Rest Of Baseball - 2011

Started by ice grillin you, March 31, 2011, 01:40:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PoopyfaceMcGee

Can we tie all this together by having him model the new uniforms?

PhillyGirl

hehe

Red Sox hiring Bobby Valentine as their new manager.
"Oh, yeah. They'll still boo. They have to. They're born to boo. Just now, they'll only boo with two Os instead of like four." - Larry Andersen

Sgt PSN

That sucks. I like him on bbtn.

PhillyPhreak54

Heath Bell signs with Miami 3ys $27M

Eagles_Legendz

ice grillin you

i was off by one year on bell but like i said if the phillies would have just let the market settle down and form itself they could have avoided giving that terrible deal to paplebon...shtein no one else in the majors was going to pay paplebon what they gave him...his number would have come down significantly

Quote from: ice grillin you on November 12, 2011, 02:31:44 PM
madson is gonna sign for like 3-27....and heath bell for like 2-18....and then what are the phillies gonna feel like....they jumped the gun here like they did with ibanez

when you have massive holes elsewhere (ss, lf,) and need to get heidi done you dont need to be throwin 50+ mil at a farging closer...joe nathan for peanuts would have been a much better move
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Eagles_Legendz

Bell's deal is worse than Papelbon's.

Eagles_Legendz

actually, I thought he was older than he is, so I take that back.  not worse, its about the same.  Papelbon is better, but the terms make it a wash.

Munson

Stark was on Phanatic the other day saying it's quite possible that Madson will have to accept the arbitration offer from the Phils.....said that there aren't a lot of teams left out there that are going to give MAdson the money he's asking for, and that the closer pool for next year's FA is going to be very very thin.
Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

ice grillin you

Quote from: Eagles_Legendz on December 01, 2011, 11:52:14 PM
Bell's deal is worse than Papelbon's.

any closer that gets more than three years is automatically a bad deal...five years is outrageous....bells deal is much better

especially when you consider how bad the philies are going to be in two three years much less five years from now...and that closer was at best their third highest priority this offseason

Rome

lol - calm down.  it's not your money and the phillies got the guy they wanted.  if he helps them win the series next year or any year within the frame of the deal, it's a bargain.

ice grillin you

i dont care about the money if they get a legit shortstop outfielder significantly improve the offense and resign heidi.....but theres no way paplebons contract doesnt effect in a tangible way what they do in those areas

Rome

Let's try this again... they offered Madson 4/44 which equates to 11 million a year.  They gave Papelbon 6 million more.  That's chump change and not only that they were paying Lidge the exact same yearly salary as Papelbon.  Basically they traded Lidge for Papelbon and the deal in no way prevents them from signing anyone else they want. 

Even if they waited and got Bell for 9 million a year, that's only 2.5 less than what they gave Papelbon.  Are you really going to allow yourself to repeatedly get into a twist over 2.5 million dollars with a team payroll of 180 million?

You hate Papelbon and think they spent too much to get him.  That's fine.  You're entitled to those opinions.  They thought differently and decided to act.  Deal with it.

ice grillin you

lol at madson getting that money...that offer alone shows how clueless and out of touch with the market they are

and i have nothing against paplebon its the contract and their roster priorities that are retarded...they used a significant portion of their minimal remaining resources on a guy who pitches 60 innings a year...so paplebons one of the best pitchers in baseball who throws one inning per game twice or three times a week and plays a position that is up and down and tends to get hurt....is that worth four and fifty?

meanwhile jimmy rolllins or a significant offensive upgrade in the outfield players that impact every inning of every game might not even sign for that much

they rushed into getting a player they didnt need and paid waaaaaay above market price during a time over the next few years when their funds will be limited.....thats what i have a problem with

Eagles_Legendz

i agree that they overpaid for papelbon, but i'd probably rather have 4 years @50mil for Papelbon than 3 @27 for Bell.  We'll see how he does outside of Petco.  Regardless, I'm against paying more than $10 mil for a closer period if you need that money somewhere else.  IF it doesn't impact their other expenditures than obviously that's great, but I agree that if it does I'd much rather pour that money into 3B or SS or LF etc.