Phillies Offseason Thread

Started by Rome, October 08, 2011, 02:27:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigEd76

Quote from: ice grillin you on November 12, 2011, 01:19:14 PMhes a shell of himself

Based on what....not winning a World Series in the last 4 seasons?  That final game against the Orioles was a fluke and you know it.  He's the only closer in history to have 30+ saves in each of his first 6 seasons and his worst year is still better than a good year for any of the other FA closers.  He's also not a one-year wonder that lucked into the spot because Contreras went down...oh wait....I'm mocking an ex-Phillie again so let's concentrate on that.

ice grillin you

i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

BigEd76

btw one of the MASN girls tweeted that Madson was only offered 3 years by the Phils and Boras asked for 4, and Seth Everett said this morning that Boras made up the whole 4/$44M "verbal agreement" to get other teams like the Nats to panic, jump in and offer more, so smug said F you and moved on to Papelbon instead

PoopyfaceMcGee

If it's Papelbon vs Madson, I really don't care. Look at the way closers usually perform after a contract like this. Money better spent elsewhere.

ice grillin you

madson is gonna sign for like 3-27....and heath bell for like 2-18....and then what are the phillies gonna feel like....they jumped the gun here like they did with ibanez

when you have massive holes elsewhere (ss, lf,) and need to get heidi done you dont need to be throwin 50+ mil at a farging closer...joe nathan for peanuts would have been a much better move

BigEd76

But they weren't going into the season with ODB, DeFratus, Stutes and Contreras in closer-by-committee roles.  They had to sign an established guy, and Bell probably isn't leaving California, K-Rod wants $10M+ too, Nathan and Broxton are recovering from injuries, and I don't trust guys like Matt Capps or Jon Rauch.  Like I said yesterday, I think Papelbon's an a**hole but he's a good a**hole, so we gotta deal with cheering for him

Rome

PhillyPhreak54

I think they spent too much and it sounds like Amaro's smugness led to them overpaying because of Boras doing what he usually does.

ice grillin you

Quote from: BigEd76 on November 12, 2011, 02:33:15 PM
But they weren't going into the season with ODB, DeFratus, Stutes and Contreras in closer-by-committee roles. 

huh?...who said they were?

you do know theres something in btwn the ridiculous deal they gave paplebon and having odb as your closer

the closer market this year is fairly deep....to rush out and break the bank like they did in paplebon is retarded

Rome

He's by far the best closer on the market.  And it's not your money they're spending so quit your bellyaching.

ice grillin you

no hes not the best closer by far on the market...the one position in FA you didnt need to lose your mind on was closer

the red sox who spend more money than god wouldnt even sign him for four years

and you dont understand the sport if you say the money doesnt matter....have fun with freddy galvis as your shortstop next year

they just ate up all oswalts money on a farging four year closer deal...its just a bad contract period

BigEd76

I'm talking about the people complaining about giving over $11M/yr to a closer (when Boras is asking for the same thing for Madson) and think a contending team is gonna use a 20-something making $500K, that isn't on the same level as a Kimbrel or Walden, to close out their games for a full season.  I just pointed out the sub-$10M options.  You really want one of those guys instead?  Dotel costs a 1st-rd pick too and did nothing until the playoffs.  Frank Francisco?  Chad Qualls?  Mike Gonzalez?  Lidge again?  Really?

and stop with Oswalt.  He wasn't coming back anyway...

ice grillin you

lol wow...im saying they used the monotary slot that oswalt had on a farging closer...when there were far more important positions to fill

Rome

Papelbon isn't by far the best closer available?  Really?  Who is remotely close?

ice grillin you

madson nathan bell

you want paplebon for 50+ mil and four years  to pitch a few times a week or a ss lf or 3b who is going to impact your team every inning of the whole year

not sure if you watched this team over the past few years but closer was the least of their issues

no closer in the world should ever get that kind of contract....especially when you have all these more important holes...now they spent a significant amount of their limited funds on a guy who pitches 60 innings a year

if the closer market was papelbon and matt capps then at least you can make an excuse as to why you did this but for god sakes let the market take shape and then move and make a smart monotary decision...jumping all in on this guy at this point in time was foolish