Eagles fire McDermott

Started by SD, January 15, 2011, 05:48:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Diomedes

I noticed that too.  Move up in the goddamn draft to get a DE then make him cover TEs. 

I admit I'm not any kind of defensive genius, but goddamnit I know that is some stupid stupid shtein right there.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

PoopyfaceMcGee

Exactly. It bothers me a lot more than Cole, because at least Cole has the experience in the scheme to know how to change gears. It's hard enough to expect a rookie to battle against experienced NFL offensive linemen - why would you not let him focus on getting great at that first?

Diomedes

What's more....those 22 drop backs are in only 12 and a half games.  And he wasn't on the field for every defensive play either.

farg you McDermott and farg you Reid.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Sgt PSN

Maybe if the Eagles would put a little more emphasis on the LB positions, they wouldn't have to drop defensive linemen into coverage so often. 

And as far as Cole goes, it's pretty much been his mo to wear down as the year goes on.  This isn't really news. 

Diomedes

Maybe he wouldn't wear down so much if he had some goddamn help rushing the qb...from other linemen, from linebackers, from someone for farg sake....

Teams can just double him all they want and not worry about the rest. 

ice grillin you

Quote from: Diomedes on February 11, 2011, 12:30:53 PM
I noticed that too.  Move up in the goddamn draft to get a DE then make him cover TEs. 

I admit I'm not any kind of defensive genius, but goddamnit I know that is some stupid stupid shtein right there.

im not defending the practice but dropping back in coverage doesnt mean you are actually covering anyone and none of the de were required to run with a te...it basically means you didnt rush the qb...95% of the time they are dropping back to cover a small area just past the line of scrimmage to guard against a quick throw by the qb who dumping the ball off because of a blitz
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

reese125

I think you're (Dio) making excuses because Cole wasn't double-teamed all that much.

Sgt PSN

I think Dio wants to get double teamed by Cole and Graham.  That's the (not so) subtle signal he's sending here. 

Diomedes

I do like the idea of Cole shifting into a zone dog on my ass, I have to admit.  Brandon McDougle need not apply however.

Rome

Confusing the offense is a nice theory but so is beating the living shtein out of them the traditional way.

PoopyfaceMcGee

Exactly. That's why Dom Capers dropped B.J. Raji into coverage for the first time in a playoff game. No one saw it coming = pick six. The Eagles' D trickery surprises no one, so if they play a solid base defense and DON'T try wacky shtein, they will probably be more successful.

QB Eagles

Quote from: FastFreddie on February 11, 2011, 01:58:07 PM
The Eagles' D trickery surprises no one, so if they play a solid base defense and DON'T try wacky shtein, they will probably be more successful.

Alternately, maybe their base defense sucks so the only way they can get ahead of the game is to try wacky shtein.

Rome

No.  Their starters suck (mostly) so they have to rely on trickery.

Get better players and the constant need for fancy bullshtein disappears.

ice grillin you

Quote from: Rome on February 11, 2011, 01:56:17 PM
Confusing the offense is a nice theory but so is beating the living shtein out of them the traditional way.

agreed but the eagles dont have players to do that...i said it yesterday and it mentions it in the article as well that mcdermott was baiting and switching and using mirrors on defense so much because he couldnt beat anyone straight up with that he had to work with

it all comes back to the players...in his prime buddy ryan isnt fixing this defense...much less the coaching changes the eagles have made this offseason...mcdermott ran jim johnsons defense...im not saying hes as good a coordinator as jj...of course hes not close...but the main reason that one was good with the birds and one was bad is because of the defensive talent base...

jim johnson was dropping hugh douglas into coverage in 2001 and jevon jearse in 2004...but he had brian dawkins blitzing from everywhere and sheldon brown troy vincent coming from the corners...he had numerous good players to work with...rigth now the players are disgusting
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Rome

Their personnel decisions on defense have been almost as awful as their offensive ones have been stellar.  Not surprising but still infuriating.