Philly Fan Project

Started by ice grillin you, May 04, 2010, 07:44:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ice grillin you

really cool series the daily news is running this week

About the Philly Fan Project
Philadelphia Daily News

This four-part series is all about you - the Philadelphia sports fans - what you think, who you like, how you enjoy sports.

In an effort to assemble the most wide-ranging fan-attitude survey done in the region, a collaboration was formed among the Daily News, philly.com and the Sport Industry Research Center at Temple University.

The result is "The Philly Fan Project," beginning today in the Daily News and online at philly.com.

"Philadelphia has a lot of stereotypes about its sports fandom, this may help either contextualize or create some new ideas about what sports fans think in Philadelphia," said Dr. Aubrey Kent, the research center's director.

The survey reflects the responses of 2,303 subscribers to the Philly.com daily sports newsletter in the eight-county region of Philadelphia and the Pennsylvania and South Jersey suburbs.

Surveys were distributed online to those who lived within the target area and had signed up for the newsletter. Results are representative of the entire group of subscribers within 2 percent plus or minus.

Responses were collected for 18 days in mid-March.

After the data was compiled, the Daily News did more than 100 interviews with fans, current and former Philadelphia athletes and team officials to provide reaction and context.

http://www.philly.com/dailynews/hot_topics/92701604.html

i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Sgt PSN

For a guy who at one time didn't know how to use the quote feature, you've really come a long way.  I'm proud of ya, Dook Digler. 

I'm curious as to what the Eagles/Phillies ratio would have been in say, 2005 or 2006 when the Eagles were recently in a Super Bowl and the Phils were in a 12-13 year playoff drought.  It's nearly a 2:1 ratio in favor of the Phils and I'd be willing to bet that a few years ago, those numbers would be reversed....and then some. 

Same goes for the Flyers and Sixers.  Flyers are decent right now and the Sixers blow.  Both will probably always rank below the Phils and Eagles but their popularity will flip flop with each other based on which team is currently performing better. 

So this just proves what we already knew.....Philly fans love whoever is winning and hate whoever isn't.  Nothing else to see here, folks. 

rjs246

QuoteAs for favorite team apparel to wear, the Phillies again prevailed with 57 percent. The Eagles placed second with 28 percent. Respondents wear team apparel an average of 8 days per month.

Awful.
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

ice grillin you

yeah theyd be reversed...they also took poll recently and asked he same people whether philly was a baseball or football town and football won with like 60% of the vote i believe

ice grillin you

yeah 8 is week...thats basically saying you wear it every weekend day...duh...who doesnt

im sitting at my desk at work right now with an eagles t shirt on

PhillyPhreak54

I wear Phillies, Eagles and 76ers polo's at work from time to time. Good conversation pieces especially when i walk into one of my cowboy fan customers shops.

As for the football town/baseball town thing - no doubt it would have been reversed. a lot of bandwagon phils fans since the WS win.

Geowhizzer

Wore my Phillies tie today.

PhillyGirl

PSN, I think the fans are just so sick of the Eagles and how they run their ship.....
"Oh, yeah. They'll still boo. They have to. They're born to boo. Just now, they'll only boo with two Os instead of like four." - Larry Andersen

rjs246

Quote from: Geowhizzer on May 04, 2010, 11:22:43 PM

There's something sort of acceptable about a teacher wearing his favorite team's tie in class. There's something wildly pathetic about otherwise employed grown men wearing sports paraphernalia on the job.
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

Sgt PSN

Quote from: PhillyGirl on May 04, 2010, 11:24:28 PM
PSN, I think the fans are just so sick of the Eagles and how they run their ship.....

I don't disagree that the fans are sick of the nickle and diming going on with the Eagles but if the Phils didn't win the WS in 2008 then there is almost no way they rank ahead of the Eagles....or it's at least a hell of a lot closer than nearly a 2:1 ratio.  And if the Phils were still just a .500ish team over the last 3 years then the Eagles take 70% of that poll with the other 30 getting divided among the Phils, Sixers and Flyers. 

Sgt PSN

Quote from: rjs246 on May 04, 2010, 11:24:40 PM
Quote from: Geowhizzer on May 04, 2010, 11:22:43 PM

There's something sort of acceptable about a teacher wearing his favorite team's tie in class. There's something wildly pathetic about otherwise employed grown men wearing sports paraphernalia on the job.

I buy Eagles and Phillies cammo gear and wear it at work.  And pretty much everywhere else.  And when I'm sleeping, I'm dreaming about new gear I want to buy. 

ice grillin you

if the phillies dont win that ws the eagles are still ahead because of the cliff lee move...people already arent happy with it but without the ws buffer there are riots right now over letting him go

minus the 08 ws essentially the two would be the same franchise right now cept football is much more popular than baseball

SD

Quote from: Sgt PSN on May 05, 2010, 01:32:19 AM
  And if the Phils were still just a .500ish team over the last 3 years then the Eagles take 70% of that poll with the other 30 getting divided among the Phils, Sixers and Flyers. 

Easily if not more. This is a football town.

And the Phillies becoming so popular was the best thing that could have happened to Eagles fans. It knocked the Eagles down a peg and made them reassess the team.

Rome

That poll is a joke.

When (if?) the Eagles win the Super Bowl the celebration that will take place will dwarf what happened with the Phillies.

ice grillin you

it goes to show the unbelievable disconnect btwn the eagles front office and the fanbase...shtein you are at the forefront of hating the regime i find it very surprising that you would think the poll is a joke

there are other factors that have been mentioned...the world series obviously

but at the heart of it is the fact that the phillies are about as fan friendly as you can be and the eagles are pretty much the opposite

the parade would be bigger for the eagles because more people like football than baseball but for a variety of factors
i dont think an eagles parade would have the same feel of pure joy that the phillies did