Eagles fire McDermott

Started by SD, January 15, 2011, 05:48:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tomahawk

Good....when a team puts out a historically bad red zone defense, somebody has to pay. Hopefully the new DC will fire the "speedballs" philosophy too

Eagaholic

Quote from: SunMo on January 16, 2011, 11:41:09 AM
on ESPN this morning, Mort said to look out for Jim Mora (i'm assuming Jr.) for the job.

i'm sure he can get Ernie Sims to grow 3 inches, gain 30 pounds and take better angles on the ball.

Sims averaged 125 tackles a year under Marinelli and McDermott used him in a similar way. Just sayin. He's not all pro material but even if he doesn't get back to that level, a good coach could doubtless get more out of him.

SunMo

why do people think the philosophy is going to change?  it isn't.  the philosophy comes from Andy and he'll hire someone who shares his view on defense.

he hired JJ because of the type of scheme his defenses were. 

JJ had tremendous talent to use and used them well.  the problem is, ray rhodes players started leaving and Andy Reid players started taking over.
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

rjs246

Why is that an assumption? What evidence do we have that the defense is an extension of Andy Reid's philosophy on that side of the ball?
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

SunMo

um, because he's said it a million times.

Tomahawk

I'm more hoping the philosophy will change than thinking it will. There's a better chance it changes now than if McDermott weren't fired.

Diomedes

how could the "philosophy" NOT change? 

Beyond the draft, I don't think Reid spends much time thinking about the defense.  In support of this claim I remind you that he is a former offensive lineman, a Ginger, and a Mormon.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

rjs246

Quote from: SunMo on January 16, 2011, 12:06:08 PM

Outside of vanilla non-quotes I've never heard Reid say anything substantial about the defense. Not a single word. Certainly nothing about his personal philosophy. He just regurgitated JJ's philosophy. Entirely possible that I've missed millions of his thoughtful pontifications about the workings of the defense, but I have never had the impression that he had a hand in crafting the scheme.

Let them eat bootstraps.

Tomahawk

Quote from: Diomedes on January 16, 2011, 12:07:27 PM
how could the "philosophy" NOT change? 

Beyond the draft, I don't think Reid spends much time thinking about the defense.  In support of this claim I remind you that he is a former offensive lineman, a Ginger, and a Mormon.

Word on the street is Reid has said at least a billion times that the defensive philosophy is his. Sorry, no link to validate

SunMo

Quote from: rjs246 on January 16, 2011, 12:10:42 PM
Quote from: SunMo on January 16, 2011, 12:06:08 PM

Outside of vanilla non-quotes I've never heard Reid say anything substantial about the defense. Not a single word. Certainly nothing about his personal philosophy. He just regurgitated JJ's philosophy. Entirely possible that I've missed millions of his thoughtful pontifications about the workings of the defense, but I have never had the impression that he had a hand in crafting the scheme.

he's the head coach and makes all personnel decisions.  but yeah, i'm sure Jim farging Mora is going to get him to change is mind about fastballs.

General_Failure

Maybe he'll convince Reid that Vick guy will never amount to anything.

The man. The myth. The legend.

rjs246

I'm sure that Andy Reid gets no input on defensive personel decisions from his defensive coaches. Makes sense.

Let them eat bootstraps.

Diomedes

As I understand it, the DC in Philly is really just a figurehead.  He gets no input in the draft, in which players start, in what overall scheme to run (3-4, 4-3, 6-1, etc), when to call a blitz, etc.  It's all Andy.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

SunMo

why is this hard to comprehend?

andy reid has always said the lines on both side of the ball are most important.  he said that pressuring the quarterback is job #1 of the defense.  so, he found a defensive coordinator (johnson) who shared this philosophy.

andy reid is a control freak who oversees every aspect of the football team...but now i'm supposed to believe that he just picked a name out of a hat for his first defensive coordinator and then adopted is philosophy?

holy shtein, this is neaderthal level retarded, even for this board.

SunMo

Quote from: rjs246 on January 16, 2011, 12:18:04 PM
I'm sure that Andy Reid gets no input on defensive personel decisions from his defensive coaches. Makes sense.

input?  yes.

but the input is from guys who share his philosophy...just like the next guy.  so the input amounts to, "Yeah, i like that small fast guy too Andy!  Draft him!"