Eagles fire McDermott

Started by SD, January 15, 2011, 05:48:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigEd76

Quote from: SD on January 19, 2011, 01:22:25 PM
Does Washburn not want to be a DC or something? Every article I read about this guy is better than the next.

I guess it's like Jim Johnson not wanting to be a head coach

PoopyfaceMcGee

Quote from: SD on January 19, 2011, 01:22:25 PM
Does Washburn not want to be a DC or something? Every article I read about this guy is better than the next.

He's probably looking to get paid like a DC only to coach the DL.

Sgt PSN

Quote from: charlie on January 19, 2011, 01:19:39 PM
Why do people assume that a player automatically wants to play for a previous coach again?

what if they hate each other?

Yeah, why would a guy want to play for a coach who helped make him successful?  I'm sure he prefers Washington. 

And Haynesworth doesn't really have the discipline to keep his mouth shut when it comes to his coaches.  If he didn't like Washburn in TN, he'd have said as much when he left and I don't recall him saying anything about it. 

SunMo

Washburn has been announced by the Eagles as the DL coach
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

SD

BigEd76

and it begins

Quote@JasonLaCanfora Eagles announce hiring of Titans DL coach Jim Washburn. Huge hire for them. May be the best in the biz. Worked wonders in Tenn...
@JasonLaCanfora Worth noting Washburn only coach to really reach Haynesworth. If he's available again, as expected, Albert would love to play for him again
@JasonLaCanfora Few have developed young, raw draft picks into elite talents like Washburn. taterskins had hoped to pluck him away when signed Haynesworth

SD

SD

http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/news/Sto...?story_id=23241

QuoteThe Eagles have announced the addition of Jim Washburn, formerly of the Tennessee Titans, as the new defensive line coach. Washburn comes with a sterling reputation and is considered a major coup for the Eagles.

"We are thrilled to add a quality defensive line coach in Jim Washburn," said head coach Andy Reid. "He had a great tenure with Jeff Fisher and the Tennessee Titans and he'll play a big part in the development of our defensive line moving forward. He's had a number of Pro Bowl players working under him over the years with the Titans and we're happy to have him join our coaching staff in Philadelphia."

Said Washburn: "Words cannot express the gratitude I have for Jeff Fisher and the Titans organization for allowing a nobody like me to coach in the NFL for the last 12 years.

"An opportunity came along for me to join the Eagles and I felt like it was good timing. At this stage of my career, I'm ready to make a change. This is no reflection on the state of the Titans but just a good opportunity for me.

"My wife, Sandy, and I have long planned to make Middle Tennessee our home and that is still our plan. However, we look forward to moving to Philadelphia and joining a top-flight organization like the Eagles and work for a premier coach in Andy Reid."

Washburn has spent the last 12 seasons as the defensive line coach of the Tennessee Titans. Since joining that post in 1999, the Titans have ranked 7th in the NFL in sacks (474), while ranking 5th against the run, limiting opponents to just 102.9 rushing yards per game during that span.

During his tenure with the Titans, Washburn oversaw the development of many talented players including Kyle Vanden Bosch, Tony Brown, Jason Babin, Kevin Carter, Albert Haynesworth, Jevon Kearse, Antwan Odom, Robaire Smith, John Thornton and Gary Walker. Seven of those players (Vanden Bosch, Babin, Carter, Haynesworth, Kearse and Walker) earned a combined eleven Pro Bowl selections under Washburn's tutelage. Among defensive linemen, both of those totals led the league during that span.

In 2008, the Titans led the NFL in defensive line sacks as they received sack production from nine different defensive linemen, accounting for 39.5 of the team's 44 sacks. Entering that season, five of those nine players had never registered a sack before. For his work with the unproven talent that season, Sports Illustrated's Peter King named Washburn his assistant coach of the year.

In Washburn's first year with the Titans in 1999, then-rookie Jevon Kearse went from college linebacker to all-pro defensive end as he set a NFL rookie record with 14.5 sacks. In his first five years with the Titans, Kearse racked up 70 sacks and earned three Pro Bowl berths.

Prior to joining the Titans, Washburn accrued over two decades of coaching experience at Houston (1998), Arkansas (1994-97), the Charlotte Rage of the Arena Football League (1993), the London Monarchs of the World Football League (1991-92), the Charlotte Barons (1990), South Carolina (1983-88), New Mexico (1980-82), Livingston (1979), Lees McRae Junior College (1977-78) and Southern Methodist (1976).

A native of Shelby, NC, the 61-year-old Washburn was a four-year letterman at Gardner Webb College, where he earned his bachelor's in physical education in 1973. He also added his master's degree from North Carolina A&T in 1975. Washburn and his wife, Sandy, have three children; Jessica, Brady, and Jeremiah, and six grandchildren; Allison Grace, Luke, Drew, Avery Jane, Megan and Cash

Don Ho

Quote from: BigEd76 on January 19, 2011, 01:54:59 PM
and it begins

Quote@JasonLaCanfora Eagles announce hiring of Titans DL coach Jim Washburn. Huge hire for them. May be the best in the biz. Worked wonders in Tenn...
@JasonLaCanfora Worth noting Washburn only coach to really reach Haynesworth. If he's available again, as expected, Albert would love to play for him again
@JasonLaCanfora Few have developed young, raw draft picks into elite talents like Washburn. taterskins had hoped to pluck him away when signed Haynesworth

Four months ago I wanted nothing to do with Haynesworth.  Now,  GET!
"Well where does Jack Lord live, or Don Ho?  That's got to be a nice neighborhood"  Jack Singer(Nicholas Cage) in Honeymoon in Vegas.

ice grillin you

i have no idea how good of a coach he is...i question anyone who hasnt had a promotion in over a decade but he def looks like he eats his young

i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

PoopyfaceMcGee

Well, he's probably an upgrade over Rory Segrest, so let's consider this a positive.

Until he keels over in the preseason and is replaced with an accountant.

SD

Apparently Mora left Denver without an offer

ice grillin you

Quote from: FastFreddie on January 19, 2011, 02:07:09 PM
Well, he's probably an upgrade over Rory Segrest, so let's consider this a positive.

lets be honest unless they hired someone named blaine it would have to be considered an upgrade...no football coach should ever be named rory segrest

rory segrest should be the striker for duke lacrosse
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Sgt PSN

Quote from: ice grillin you on January 19, 2011, 02:11:25 PM
Quote from: FastFreddie on January 19, 2011, 02:07:09 PM

lets be honest unless they hired someone named blaine it would have to be considered an upgrade...no football coach should ever be named rory segrest

rory segrest should be the striker for duke lacrosse

Or the host of a talk show on Lifetime. 

Drunkmasterflex

Quotei have no idea how good of a coach he is...i question anyone who hasnt had a promotion in over a decade but

its sort of like alex gibbs
Official Sponsor of #58 Trent Cole

The gods made Trent Cole-Sloganizer.net

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell