Eagles fire McDermott

Started by SD, January 15, 2011, 05:48:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drunkmasterflex

Quote from: FastFreddie on January 18, 2011, 02:29:59 PM
Let's all stop pretending that we know if certain current personnel are "suited" to a 3-4 and if that should be a key concern in the search for a new defensive coordinator.  It's not like they were lighting the world on fire in McDermott's 4-3, so who the farg really knows?

I think people can get an idea, you look for certain attributes from a size standpoint to operate the 3-4.  Tons of teams that run that scheme do exactly what the Eagles do..... ie put square pegs into round holes. 

Trot had a good spot on Sportsrise this morning, talking about how the team is too small in the front 7.  Its something that we all have known.  But he is the second former player that I have heard mention it.  He was saying either the LBs can be small or the Linemen not both. 
Official Sponsor of #58 Trent Cole

The gods made Trent Cole-Sloganizer.net

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

PoopyfaceMcGee

Perfect.  Sign one fat-ass.  Let the existing DT's and "size" DE's battle for the DE spots.  Put Trent Cole and Brandon Graham at OLB.  Let the existing LB's battle for the ILB spots.  Add some people.  Yay 3-4.

Seriously, 3-4 vs 4-3 might be even more of a red herring than the coordinator.  Like you said the Eagles already weren't playing guys to their strengths.

Drunkmasterflex

I don't disagree, I am just saying that you can get an idea of what type of front seven players you need for a system based on size attributes alone.  That is obviously making it very simplistic......but there are NFL teams that won't even look at a guy if he doesn't meet those requirements. 

Personally, I think a new DC is important. That being said this isn't CFB in the NFL talent rules. 

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Sgt PSN

Quote from: Drunkmasterflex on January 18, 2011, 03:05:28 PM
I am just saying that you can get an idea of what type of front seven players you need for a system based on size attributes alone.  That is obviously making it very simplistic......but there are NFL teams that won't even look at a guy if he doesn't meet those requirements. 

Are you saying that the NFL has a look test?

Drunkmasterflex

Seabiscuit36

"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

lurking wierdo

During the Hobbs piece he said what I consider the "magic words" of bad defense, "read and react". He specifically mentions read and react in the red zone. JJ was dead against any of the read react nonsense. You have to attack.

PoopyfaceMcGee

It's probably going to be Trgovac.

SunMo

he has high marks from many people, so it's worth a shot

just glad it's not Mora
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

SD

Quote from: FastFreddie on January 18, 2011, 07:20:21 PM
It's probably going to be Trgovac.

I'm a little surprised his name isn't popping up more. I'd rather go with hm then Mora/Davis/Jauron.

SunMo

i think it's because assistants can't interview during the playoffs
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

PhillyPhreak54

I'm ok with Trgovac.

He was here as the DL coach under Rhodes and did a good job and of course as the Panthers DC too.

ice grillin you

i dont know whats more underwhelming the firing or the hiring

actually the hire is beacause at least the firing came with an accountability factor that was as in your face as anything in the banner inc era
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

PhillyPhreak54

Tomahawk