2012 Eagles Draft Thread - Defense Please

Started by ice grillin you, December 02, 2011, 07:57:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ice grillin you

Roseman was questioned about the Eagles' attitude toward difference-making linebackers. He agreed that the wide-nine defensive front might mean the Birds need to look at different qualities in linebacker draftees than they prioritized previously. "There are priority positions in the NFL. If you ask me, if there's a quarterback and a linebacker [who are impact players], we are going to take the quarterback over the linebacker, no question," Roseman said. "But by the same token, I've never been part of a draft where we've gone in and said, 'This linebacker's great! We're not going to take him!' Sometimes it hasn't worked that way. Sometimes it just so happened that the class of linebackers in the draft hasn't kind of met up to where we're picking, but we're open to really good players at every position."
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

ice grillin you

from the fwiw category....

roob is on wip saying right now that they dont like kookly at all...but that perfect is definitely on their radar and in general he says they are def open to taking a LB in round one

Rome

Of course they don't like him.  He was ultra-productive in college and is universally regarded as the best MLB prospect in the draft.

Smartest guys in the room.

ice grillin you

they think hes soft according to roob....aka too white

imo this is great news that maybe they are reevaluating how they evaluate and are gonna go for talent now instead of cancer survivors with good character.....of course this could all be a smoke screen and kooks is the guy they really want

Rome

The funny thing is for once they'd be smart to take the high character guy but they'll over think it and take a tackle.

That's why the farging trophy case is still empty.

PhillyPhreak54

Feva

Quote from: ice grillin you on February 24, 2012, 08:49:59 AM
they think hes soft according to roob....aka too white

imo this is great news that maybe they are reevaluating how they evaluate and are gonna go for talent now instead of cancer survivors with good character.....of course this could all be a smoke screen and kooks is the guy they really want

You know this is the deal. He's got "Eagles" written all over him in their eyes. "High motor", "highly productive", not a "great" athlete guy instead of the more athletic, potentially higher impact guy.

I'm pretty much resigned to the fact that if they go LB in the 1st that it's gonna be Keuchly instead of the guys I'd really like to see them get like Berfict or Zach Brown.
"Now I'm completing up the other half of that triangle" - Emmitt Smith on joining Troy Aikman and Michael Irvin in the Hall of Fame

"If you have sex with a prostitute against her will, is that considered rape or shoplifting?" -- 2 Live Stews

ice grillin you

i suspect this is the case as well

i dont even hate kooks...i just want a playmaker...the best thing you can say about kooks is that he wraps up like no one else......sweet!

imo his ceiling is a 100+ tackle a year guy who doesnt really impact the game...and dont get me wrong theres nothing wrong with that and i think you have a really good chance of getting that with him...but id rather take a chance on perfect and have him bust but at least have the hope that hes gonna be ray lewis

Drunkmasterflex

I don't care who they take as long as they take a legit LB i.e. Kuechly, Burfect, or Brown.
Official Sponsor of #58 Trent Cole

The gods made Trent Cole-Sloganizer.net

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Rome

Burfict is not Ray Ray.  Lewis had issues coming out of college but dogging it/poor work ethic wasn't one of them.

Unless he has the combine of all combines he won't get drafted until the second round at the earliest.  I mean, it only takes one team, but still... too many character issues, he's undisciplined on and off the field... on and on it goes.

Feva

Quote from: ice grillin you on February 24, 2012, 10:13:19 AM
i suspect this is the case as well

i dont even hate kooks...i just want a playmaker...the best thing you can say about kooks is that he wraps up like no one else......sweet!

imo his ceiling is a 100+ tackle a year guy who doesnt really impact the game...and dont get me wrong theres nothing wrong with that and i think you have a really good chance of getting that with him...but id rather take a chance on perfect and have him bust but at least have the hope that hes gonna be ray lewis

Exactly. Between Keuchly, Berfict and Brown, he's probably the safest pick of the 3. But farg safe... I want a playmaker there, and I think Keuchly has the lowest ceiling in that aspect. Whenever I picture Keuchly in the pros, I just picture a guy giving hella effort, but just getting swallowed up by o-linemen and not being able to get off blocks consistently enough to make any real plays. They have a roster full of guys like that already.
"Now I'm completing up the other half of that triangle" - Emmitt Smith on joining Troy Aikman and Michael Irvin in the Hall of Fame

"If you have sex with a prostitute against her will, is that considered rape or shoplifting?" -- 2 Live Stews

ice grillin you

Quote from: Feva on February 25, 2012, 12:47:45 AM
Whenever I picture Keuchly in the pros, I just picture a guy giving hella effort, but just getting swallowed up by o-linemen and not being able to get off blocks consistently enough to make any real plays. They have a roster full of guys like that already.

listen to this guy people

PhillyPhreak54

Agreed.

Zach Brown or Dont'a Hightower, please. Not some goddamn Matt McCoy clone.

Don Ho

They haven't even selected yet and I'm already pissed.
"Well where does Jack Lord live, or Don Ho?  That's got to be a nice neighborhood"  Jack Singer(Nicholas Cage) in Honeymoon in Vegas.

SD

They aren't taking a LB in the first, they'll either select a Safety or D-lineman even though it's a weak draft for these positions [they don't give a farg]. What I hope they do is sign a veteran MLB like Stephen Tulloch [they have the cap space and he knows the wide 9] then draft another LB with one of their first 3 picks then maybe pick a high risk/high reward LB later in the draft.

As for their current LBs I thought Matthews played well late in the season, not saying he's the answer as a starter, but I think he can give the team some good snaps on D. Rolle is a perfect fit as a nickle LB on 3rd downs and Chaney is adequate. The wide 9 really hinges on the MLB because the rest of the D-line is spread out so much. If the MLB is taken out of the picture the rest of the LBs will suffer making up his ground. That's why it's vital to fill that position first then address the outside spots later.

Even though he's up there in age I'd still kick the tires on a guy like London Fletcher. He's a leader and still one of the most underrated MLB in the league. He'd be a great pickup for a year. The f/a LB crop is fairly deep with guys like Lofton from Atlanta and D'Qwell Jackson from Cleveland, so upgrading LB shouldn't be an excuse for Howie considering their needs.