Phillies Offseason Thread

Started by Rome, October 08, 2011, 02:27:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eagles_Legendz

Papelbon had a weak 2010.  Other than that he has been an amazing closer.  He also still seems like a douche, and I'm not a fan of paying $12.5 mil per year for a closer.  That being said, if they're going to overpay, I prefer it being for someone who is legit, rather than overpaying for mediocre players (see: Ibanez/Polanco/soon to be Cuddyer).  If they actually had 40 mil to play with, they still have 27 for SS/LF.  I would prefer to not give that to Papelbon but it shouldn't stop them from signing someone if they really want.

Eagles_Legendz

bell is not near papelbon.  madson is.

ice grillin you

they all are in the same boat...closers are closers...they are great for a year or two then they suck then they get hurt then they reinvent themselves

in the end this team is going nowhere with their offense....the window is closed...but if you are gonna go balls out for a player then it should have been an everyday player that could improve their offense
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

PoopyfaceMcGee

Safe to say you won't be getting any Papelboners this year either?

Eagles_Legendz

Quote from: ice grillin you on November 12, 2011, 04:00:51 PM
they all are in the same boat...closers are closers...they are great for a year or two then they suck then they get hurt then they reinvent themselves

in the end this team is going nowhere with their offense....the window is closed...but if you are gonna go balls out for a player then it should have been an everyday player that could improve their offense

I agree that the team desperately needs an upgrade on offense and that I'd rather see $50 mil allocated for that purpose. 

I don't agree that trotting out Joe Nathan would be the same as Papelbon next year.

ice grillin you

nathan could easily be better than paplebon next year...not saying he def will be but the point is that they are a coin flip as to who will be better...because thats what happens with closers

Rome

Or he could be Lidge. 

We get.it.  You think it's the worst ever.  Nothing new to see here.

Geowhizzer

If it's an either-or, I'd rather the Phils take a flier on a Joe Nathan and be able to continue to spend on keeping Rollins or signing a higher-level free agent.  Not completely sure that it IS either-or, though.

Nathan is coming into the second year post-TJ surgery, which is usually when the pitcher can once again let 'er rip.  When he was healthy, Nathan could dominate.

I'm just worried about Papelbon's loss of velocity last year.  Shades of Lidge, but he's already at least a year further.  Too much, too long.

Geowhizzer

Quote from: Rome on November 12, 2011, 04:54:03 PM
Or he could be Lidge. 

We get.it.  You think it's the worst ever.  Nothing new to see here.

Funny, I just made the Lidge comparison with Papelbon.  It's all a crapshoot anyway.

Rome

It definitely is.  I'd rather them take a shot at elite players than play it safe though.

Eagles_Legendz

Lidge had two blow up years prior to the Phillies taking a flyer on him.  Papelbon had one off year in 2010.  His numbers were astounding prior to 2010, and last year his ERA was back to being very solid and his peripherals (WHIP/K:BB/K:9 etc) were all stellar.  I think it's hard to compare Lidge to Papelbon in terms of performance regarding when the Phillies acquired both, but I am also concerned about Papelbon's arm.

Rome

That's why they're doing due diilligence on him.

Look, it could turn out to be a terrible signing.  History is replete with horror stories concerning the free agent signing of closers but the fact is they needed one and they got one of the best.

Is it a dice roll?  Sure.  But so is every other signing and I'd rather they roll the bones with guys like Papelbon than second or third rate slop.  We've had enough of those bums in the past, right?

Eagles_Legendz

ice grillin you

Quote from: Eagles_Legendz on November 12, 2011, 05:13:15 PM
Lidge had two blow up years prior to the Phillies taking a flyer on him.  Papelbon had one off year in 2010.  His numbers were astounding prior to 2010, and last year his ERA was back to being very solid and his peripherals (WHIP/K:BB/K:9 etc) were all stellar.  I think it's hard to compare Lidge to Papelbon in terms of performance regarding when the Phillies acquired both, but I am also concerned about Papelbon's arm.

bottom line is its hard to tell how a closer is going to be year to year which is why you dont throw four years at them....especially for monster money

Rome

You do if that's what the market demands.  They wanted a top flight closer and money was no object.  Is there some reason you're deliberately not understanding that or are you just doing your usual IGY contrarian thing?