What would you trade Asante Samuel for?

Started by PoopyfaceMcGee, July 29, 2011, 06:47:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eagaholic

Apparently O'Hara has changed his mind

QuoteMarch 29, 2012

Any buzz that the Detroit Lions are interested in pursuing a deal for Philadelphia Eagles cornerback Asante Samuel has been swiftly muted and unplugged.

It apparently rates a zero on the noise meter.

"Not a chance," a league source with knowledge of the Lions' interest said Thursday.

The Lions have been seeking to upgrade the cornerback position since the end of the season, and Samuel's name has been mentioned prominently in potential trade talks.

There also was talk a year ago about Lions general manager Martin Mayhew pursuing a possible trade for Samuel.

SD

QuoteAdam Schefter
Eagles have been shopping CB Asante Samuel in recent days, according to NFL sources around league. Eagles looking to make trade before draft

In my opinion they'll be lucky to get a 4th or a 5th for him. At this point they don't need cap space so I'd be for keeping him unless a good offer comes along. I don want him off this team because I hate his attitude and he tackles like a Hoyda but he's still a decent playmaker and cover corner.

ice grillin you

one of the three corners has to go....they need a slot corner and none of them can play that position...can you imagine one of them having to ride the pine behind joselio hanson?...that aint gonna fly

trade assante and draft brandon boykin

assante can prettyy easily be cut as well...his dead money this and next year is fairly low
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Drunkmasterflex

They could take Gilmore at 15 if he is still there, there has been a lot of talk about him skyrocketing up the board.  He certainly can play the slot and had 6-7 sacks and is good in run support. 
Official Sponsor of #58 Trent Cole

The gods made Trent Cole-Sloganizer.net

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Eagaholic

QuoteThe Broncos apparently like their cornerbacks on the wrong side of 30.

According to Mike Klis the Denver Post, the team tried to trade for cornerback Asante Samuel, the 31-year-old cover man who has become a luxury the Eagles can no longer afford.

Per Klis, the Broncos made two proposals.  One would have sent a fifth-round or sixth-round draft pick to Philly, and the other would have sent a player.

The Broncos reportedly believe they can no longer make the trade happen.  On March 22, they signed former Saints conerback Tracy Porter (who is merely 25).  Last Friday, they cut veteran starter Andre' Goodman, who is 33.

The elder statesman and No. 1 corner for the Broncos is Champ Bailey.  He turns 34 in June.

It's widely believed that Samuel would have to reduce the value of the final two years of his contract in order to make a trade happen, given that he's due to earn base salaries of $10 million and $11.5 million, respectively, over the next two seasons.  And so he essentially has the ability to veto any trade by saying he won't cut his pay

A 5th or sixth isn't worth it unless they really spend the money on good upgrades.

If they could, they'd be better restructuring his contract to expire tomorrow and take a comp pick.

ice grillin you

a 5th or 6th is better than nothing which is what they will get when they cut him

and the money is going to go towards redoing shady and maybe mack

SD

Quote from: ice grillin you on April 20, 2012, 12:05:25 PM
a 5th or 6th is better than nothing which is what they will get when they cut him

and the money is going to go towards redoing shady and maybe mack

I doubt they cut him unless his agent lets him know he has two choices being accept a trade and rework your deal or get cut and roll the dice in free agency. For a 5th or a 6th I'd rather they held onto him in case DRC or Nmandi goes down. They have the money to redo Shady/Maclins deal right now so that shouldn't have a bearing on this issue...and even if it was an issue redoing their deals isn't a pressing issue till next offseason

ice grillin you

i wont say 100% but hes pretty much cut if they cant trade him...they dont want him even with a reworked deal....they have their outside corners and just need to upgrade the slot which assante cant play...and they want his money off the books to rework those deals i mentioned...assantes salary is almost as much as they currently have under the cap....11 mil under right now and assante make 10.5 this year.....they would love to have that money to work with and they will

General_Failure

Even if all they can do is use him to move up a couple spots in the second round, I'm totally fine with that.

The man. The myth. The legend.

SD

This is just my opinion and you're obviously entitled to disagree with it but the reason they want him off the team has nothing to do with his salary or his play on the field but his attitude is piss poor and he's a prima dona. The whole "I want to remain an Eagle" crap was pathetic...he wants to remain an Eagle because he knows no other team wants to pay him $10 million this year.

ice grillin you

i dont think its only about money but i think thats easily the biggest reason they are doing this

i do agree atitude is a part of it but ast on the list imo....yeah he moves to the beat of his own drum on the field but in geenral assante and andy seem to get along great...

i think number one is they dont want to pay a third corner 11 million bucks...not that hes literally a #3 cb but they dont need three outside starting corners at the prices they are paying them

i also think hes aging and this goes in line with their policy and a good one at that of getting rid of guys before they really fall off

additonally with washburn here now they want corners who can press...assante is a space guy and the wide nine relies on the edges getting to the QB real quick and the coners being pressed up on their wr....assante doesnt fit into that equation

if assante could play the slot id give him a better chance of being on the team next year but when you also take that out of the equation and combine it will all the other reasons i listed i just cant see him on the team next year at any price

ice grillin you

clayton saying assante to denver for a 5 or 6 sometime this week

SD

Quote from: ice grillin you on April 22, 2012, 01:22:59 PM
clayton saying assante to denver for a 5 or 6 sometime this week

meh...they've obviously decided to part ways with him which is fine by me. They were probably going to release him anyway I suppose.

phattymatty

awesome deal for denver if true.  still find it hard to believe they can't get more than a fifth though.

why not try to get a 2nd from the taterskins then just burn him deep 20 times next year.