha!

It's great they just throw him a bone there at the end.